• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

California going full retard.....again

You’re not wrong.
I’m a believer in the cyclical theory/view of history and as Twain is purported to have said, “history doesn’t repeat itself, but it often rhymes.”

I had to read to Kill A Mockingbird in High School eons ago. I am not a book reader, not even today, but that was the only book I couldn't put down and had a profound effect on me.

This isn't doing kids any favors. I get that there are controversial topics and motifs in some of those books, but censoring them or pretending that those times didn't exist isn't going to help kids learn anything. It's like a re-write of history where nothing controversial ever happened. Removing them completely is dumb. Maybe implement some work-arounds for individuals or classes that might get too worked up over the subject matter, but complete annexation is censorship and re-writing history.

On a separate note, if one is "The Gay", is that like the highest tier gay? Like there's flamboyant, bi-curious, gay, and then The Gay?
Tell the colored kids they dont have to read them.

Atticus "One-shot" Finch uses a rifle to put down a rabid dog. That's bad. The dog should have had its choice to be infected with its choice of virus validated. That's why.

Also, one of the neighbors is an old lady (it's been a long time, I forget her name) who keeps a "CSA revolver" under her blanket, as she sits on the porch. Nobody (other than me) knew what that phrase meant. [rolleyes]

On a lighter note, when the kids were little, we'd go for walks around the neighborhood. One of the houses had a tree, with cement patching a hole in the trunk. I told the kids that the Radleys lived there. Several years later, they got the joke. Sometimes, humor takes time....[laugh]
All valid....except I would have included the -n- word snowman as a reason too (even though I laughed out loud when I first read that as a 10 year old)

4/5 for me; kids used to have more gumption. Now they ask for “a break” every 10 minutes during a 45 minute class so they can check their snapcrap and instaspams. Sad.

Back
Top Bottom