CAARA Tech in a Day

Bump.

The class is this coming Saturday 10/19.

One day, $20 and a little hard work with a good crowd of people. Need an excuse? How about prepping? When the SHTF, information will be invaluable and without the internet all comms will be over the radio waves.

Whoo hooo! [party]
Welcome to a new hobby. Or at the guys at CAARA say, 99 hobbies in one. I'll give the obligatory advice that you are now in the best position to get your General. Just a few hours a week grinding through the on-line practict tests and you'll have the whole world avalable to you.

Whoo hooo! [party]
Welcome to a new hobby. Or at the guys at CAARA say, 99 hobbies in one. I'll give the obligatory advice that you are now in the best position to get your General. Just a few hours a week grinding through the on-line practict tests and you'll have the whole world avalable to you.

Thanks. I hadn't planned on taking the general today, but they talked me into it even though I hadn't looked at the material. I'm guessing I got maybe four correct [laugh]. The advice makes sense, though - Ill start looking over the material soon.

Congratulations again! Now you've got the whole world at your antenna.

Now is a great time of year to get your general. The trees are bare so rigging wire antennas is easier and we are all spending more time indoors.

Does CAARA have another one of these scheduled?

I was hiking in the Vermont woods with my fiancee, her sister and another friend and after hearing me talking to stations in NY & NM (courtesy of Echolink and a local repeater), my fiancee and her friend want their ham licenses, too. (her sister is took the April class with me).

Any coming up on the schedule?

Sounds about right. They do them twice a year and had one a couple months ago.

Yeah... April 19th. Just in time to conflict with the "All Hands on Deck!" weekend for Appleseed Shoots. I think I will be giving her my study guide and see if she can't pull it off on independent study at home.

Hmm. Every second Friday at 6:00 PM there's a test in Burlington. (VT, that is)

I may go and try for my general
Gloucester is a looong haul just for a test. The class (self study, really) is only on the Tech material, thought I have seen people show up and use the day as a self-directed cram session using the ARRL book.

If I were you I would grind through the practice tests on QRZ.com then find a local club that gives the tests (a "VE test session").

Back
Top Bottom