• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

California’s Newsom signs bill allowing citizens to refuse to help a police officer

Reptile

NES Member
California Gov. Gavin Newsom, a Democrat, on Tuesday signed a bill that no longer requires any "able-bodied person 18 years of age or older" in the state to help an officer who requests assistance during an arrest.

The Sacramento Bee reported that the old law, the California Posse Comitatus Act of 1872, was common in the country’s early days, but Sen. Bob Hertzberg, a Los Angeles Democrat who sponsored the bill, called the old law a “vestige of a bygone era." The law was employed to help catch runaway slaves, the report said.

The old law made it a misdemeanor that carried a fine of up to $1,000 for refusing to help a police officer who requested assistance during an arrest.

The report said Newsom did not issue a statement after signing the bill.

The California State Sheriff’s Association said in a statement that it is “unconvinced that this statute should be repealed.”

California’s Newsom signs bill allowing citizens to refuse to help a police officer

The original law said you were forced to help a police officer arrest somebody if asked.

Could you just imagine that in Massachusetts?

Say a suspect is in the process of beating a cop to death and he asks for you, a CCW holder to save him.

If you shot the misunderstood gentleman who was trying to kill the officer, and the gentleman died or was injured - you will get sued into oblivion.

In the process you will lose your own right to carry a gun to defend your own family and possibly be sent to jail.

Paul Langone risked his own life to intervene at MGH with his CCW to save the life of a psychiatrist who was being stabbed by a patient.

The state of Massachusetts took away his LTC and wrecked his life for over a year threatening to charge him with murder.

That was probably the most slam dunk case of a CCW good guy with a gun being a hero and saving a life in Massachusetts. Yet, Paul was almost sent to jail.

DA says MGH shooting ‘justified’ - The Boston Globe

Good call here by Newsom. I would never risk my life and freedom to save a police officer if it meant that I would end up in jail myself.

There was even a case discussed here on NES where a cop was being attacked on the side of the road and was rescued by a CCW holder. I think the attacker was shot. Not sure.

If that happened in Massachusetts the attacker's family would be suing the good Samaritan.

Massachusetts AG Coakley - "All I'm saying is that...we really try and discourage people from self-help."

The SCOTUS says the police are not obligated to help you, either.

I agree compulsory help to the state is unconstitutional. It is by definition slavery.
It sure would have been funny, if under the old law, a police officer wrestling a thug to the ground, demands assistance from his fellow thug who is standing outside the liquor store.

The would be police assisting thug would sooner dump a bucket of water on the police officer while the other thugs record it on their iPhones while yelling "World Star".

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCxFn6ygtv0

If I was in Texas, I'd be more likely to help the police officer since the Maura Healey wont throw me in jail afterward.

"Stop resisting!!!"

But then again, snitches get stitches.

Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Wow, a good bill came out of California. While I do like to help people when I can, being forced to help a cop has very little benefit for me but plenty of opportunity for me to be screwed. I could get hurt during the helping. The cop could charge me with something if I "did it wrong". The bad guy, or the good guy, that the cop was dealing with could also sue me. No thanks.

The Sacramento Bee reported that the old law, the California Posse Comitatus Act of 1872, was common in the country’s early days, but Sen. Bob Hertzberg, a Los Angeles Democrat who sponsored the bill, called the old law a “vestige of a bygone era." The law was employed to help catch runaway slaves, the report said.

Wait...didn't slavery officially end before 1872?

Wait...didn't slavery officially end before 1872?

Nope, just the kind of slavery known as chattel slavery. Since then, they have migrated to tax slavery. It works better because most people don't realize they are still a slave. But, in reality, the government still thinks they own everyone.

Nope, just the kind of slavery known as chattel slavery. Since then, they have migrated to tax slavery. It works better because most people don't realize they are still a slave. But, in reality, the government still thinks they own everyone.

That's what i meant, "We the People" owning slaves, not "muh Social Contract says I owe the .gov 75k before I'm actually born" stuff

While I agree with the sentiment here we know what this bill is about, Newsom bowing to the leftist agenda. All the big cities run by Dems are turning into shitholes because their Mayors won't support law enforcement and is allowing the inmates to run the asylum. Good luck with anarchy brought by the Leftists.

they are not saying you cannot aid an officer if asked. they are just saying if asked you do not need to assist and you won't be fined if you do not.

So, will this lead to the point where subjects no longer need to listen to police orders because they might be aiding the police?

Wow, a good bill came out of California. While I do like to help people when I can, being forced to help a cop has very little benefit for me but plenty of opportunity for me to be screwed. I could get hurt during the helping. The cop could charge me with something if I "did it wrong". The bad guy, or the good guy, that the cop was dealing with could also sue me. No thanks.
Define "help". My own definition would be a 911 call describing the situation and location so backup officers could be dispatched. That would be the extent of my involvement. If I got killed, the police department would not establish a gofundme to financially assist my widowed wife and my two now-fatherless daughters. If I ended up crippled, same thing. I would end up being a burden to my family and the cops wouldn't give a shit. They would distance themselves and call me a "vigilante" who interfered in a police matter.

Define "help". My own definition would be a 911 call describing the situation and location so backup officers could be dispatched. That would be the extent of my involvement. If I got killed, the police department would not establish a gofundme to financially assist my widowed wife and my two now-fatherless daughters. If I ended up crippled, same thing. I would end up being a burden to my family and the cops wouldn't give a shit. They would distance themselves and call me a "vigilante" who interfered in a police matter.
I served as a part-time police officer for 17 yrs. One day talking with the chief (personal friend) he advised me that if any of were to get hurt or killed, that the town and workers comp would pay us/next of kin absolutely nothing!

Based on a friend who was injured on the job (rear-ended when he stopped cruiser to allow a woman to cross the street and very seriously injured in the accident, town forcibly retired him (he was full time and had 27 yrs on the job) and left him with 6-figures medical bills to pay on his own. It seems that state law only requires a town to cover $20K in medical bills for full-time employees.

I'd say that 308rifleman is spot-on, that no town (in MA, I can't speak for other states) would lift a finger to help the injured or next of kin in a case where "joe citizen" stopped to help an officer and got injured/killed.

Back
Top Bottom