• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CA teacher fired for rant on military

What? Now we are against free speech and the first amendment? If they said guns are good should they be fired as well?

A teacher in a classroom with a captive and dependent audience has limits. If he had spewed that garbage on his own time it would be protected speech.

A teacher in a classroom with a captive and dependent audience has limits. If he had spewed that garbage on his own time it would be protected speech.

Teachers don’t lose their 1A rights at the schoolhouse door. With that said, you’re right; the Pickering test does provide limitations and restrictions on teacher speech, and I think a good argument can be made that this isn’t protected. But he can make just as good an argument that it is.

I absolutely agree that he’s spewing garbage. And I also try to keep politics out of my own classroom, both left and right: my students deserve balance, which this teacher didn’t provide.

But as a general rule I hate free-speech infringement.

What? Now we are against free speech and the first amendment? If they said guns are good should they be fired as well?
Teachers in MA know that any pro-gun comments will prevent them from getting professional status (newspeak for tenure, but with the time required reduced to 3 years .... unions will no doubt eventually get that changed to 30 days on the job) and, if they have tenure, can still put their job at risk.

A teachers job is to teach, correct? That doesn’t sound like teaching. It wasn’t an objective based opinion for the purpose of generating a critical discussion. It was just a teacher talking crap and belittling an entire group of people. It served no purpose. It didn’t teach anything. And has no place in a learning environment you are suppose to be leading.

Sounds like he was fired for being a crappy disrespectful teacher. That’s not a free speech infringement.

A teachers job is to teach, correct? That doesn’t sound like teaching. It wasn’t an objective based opinion for the purpose of generating a critical discussion. It was just a teacher talking crap and belittling an entire group of people. It served no purpose. It didn’t teach anything. And has no place in a learning environment you are suppose to be leading.

Sounds like he was fired for being a crappy disrespectful teacher. That’s not a free speech infringement.
I hope the kids learned something.

Teachers don’t lose their 1A rights at the schoolhouse door. With that said, you’re right; the Pickering test does provide limitations and restrictions on teacher speech, and I think a good argument can be made that this isn’t protected. But he can make just as good an argument that it is.

I absolutely agree that he’s spewing garbage. And I also try to keep politics out of my own classroom, both left and right: my students deserve balance, which this teacher didn’t provide.

But as a general rule I hate free-speech infringement.

As a general rule, I agree.

A teacher in front of a class is in a position of authority over the class. In a public school that is a position of government authority. What that teacher did was an abuse of his position of government authority that fails the Garcetti test. There is also a case to be made that it fails on time, place, and manner.

You can already see where he’s going to try to go: he was merely trying to encourage them to aim for college, and unfortunately he became overzealous and said some unfortunate things, but see, doesn’t that just show how passionate he is about inspiring his students to aim higher?

Yada yada.

In my experience, modern high schoolers tend to be cynical and can usually see through these kinds of teachers. Case in point: they filmed him. The kids knew this was out of bounds, and that’s a good thing.

As a general rule, I agree.

A teacher in front of a class is in a position of authority over the class. In a public school that is a position of government authority. What that teacher did was an abuse of his position of government authority that fails the Garcetti test. There is also a case to be made that it fails on time, place, and manner.
From the US Supreme Court on Garcetti:

The Court also reserved for a future decision the issue of whether its analysis would apply in the same manner to a case involving speech related to scholarship or teaching.

You can already see where he’s going to try to go: he was merely trying to encourage them to aim for college, and unfortunately he became overzealous and said some unfortunate things, but see, doesn’t that just show how passionate he is about inspiring his students to aim higher?

Yada yada.

In my experience, modern high schoolers tend to be cynical and can usually see through these kinds of teachers. Case in point: they filmed him. The kids knew this was out of bounds, and that’s a good thing.

Your experience offers some hope for our future.

Moron. As an educator, he should be smart enough to realize that his every word and action might be being recorded while he is in school. He may be correct in that I am no intellectual or academic, and just an old jarhead, but I am not the dumbass that got out flanked by a teenager with an iphone.

But, but, he apologized.

Salcido apologized at a City Council meeting in February, the paper reported, and attempted to clarify that his comments “had nothing to do with their moral character.”

"I don't think it's all a revelation to anybody that those who aren't stellar students usually find the military a better option. ... That's not a criticism of anybody. Anything I said had nothing to do with their moral character," he said, the paper reported.

During a break, he told reporters that he believes the military is the not the “best option” for his students, but added "that does not mean I'm anti-military, because I'm not."

Yeah. Nice apology. First Rule of Holes, and all that...

Back
Top Bottom