California jewelry store owner stops smash-and-grab attempt

Five males approached the store, according to the press release, and one of them pulled out a crowbar when entering the jewelry store. The owner, Usman Bhatti, shouted at the male to stop, but he continued to smash a glass display case. The male turned towards the owner of the jewelry store and raised the crowbar, but the store owner pointed his firearm, which was carried lawfully, at the male, according to police. After the store owner pointed his firearm at the male, the male left, but another individual drew a firearm at the store owner. The store owner responded by pointing his firearm at the male, and the group ran away. No injuries were reported, and the store owner did not discharge his weapon, according to police.

Five males approached the store, according to the press release, and one of them pulled out a crowbar when entering the jewelry store. The owner, Usman Bhatti, shouted at the male to stop, but he continued to smash a glass display case. The male turned towards the owner of the jewelry store and raised the crowbar, but the store owner pointed his firearm, which was carried lawfully, at the male, according to police. After the store owner pointed his firearm at the male, the male left, but another individual drew a firearm at the store owner. The store owner responded by pointing his firearm at the male, and the group ran away. No injuries were reported, and the store owner did not discharge his weapon, according to police.
I'm sure the store owner could have legally shot the robber who pointed a gun at him.
The store owner is super lucky he was not shot.
Not only that but IF the store owner DID shoot 1st there would be a headache of troubles in his future.
Things just worked out luckily.

This is an example of having a gun is enough to prevent crime without actually firing the gun.

There needs to be a new Tik Tok challenge.

Go into a fancy mall with a giant sledge hammer. Just carry it around but DONT do anything wrong.
Have a buddy record the reactions of people.
Is that probable cause for detention?
Everybody will be calling the cops on you.
I think it would be a great social experiment but will surely get you on a list.

Regarding the OP - I can hardly believe that this actually happened INSIDE a mall rather than a store front.

Wonderful. It shows the rest of them that they can "try it" and not get perforated. Jack.
I agree, he should have shot all of them immediately.

Now, they're likely angry at their failure to successfully rob him and will probably send someone in to kill him right off the bat, then the rest of their crew will walk in and clean the place out.

Does someone coming in with a crowbar not put your life in danger and call for deadly force? Jack.
Not if he's part of the demo crew you hired to tear out the old bathroom et al, otherwise he'd get about two steps in from the doorway.[thumbsup]

I'm sure the store owner could have legally shot the robber who pointed a gun at him.
The store owner is super lucky he was not shot.
Not only that but IF the store owner DID shoot 1st there would be a headache of troubles in his future.
Things just worked out luckily.

This is an example of having a gun is enough to prevent crime without actually firing the gun.

There needs to be a new Tik Tok challenge.

Go into a fancy mall with a giant sledge hammer. Just carry it around but DONT do anything wrong.
Have a buddy record the reactions of people.
Is that probable cause for detention?
Everybody will be calling the cops on you.
I think it would be a great social experiment but will surely get you on a list.

Regarding the OP - I can hardly believe that this actually happened INSIDE a mall rather than a store front.

I was running through a scenario like this with my son last week. He's in 8th grade and was getting teased in class. Bad. He didn't like it. He REALLY didn't like that the teachers didn't do squat.

So we worked on some TKD-centered responses after my first suggestion of "I'd come back with a 'yo-momma' joke, but be ready for the roundhouse from the left."

(My problem is that this stuff goes on in FRONT of the staff and they do nothing. But the minute my kid defends himself, you KNOW they're going to try and throw the book at him.)

Anyhow, he chose to endure. . . and one of his teachers ripped one kid a new one 2 days later. So it restored my faith in humanity.

But it was a complete disconnect to him. There are all of these societal rules. You don't get punched. You CERTAINLY don't need to be ready to react and fight back. It's just a different planet than the one he lives on every day.

Same with a gun situation. Some guy comes in with a crowbar. 99% or the people on this thread (myself included), "I'm dropping him as soon as he goes at me." Probably about 5% would even get to the point of CONSIDERING to pull the trigger. Because 8,000 different thoughts - most centered around "this isn't happening" are going through our minds.

Second guy pulls a GUN. Now you're in a DOUBLE "WTF" Loop. You are still reeling from the shoot/noshoot decision tree on Guy 1. Now Guy 2 presents a BIGGER threat. "THIS ISN'T HAPPENING!!!!"

No thanks. If I go my entire life without being in a situation where I need to draw a weapon, I'll be very happy.

I'm sure the store owner could have legally shot the robber who pointed a gun at him
as store owner drew first most likely all the good robber did was a legit self-defence from an aggressive gun-toting imperialist. no mercy.

it is really as simple as it is - you now enter the era of a traditional class warfare. a perceived social justice overweights the traditional law. and social justice is always on the side of the criminal, as he is a socially relatable person, while the victim is a potentially wealthy privileged class non-relatable entity. so, get used to the upcoming rule of lumpenproletariat, everywhere.

Last edited:
I was running through a scenario like this with my son last week. He's in 8th grade and was getting teased in class. Bad. He didn't like it. He REALLY didn't like that the teachers didn't do squat.

So we worked on some TKD-centered responses after my first suggestion of "I'd come back with a 'yo-momma' joke, but be ready for the roundhouse from the left."

(My problem is that this stuff goes on in FRONT of the staff and they do nothing. But the minute my kid defends himself, you KNOW they're going to try and throw the book at him.)

Anyhow, he chose to endure. . . and one of his teachers ripped one kid a new one 2 days later. So it restored my faith in humanity.

But it was a complete disconnect to him. There are all of these societal rules. You don't get punched. You CERTAINLY don't need to be ready to react and fight back. It's just a different planet than the one he lives on every day.

Same with a gun situation. Some guy comes in with a crowbar. 99% or the people on this thread (myself included), "I'm dropping him as soon as he goes at me." Probably about 5% would even get to the point of CONSIDERING to pull the trigger. Because 8,000 different thoughts - most centered around "this isn't happening" are going through our minds.

Second guy pulls a GUN. Now you're in a DOUBLE "WTF" Loop. You are still reeling from the shoot/noshoot decision tree on Guy 1. Now Guy 2 presents a BIGGER threat. "THIS ISN'T HAPPENING!!!!"

No thanks. If I go my entire life without being in a situation where I need to draw a weapon, I'll be very happy.
Keeping stuff private.
In MA I was in a building alone during a break in within 12 months. (Not my home)
The break in happened off hours so the people did not think anyone was in the store

It took me 30 seconds to figure out what was going on. (What is that noise? Is that construction at midnight? Etc)

It took me 10 seconds to be armed and at the point I turned off the lights to put myself in a advantage (IMO)

They saw me and

They ran out at that point.

I did not have a holster on me but the firearm never left my pocket.

Yes next time I would process it quicker but for self preservation in this state drawing or sh00ting someone in self defense is real low on the list of what I would do

Because I did not draw or mention being armed the whole situation was minimally in the public

It's too bad he wasn't able to give the robbers a little lead jewelry to wear.

They'll be back and will be shooting this time. Dude should have vented them all.

should have ventilated the guy with the gun
He's in a mall, with the proverbial "bus full of nuns" in the background. Remember the cop that recently shot someone in a parking lot. The bullet either went through or missed the target, went into a nearby building and killed a random girl in a changing room. This guy was faced with a hard choice, and he apparently either froze and got lucky or didn't shoot on purpose and got lucky.

He's in a mall, with the proverbial "bus full of nuns" in the background. Remember the cop that recently shot someone in a parking lot. The bullet either went through or missed the target, went into a nearby building and killed a random girl in a changing room. This guy was faced with a hard choice, and he apparently either froze and got lucky or didn't shoot on purpose and got lucky.
Well, there is 000 buck. Jack.

No. That was a stupid cop. Not us amazing, tactically advantaged, Robin Hood aiming MOFO's of the CCW community. They suck. We is awesome. Nuffsaid.

Did you see our buddy from FL that took out a road rager on I95??? ROFL!!!! I hear he can't. [rofl]

Remember the cop that recently shot someone in a parking lot. The bullet either went through or missed the target, went into a nearby building and killed a random girl in a changing room.
Yeah, here's a picture of the parking lot.
61cb4b9b07cb8e001811ce2a

Back
Top Bottom