• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CA: Senate approves bill to 'microstamp' pistol cartridges

The measure would require that, starting in 2010, every semiautomatic handgun sold in California would have to automatically ``microstamp'' each bullet cartridge in two locations as it is fired

Does that mean no used gun/old stock/transfers????

Not for nothing, Andy - this will drive the price of guns up, and that's part of the antis' plan - make owning guns too expensive for ordinary folk, and you've cut down the number of gun owners. Again.

Look how well it's worked in NJ and MA. [angry]

And England and Austrailia and likely most of the disarmed nations in the 1st world. Make shooting a PITA and cost prohibative, then use criminal activity ie the Port Arthur, or Dunblane to make the last hold-outs surrender their arms. When there's only a handful left, its fairly easy to crush them with little notice [hmmm]

Most will bend over for CA! HUGE market and they can't afford to walk away from it.

Right now it's a sellers market for ammunition. Depending on the tooling costs ammo manufacturers may just decide to write off non LEO sales (assuming they are exempt). Which of course is the real goal here.

Gary

Right now it's a sellers market for ammunition. Depending on the tooling costs ammo manufacturers may just decide to write off non LEO sales (assuming they are exempt). Which of course is the real goal here.

Gary

There isn't enough money in LE sales alone to support any company, let alone several major manufacturers.

All it will do is create a larger "black market" for ammo and guns than there already is, just like booze in the 1920s and drugs from the early 80s to present.

People will not be deprived of their vices, or their guns, when is the government going to realize this? If millions of containers enter our ports unchecked annually, do they really think they have a chance at stopping an influx of ammo if they create a highly lucrative market for it? Someone somewhere will fill the order....just like booze in the 1920s and drugs now.

And England and Austrailia and likely most of the disarmed nations in the 1st world. Make shooting a PITA and cost prohibative, then use criminal activity ie the Port Arthur, or Dunblane to make the last hold-outs surrender their arms. When there's only a handful left, its fairly easy to crush them with little notice [hmmm]
NOW you're getting it... [thinking]

I don't suspect it, I know it. I'm related to some of them who still say it to this day. [frown]

Sometimes History doesn't repeat herself... sometimes she screams "Why the hell aren't you LISTENING to me!!!" and lets fly with a club. [thinking]

Gary

It's not about the ammo, it is about the pistol. They want the serial number imprinted on the firing pin and cylinder/bolt face.

It's not about the ammo, it is about the pistol. They want the serial number imprinted on the firing pin and cylinder/bolt face.

I know. My second paragraph:"All it will do is create a larger "black market" for ammo and guns than there already is, just like booze in the 1920s and drugs from the early 80s to present."

Like Ross, all of our Families and most of our friends see NO need for anyone to have guns, they hate/are scared of them and would like to ban them all.

As a Jew, I am extremely frustrated that they haven't "got the message" after thousands of years of persecution and slaughter. [thinking] [sad]

Attention East coasters: those of us on Calguns are E mailing and calling the Arnold to try and pressure him to Veto this bill.

It would be a monumental bonus if those of you here that have the inclination would take the time and send your e mails to him opposing this Bill from becoming law.

Im sure we would return the favor when something comes along that you could use a hand with.

Here is the URL of the thread on our board.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=68422

The link to the GOVERNOR'S contact page.
http://gov.ca.gov/interact

Scroll down the list to Gun Control

I dont expect anyone to write as a return address would show that your not from here but a phone call and or fax would be helpful as well.

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
State Capitol Building
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone: 916-445-2841
Fax: 916-445-4633

SAMPLE LETTER said:
Dear Governor,

I am a registered Republican who voted for you in your initial run for office and in last year's re - election campaign. It is my hope to support you in future elections. That support is dependent on your veto of AB 1471 and other anti - gun legislation which now sits at your desk.

I urge you to demonstrate common sense leadership and veto this bill as an unfair burden on the millions of gun owners who live and vote in California. The clearly unproven and easily defeated technology on which this bill is based will neither prevent nor solve crime; passage will have a negative effect on revenue brought into the state via sales and fees and will decrease funds available to the state.

Further, unlike previous legislation regarding magazine safeties and loaded chamber indicators, AB 1471 does not address a safety issue. Microstamping in no way improves the safety characteristics of a single gun.

The action you take on AB 1471 and other anti - gun legislation which now sits on your desk is an opportunity to garner the support of those who have voted for you in the past and will determine our future support. I urge you to veto these bills.

If borrowing a line or two of my wonderful prose generates more mail, feel free. But I don't do any wholesale "cut & paste" as that could diminish the impact of our response.

FYI - the Governor's "In Box" has a "pro" and "con" box - if all you want to do is click on & vote "con" on AB 1471 that takes about 10 seconds & requires a simple "Please vote no on AB 1471".

StatlerAndWaldorf.jpg

That was Different...

Like Ross, all of our Families and most of our friends see NO need for anyone to have guns, they hate/are scared of them and would like to ban them all.

As a Jew, I am extremely frustrated that they haven't "got the message" after thousands of years of persecution and slaughter. [thinking] [sad]
And I'm even talking people who KNOW what happened in the Holocaust - some of them have been to the Yad Vashem - and STILL they don't understand.
banghead.gif

That's a good one dwarven, I'm going to remember that one for future use!
Wish I could claim it; I paraphrased it from a button I have from www.nancybuttons.com.

Let me tell you, I'm not Jewish, but if another group comes after Jews -- I won't wait for them to come after me next. That's why I have an AR and would like to get a few more.

That's it. I'm officially going to start "stockpiling" brass, primers, bullets, and powder. Not the usual few thousand rounds of each caliber, either. I'm talking bunker (outside the house to avoid storage regulations) full. By the way, how in the wide world of sports are they going to stamp a .22LR ?????

And I'm even talking people who KNOW what happened in the Holocaust - some of them have been to the Yad Vashem - and STILL they don't understand.
banghead.gif

Well, you know, maybe if people had just tried a little bit harder to be nice and polite and follow each and every one of the new rules and regulations enacted by the Reichstag enacted (all for their own proteection, of course), then none of that unpleasantness would have been necessary. Maybe they're trying not to provoke the authorities they way their parents and grandparents must have done. After all, the idea that something as powerful as government might not always have your wellbeing paramount is unsettling enough; that it might actually desire your non-existence might be too frightening to accept. A lot of people who see evil up close and personal retreat into denial; a few get seduced by it, and a few others others get angry.

Ken

Well I'm a little confused...
Stamp on firing pin! Ser. cal. etc.
? (2nd one)on case? how? Barrel wall using expantion to put it there? Stamp on breach face using recoil to stamp...?

If you use a brass casing vs Alum...?
Harder casing materials???

Barrel switch is easy!
Filing it ,mentioned!
Reloading is out..can't get the last guys# off..
Just have to trade brass with friends and others.
"Ah det. ...ahhhh we got a problem...there is 6 sets of #s on this case and none on the primer!!!"[smile]
There is Soooooo many things.....

Not for nothing, Andy - this will drive the price of guns up, and that's part of the antis' plan - make owning guns too expensive for ordinary folk, and you've cut down the number of gun owners. Again.

Look how well it's worked in NJ and MA. [angry]

I don't think it always works the way they intend. Every time the anti's pass some new gun control measure - or every time they even threaten to - I go out and buy more guns. And I stock up on ammunition.

Have you ever tried to steer them towards the www.jpfo.com or the www.keepandbeararms.com websites?

There are a bunch of good stories in there of people who suffered because they were unable to defend themselves - as well as stories from people who came around from being anti to understanding the reasons why RKBA is important.

I have, Calsdad... and at least one of them has told me flat out to stop sending her emails. [thinking] Have you ever noticed that many liberals have suffered from Hardening of the Attitudes? And have no desire to even consider that they might be WRONG???

I have, Calsdad... and at least one of them has told me flat out to stop sending her emails. [thinking] Have you ever noticed that many liberals have suffered from Hardening of the Attitudes? And have no desire to even consider that they might be WRONG???

+1 to that. I have MANY friends who will drop a tired political talking point in a conversation with me, but as soon as I respond with a logical, and factually based retort they "Don't want to talk about politics"

Some of them are starting to come around and relize that maybe if I have all these facts that disprove their BS Dogma, and I bring it all up in a factual and non-confrontational way (I'm not going to be mean to them. Hell I was a liberal once, somebody had to do this to me too!) that maybe I have a point.

Others are prefectly comphortable looking like an Ostrich.[rolleyes]

Can't win them all, but we can win a few, and that, in the end, is worth it.

Arrrrr

I have noticed that - but I always attributed it to just having a closed mind - sort of ironic when you think about how liberals always claim to be so open minded. [rofl]

Just this morning I saw this column by Fred Reed which I think is a pretty good take on the whole thing:

Exterminationists, Right and Left
by Fred Reed

I have decided that intelligence is pernicious, and should be extirpated. It just causes trouble. Practically every damn fool, deleterious thing our sorry race has done can be traced to intelligence. It is a bad idea. When it is not merely a bad idea, it is usually a waste of time.

Consider. William Buckley is very smart. So is Gore Vidal. Yet in their debates they wrangled like excessively elegant cats and could never agree on anything, except that they were both very smart. So what was the use? Two taxi drivers in a Chicago bar could have failed equally well to decide anything. Or they could have come to opposed and equally erroneous conclusions.

Pick your subject – economics, say, or foreign policy, or crime. You will find brilliant men on Left and Right, each arguing intricately to a bellowing claque of witless followers who don’t know anything about it either. You can tell where they will come out by seeing where they went in – on the Left or on the Right.

Generally intelligence has no effect on conclusions, which are glandularly determined. It just rationalizes hormonal inevitabilities.

Further, there’s no point in knowledge, except to show off with in sports bars. If you are in Willie’s Rib Pit to watch boxing and know about the Long Count (in the Cribb-Molineaux fight), then you amount to something. You do no harm, anyway. All other knowledge is suspect. At best, it is a minor vice, like crossword puzzles. At worst, it encourages people to do catastrophic things with a smug sense of fundamental rightness. The people who got America into Iraq were no end bright and could say impressive things like “Twenty-Seventh Caliphate” and “Theravada Sufism.” Much good it did them. Or us.

Brains just allow you to be more elaborately and ornately disastrously wrong.

However, smart people are at least interesting, like rare tumors, so early on I started having a lot of smart friends. I noticed that most of them were crazy. The right-wingers were hostile paranoids with the empathy of a torque wrench who wanted to nuke somebody. I don’t think they really cared who. The left-wingers were angry totalitarians-in-waiting with minds closed tighter than Fort Knox. For this they needed IQs of 160? You could do as well with derelicts in the Port Authority Bus Station at three a.m.

See, what happens is, as kids the bright don’t fit in. They don’t have much in common with anybody. They dress funny and get made fun of. They can’t dance. They don’t get laid much, or at all. This warps their heads. They retreat into isolation with others like them, become contemptuous of everyone else to get even, and deal in abstractions because it’s all they know. (I claim that if Marx had been able to jitterbug, the Soviet Union would never have existed.)

In short, a large IQ is an infallible predictor of emotional inadequacy.

Where intelligence unfortunately does work reasonably well is in the sciences. Really smart men have ideas; lesser men, usually engineers, make them explode; the least men get the triggers. This suggests that we ought to put a bounty on engineers.

Anyway, at first I figured my friends were nut jobs because I just had strange tastes in friends. Maybe I attracted the demented. Then I found myself on a list-serve of people, mostly men (who are crazier by far then women), who were interested in race, intelligence, and the differences between various human groups.

Many were professors at places like Stanford and MIT – scientists and anthropologists not of the first rank, nor of the second – too rigid, I thought, for originality – but nonetheless highly intelligent. Sometimes one would demurely let slip that “I got 1600 on my SATs before they dumbed them down,” ( People attach their self-respect to what they have. In high school I knew a country boy who prided himself on being able to pee farther than anyone else.)

Here I figured was a window into academe, full of towering minds like Plato. These were not squirrels I bumped into in the back alleys of life. They were the real article. I eagerly awaited clarity, dispassion, and the self-abnegation of earnest bloodhounds in disinterested pursuit of Truth. Ha.

No. They too started with their premises, which they didn’t seem to realize were premises, and reasoned doggedly to…their premises. In this they reminded me of Pooh and Piglet tracking the Heffalump around the bush.

An example: One of them used Google to search for rescue operations in the US, Mexico, and China. He found countless rescue stories for America – trapped miners, children in wells, cats in trees, what have you – and only one or two for China and Mexico. From this he did not conclude that the English press just doesn’t cover Mexico and China well – I searched in Spanish and found lots. No. He decided that Mexicans and Chinese do not regard individual life as important. They just don’t bother to rescue people, see.

I don’t know whether this guy had 1600 boards, but if so, he needs to try for 3200 next time.

Here you have it: large IQ, zero grasp of humanity, all is abstractions. (I have another theory that people become psychologists because they lack the normal grasp of human behavior and spend eight years trying to learn what everybody else already knows. A doctorate in psychology is a sure sing of confusion.)

I have lived in both Mexico and China – well, Taiwan – and can report that the fellow’s notions of Sino-Mexican unconcern are highly cephaloproctological.

The tired business of one group or another not caring about human life resonates among the insular smart. It is perennially appealing to conservatives. “Defense intellectuals,” scintillating types with flat heads from being dropped that you could set a martini on, used to say that China could sacrifice five hundred million people in a nuclear war without caring. Today it’s Moslems. (Left-wing intellectuals, similarly afflicted, say “We must sacrifice the masses in this generation to build communism in the next.” Both like the idea of extermination.)

Does any of this make sense? I picture young Pedro running to tell his daddy that sister Maria just fell into the well. “Let her drown, hijo. We Mexicans don’t do no steenking rescue.” After the earthquake that leveled Mexico City in ‘85, passersby on the sidewalks doubtless ignored the scream of the trapped, hands flapping piteously from beneath the rubble, because Mexicans don’t do rescue. And at the firehouses, firemen insouciantly drinking tequila and Squirt and playing cards, because Mexicans don’t do rescue.

We ought to put something in the water to keep IQs down. There would be so much less noise.

September 11, 2007

Fred Reed is author of Nekkid in Austin: Drop Your Inner Child Down a Well and the just-published A Brass Pole in Bangkok: A Thing I Aspire to Be. Visit his blog.

Copyright © 2007 Fred Reed

The bill covers only new models or brands of semiautomatic handguns approved for sale in the state after Jan. 1, 2010. That excludes nearly 1,300 different semiautomatics already sold in the state. Revolvers, which do not discharge shell casings, also are not covered.
They must have rich killers in CA if they expect this to do anything other than drive the price of new guns up. If only the new designs have this, this is REALLY a neutered law that will do nothing but that.

Back
Top Bottom