• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Caliber debate from a different perspective, thoughts?

My S&W M&P 45 acp is a 14+1.........

Those magazines are obnoxious big.

I like the 9mm over the .40 for one reason only. Well, two I guess. One, I like my followup shots with most 9's better. Two, .40 was specifically designed for woman and for girly men. [devil]

The difference between handgun rounds is negligible compared to the difference between handgun and rifle rounds, generally speaking. Relative to a typical rifle round, handgun rounds are all as equally ineffective. The only reason to carry a handgun is because a rifle is to big and bulky to conceal.

I don't give a crap which caliber you pick. If you can hit the target it doesn't really matter. If you can't hit your target you'll likely see a lot of backside in a wicked hurry to get out of site after the first bang of the gun. Chances are both scenarios put you out of danger. If they start shooting back at you you'd better learn to run fast or shoot better in a big damn hurry!

ThisX1^. 8 or 14 rounds? Most self defense shootings are over in a few rounds. Are you carrying for self defense or a shootout at the OK corral?

Last edited:
This is nice...

400px-Smith%26Wesson500-4inch.jpg

"Hot" 40S&W seems to hit about 1100fps with a 180gr bullet (I had about 2K handloads of these, loaded about 120fps faster than the HST I have) reaching 484ft/lbs of energy

Mike

Here is a hot .40:
site_logo.gif.jpg

Built to the tightest tolerances for peak performance rivaling and sometimes surpassing handloads in many guns. This ammunition is new production, non-corrosive, in boxer primed, reloadable brass cases.

Technical Information

• Caliber: 40 S&W
  • Bullet Weight: 135 Grains
  • Bullet Style: Nosler Jacketed Hollow Point
  • Case Type: Brass

Ballistics Information:
  • Muzzle Velocity: 1500 fps
  • Muzzle Energy: 675 ft. lbs
White Feather

But was it.. FULLY LOADED at the time?? With an Assault clip?

But on a serious note... It's not scientific or anything.. but I have never found a 40 that I am able to shoot near as well as just about any other caliber.. 9/45/38/44 etc..

Channel 7 did say "Fully Loaded", "Clip", and "Semi-Automatic" in their blip about this.

These threads always make me laugh..
I'm willing to bet most of the people arguing which round is "better" have never killed anything with a fire arm in REAL LIFE! Ballistics gel doesn't mean diddly, live targets have skin/fur, clothing, fat, and bones, that being said, all modern calibers are adequate.
I hunt almost everyday during the season and get to see firsthand what firearms can do. Duck hunting for example has a wide variety of hull length, powder capacity, shot size, shot shape, shot density, shot capacity, and velocity. And with out getting in to specifics I will tell you they all work. Some at further distances than others, but within a reasonable range they all work the same. For ducks I use steel #4, and find it kills ducks just as well as #2. It has way more to do with where you hit the bird then it does shot size. You want to drop something dead where it stands/flys, shoot it in the head or neck. I've shot birds straight in the chest with tungsten, only to have them fly off and drop 200 yards down the river. A vital hit isn't always a stopping hit. The same is with deer hunting, you don't need a .30 caliber round to kill, just a well placed shot. In Europe, the most popular non belted magnum round is the 6.5 Swedish, and kills plenty of moose every year efficiently. Here in the USA people use the .243 and harvest just as many deer as people using .30 cal offerings.
The same can be said for human targets. All bullets create trauma, but that is not what kills something immediately, although more trauma means a bigger wound, which translates to blood loss, but it could take a day to bleed out. Shoot someone in the head with a 9 they'll be the same amount of dead as with .45.

These threads always make me laugh..
I'm willing to bet most of the people arguing which round is "better" have never killed anything with a fire arm in REAL LIFE! Ballistics gel doesn't mean diddly, live targets have skin/fur, clothing, fat, and bones, that being said, all modern calibers are adequate.
I hunt almost everyday during the season and get to see firsthand what firearms can do. Duck hunting for example has a wide variety of hull length, powder capacity, shot size, shot shape, shot density, shot capacity, and velocity. And with out getting in to specifics I will tell you they all work. Some at further distances than others, but within a reasonable range they all work the same. For ducks I use steel #4, and find it kills ducks just as well as #2. It has way more to do with where you hit the bird then it does shot size. You want to drop something dead where it stands/flys, shoot it in the head or neck. I've shot birds straight in the chest with tungsten, only to have them fly off and drop 200 yards down the river. A vital hit isn't always a stopping hit. The same is with deer hunting, you don't need a .30 caliber round to kill, just a well placed shot. In Europe, the most popular non belted magnum round is the 6.5 Swedish, and kills plenty of moose every year efficiently. Here in the USA people use the .243 and harvest just as many deer as people using .30 cal offerings.
The same can be said for human targets. All bullets create trauma, but that is not what kills something immediately, although more trauma means a bigger wound, which translates to blood loss, but it could take a day to bleed out. Shoot someone in the head with a 9 they'll be the same amount of dead as with .45.

Stop, STOP!!!!! That is far to much logic for a "which caliber is better" thread

I wasn't asking about terminal effects... I was stating that I hear a lot of 9mm or 45, 40 gap is fillled by 9+P+ now. My point was I think in reality the .40 and .45 are more similar than the 9mm and the .40

Mike

I wasn't asking about terminal effects... I was stating that I hear a lot of 9mm or 45, 40 gap is fillled by 9+P+ now. My point was I think in reality the .40 and .45 are more similar than the 9mm and the .40

Mike

But, you are. With some exceptions most handgun rounds are equally ineffective in causing the physical trauma necessary to incapacitate an assailant. By far, most victims shot by handguns survive the injury.

Speaking specifically in regards to the video in the link I posted, the doctor speaks about the equality in trauma between the 9mm and the 45 ACP. Based on the results of his study it can be concluded that these handgun rounds can be considered equally effective, or equally ineffective, depending on how you look at it.

In a handgun, to a certain extent, I choose capacity over caliber.

Maybe as far as terminal effects on the human body... how about various types of barrier penetration?

Mike

http://www.theboxotruth.com/index.html

This website shows various tests using various rounds/guns firing into/through various objects. Some may argue that these aren't exactly the most scientific tests or that they don't provide completely conclusive results, they are certainly far better than relying on the imagination.

I carry all three calibers just not all at once. I never feel less protected with a 9mm, or invincible when I carry a .45. When it comes to shooting in self defense, LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION.

paracarry beat me to it...... I carry all 3. Mostly 2 at a time though. Just depends on my mood at the time I am deciding which 2 to carry. My .40 Shield is really no different shooting than my Taurus Mil Pro .45, and my slim 709 doesn't have that much less "kick".

I like 40 as I can usually find them on the shelves wherever I go. But I also have a seacamp which I feel comfortable carrying. Whatever works for you

Police carried 6 shot revolvers for years and so did a lot of us. It is a defense gun not gang war gun.

The military also had muskets.

Times change, technology allows for more advantages and fewer drawbacks with new firearms as well as everything else.

I'm not saying its wrong to carry a J frame (its on my list), but someone carrying a gun with 12-17+1 is doing nothing wrong either.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom