• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CA: Senate approves bill to 'microstamp' pistol cartridges

Admin

Staff Member
Administrator
NES Member
http://cbs2.com/californiawire/CA-XGR--GunID/resources_news_html

Thursday, September 06, 2007
By DON THOMPSON
Associated Press Writer
SACRAMENTO (AP) California would be the first state to require that every semiautomatic handgun cartridge be stamped with an identifying mark if the governor signs a bill that has now cleared both chambers of the Legislature.

The Senate approved the bill Thursday, sending it back to the Assembly for a final vote on amendments. Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has not said whether he will sign the bill once it reaches his desk.

The measure would require that, starting in 2010, every semiautomatic handgun sold in California would have to automatically ``microstamp'' each bullet cartridge in two locations as it is fired. The microscopic stamping would identify the gun's make, model and serial number.

The bill would not affect revolvers, rifles or shotguns, but supporters say semiautomatics are the weapon used in a majority of homicides committed with firearms. Unlike revolvers, semiautomatics eject a cartridge each time they are fired, scattering evidence at a crime scene.

``This is something that would be helpful in identifying the gun that was used in the commission of a crime,'' said Sen. Jack Scott, D-Altadena, during Thursday's debate. ``It's just giving law enforcement one more tool.''

The measure cleared the Senate 21-17, with no votes to spare.

Opponents said the technology and the bill itself are dangerously flawed.

Criminals could collect cartridges from firing ranges and strew them at crime scenes, implicating innocent citizens, said Sen. Dennis Hollingsworth, R-Temecula. The firing pin that stamps the cartridge will either have to be so soft that it could be easily erased, or so brittle that it could break, he said.

Sen. Dave Cogdill, R-Modesto, argued that the bill will add ``more cost and unnecessary harassment, quite frankly, of law-abiding citizens.''

Similar legislation was introduced in Massachusetts and Rhode Island this year, according to the bill's author, Assemblyman Mike Feuer, D-Los Angeles. A federal bill, modeled on California's, is being considered by Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., and Rep. Xavier Becerra, D-Los Angeles.

On the Net:
Read AB1471 at www.assembly.ca.gov

Rut-O...

Oh man....

IS ANYBODY WATCHING THIS?? I FEEL LIKE I AM TAKING CRAZY PILLS!!!

Even Derek Zoolander can't save us from this madness.

I wonder if CA will see an increase in sales of Dremels, jewelers files and spare firing pins? [wink]

If only more companies had the kind of big brass ones that Barrett does... tell CA to stick it and to not even sell their products to Kalifornia law organizations if the people can't buy them, too.

I actually think they should go further.. they should put GPS systems in every bullet in CA and they can track the location of all bullets at any given time. They could build a huge computer system to track all this.

What a bunch of dumb asses!

The fact that it even passed there shows the level of communism
apparent in the CA legislature.

And yes, unfortunately CA is a HUGE portion of the US gun
market, believe it or not, so the manufs will end up bending over
and complying, or at least trying to comply.

The only upside to this is when it stops/solves zero crimes in 10+
years we'll get to laugh at CA the same way everyone is laughing at
MD's ballistic fingerprinting shit.

-Mike

A huge LE market who I assume are exempt from the law.

Well, that makes it easy then. Find some brass at a crime scene without the stamp, and the suspect pool is automatically narrowed to LEO only.

We know that criminals cannot remove the engravings because, well, that would be illegal!

Apparently, a prerequisite for writing a bill is knowing little to nothing about the subject.

-Gary

Anyone know Ahnold's thoughts on this? Is he likely to veto?

I believe he vetoed some sort of similar legislation previous to this.

Schwarzeneggers not a RKBA enthusiast, but he's also not up to the
same level as Feinswine or Fat Teddy.

With him... it'll come down to dollars and cents more than anything.

The next bill introduced will make possession of a brass catcher illegal!!! [rofl][rofl][rofl]

Watch and see if the weapons of choice turn from semi autos to revolvers and shotguns.

The measure would require that, starting in 2010, every semiautomatic handgun sold in California would have to automatically ``microstamp'' each bullet cartridge in two locations as it is fired. The microscopic stamping would identify the gun's make, model and serial number.

Is that even technically possible? I mean to positively identify a pistols' specific ser. # by a mark put in two locations on every round it fires???

Why not just have a digital camera mounted on every firearm that takes a serialized photo of the shooter and emails it back to CENTRAL COMMAND?????

Why not just have a digital camera mounted on every firearm that takes a serialized photo of the shooter and emails it back to CENTRAL COMMAND?????

I'm sure they're working on it as we speak. The cameras and sound detectors are already in place in many hoods in LA and other places.

Is that even technically possible? I mean to positively identify a pistols' specific ser. # by a mark put in two locations on every round it fires???

It is possible. The microstamps can fit make and ser. # on the primer and in a bar-code on the case wall. That's not the issue, the issue is how FILTHY easy it is to avoid it.
http://ezinearticles.com/?Gun-Microstamping-and-5-Huge-Problems&id=689613

and these guys don't mention using an out-of-state (or out-of-country) gun, or a gun around BEFORE this law (yah, the gang-bangers will bring in their gun for a micro-stamp retro-fitting [rolleyes])

Or mention how easy it would be to remove or deface the stamping from the pin and chamber (or just buy a new barrel and pin)

Also my HUGE question is that tests have shown that these stamps start to fade after only a few HUNDRED rounds. I've put over 2000 rounds through my 1911, and I bought it used. How would the govenment handle this? Mandatory inspection of all used firearms? Manditory anual inspections?

And would you be guilty of defacing your gun's ser. # just from shooting it?

Also, another thought, in the paper I read about "neighborhood guns" in Boston (one gun that multiple thugs share). So thug A shoots Thug B with a gun. Police collect the casings and by some miracle of luck the ser. # is visable on a few of the cases. Later Thug C "borrows" the gun to hold up a 7-11 and is aprihended. He gets charged with the murder, but is innocent, and walks.

A HUGE shake-up in the gun world for NOTHING.

BOOOO

They will also have to outlaw reloading, since it will hinder their ability to track the cases....OMG a double stamped piece of brass! Must be a criminal's way of covering his tracks! ban it!

They will spend a billion putting little stampers inside pistols, then criminals will un-do that by removing them using a 50 cent file they buy at a yard sale.

A HUGE shake-up in the gun world for NOTHING.
Not for nothing, Andy - this will drive the price of guns up, and that's part of the antis' plan - make owning guns too expensive for ordinary folk, and you've cut down the number of gun owners. Again.

Look how well it's worked in NJ and MA. [angry]

Not for nothing, Andy - this will drive the price of guns up, and that's part of the antis' plan - make owning guns too expensive for ordinary folk, and you've cut down the number of gun owners. Again.

Look how well it's worked in NJ and MA. [angry]

I think that the reduction in MA is from disgusted gun owners moving out of state more than anything else.

Back
Top Bottom