CA microstamping law takes effect immediately

Does this apply equally to the guns issued to cops also ???
This would make it much easier to figure out who fired what after a mass shootout like he one in Watertown last month.
250 rounds were fired, but the criminals only had one handgun between them, so over 90% of the shells found at the scene came from the cops.
I've also heard of instances where the criminals carried and fired their guns from inside a paper bag, where the bag was used to catch the brass. Would that make possession of a paper bag illegal while you're carrying a gun ???

Can't they just install more cameras and fly more drones? Traditional police work is so 20th century.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry to hear about your penis, bro. An image of mine wouldn't fit on a primer. Not even a magnum.

[smile]

I see what you did there.

Any how i like one of the comments left,

"i wonder if the police are exempt from this law? If so, this should tell you how screwed you are"

If you want micro stamping to do some good, it should be applyed to the police carry pistols, so police shot rounds could be easily identified, anything else dose not mater

knowing what gun the bad guy shot is just as helpfull as knowing what knife was used to stab someone, it still dose not identify who the bad guy is

Interesting, I picked this up from the calguns post:

a semiautomatic pistol must be equipped with microstamping technology-i.e., a microscopic array of characters that identify the make, model, and serial number of the pistol, etched or otherwise imprinted in two or more places on the interior surface or internal working parts of the pistol, and that are transferred by imprinting on each cartridge case when the firearm is fired.

To me, this sounds like the stamping would not be on the primer, but on the cartridge case itself in at least two locations... that doesn't sound like a firing pin imprint.

I imagine brass catchers will become the new hotness if this takes off.

Two locations on the pistol, one location on the brass.

Does this apply equally to the guns issued to cops also ???

I'm guessing it will, if not now, eventually. CA are not known for supporting their LEO's. It's the criminals that report victimization by LE that CA cares most about. Not that LEO's shouldn't be held to a higher standard (they should) but I don't see CA letting anyone skate around this one (except every criminal that refuses to abide by the law - but besides that).

Here is an easy way to bypass this: buy a new complete slide for the gun. It is completely unregulated as the ATF considers the lower frame to be the "gun."

So even if microstamping were done all a criminal has to do is use a different slide for the crime being committed and replace that slide while he is not actively committing crimes. If they find him, and he has the other slide that has not been used in a crime on the gun, they can't tie him to the crime and he goes free. Actually, I think this makes it easier for a criminal to get away with a crime. If he is a PP, the most they could get him on is being a PP in possession of a firearm which as we all know means he will walk.

Slide loophole!

Can someone explain to me why a criminal who stole his gun and is now out doing a drive by would give the slightest shit what's stamped where. Can anyone help me out with this small concern of mine?

Can someone explain to me why a criminal who stole his gun and is now out doing a drive by would give the slightest shit what's stamped where. Can anyone help me out with this small concern of mine?
The idea is to tie the murder to the bullets, the bullets to the casings, the casing to the gun and then the gun to whomever held it last.

The trouble is that criminals will adapt. If they don't deface or replace the pin, they will learn to drop the guns knowing that the police will now be wasting their time with the last known owner...

Between misread or intentionally misleading stamps and stolen guns, we can be assured that this will cost law abiding gun owners far more than it will deter or catch criminals.

Databases are not "harmless" even when they aren't overtly used for confiscation, they reverse the burden of proof and because your name pops up in a computer, you now have to prove your innocence...

The primer is the only part that is struck...

I seeeeeem to recall reading about this a looooong time ago, that it's on the casing not the primer.

Anyway special materials that won't hold an imprint. :D

ETA I wonder if anyone has a link to the patented technology... Like one from the PTO or something.

California officials just issued a preview of what each microstamp is going to look like under a microscope:
SenFeinstein.jpg
AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Even as someone who has absolutely no intention of shooting a human being this side of a war zone, I would immediately file off the microstamping parts of my firearm... instantly and without hesitation. The mere thought that all some gangbanger has to do is sprinkle expended brass from a range around a body to frame you for murder is about as "Chilling" a thing as I can imagine. Not that anything will happen; but, this law needs to be thrown out now.

That right there is where it gets real scary. Criminals are now being given a way to frame innocent people to deflect attention from themselves.

FAIL

Shit winds are a-comin'...

Last edited by a moderator:
Even as someone who has absolutely no intention of shooting a human being this side of a war zone, I would immediately file off the microstamping parts of my firearm... instantly and without hesitation. The mere thought that all some gangbanger has to do is sprinkle expended brass from a range around a body to frame you for murder is about as "Chilling" a thing as I can imagine. Not that anything will happen; but, this law needs to be thrown out now.

Not only do I agree with this 100%, but to take this idiocy a step further, how the hell are they planning to ensure that people don't file them off? Are they going to do random checks on all gun owners to ensure they are properly "stamping" cases? Are they also going to do random checks on gangbangers too to be sure their gats are compliant?[laugh]

Not only do I agree with this 100%, but to take this idiocy a step further, how the hell are they planning to ensure that people don't file them off? Are they going to do random checks on all gun owners to ensure they are properly "stamping" cases? Are they also going to do random checks on gangbangers too to be sure their gats are compliant?[laugh]

Lets just hope there's a lawsuit that'll overturn this before guns start dropping off the CA approved firearms list.

Use revolver, drop stolen shell casings at scene, run away.

Now cops go after a false lead right away.

Yup

And what will they do if there is no casing or they used a knife? Just give up?

This hole micro stamping thing sounds like someone in the departments dident like to do leg work,

In other news a toilet at local police station was stolen, the police have nothing to go on

The idea is to tie the murder to the bullets, the bullets to the casings, the casing to the gun and then the gun to whomever held it last.

The trouble is that criminals will adapt. If they don't deface or replace the pin, they will learn to drop the guns knowing that the police will now be wasting their time with the last known owner...

Between misread or intentionally misleading stamps and stolen guns, we can be assured that this will cost law abiding gun owners far more than it will deter or catch criminals.

Databases are not "harmless" even when they aren't overtly used for confiscation, they reverse the burden of proof and because your name pops up in a computer, you now have to prove your innocence...

Ya the biggest problem is the tying the gun to the shooter, microstamping still dose not solve this since the bad guy has a stolen the gun, his name is not tied to that gun, the last owner is,

the microstamping is supposed to make it quick to identify the gun, but thats not going to help cach a bad guy,

my guess the microstamping people think for some reason the bad guy is going to still have the gun on him or if they actualy find the gun it will be full of fresh fingerprints and DNA, so they know right away this is the gun and whoever touched it last must be the killer,

But this is no TV show, its not that easy, and you have to put the bad guy at the scene of the crime, put the bad guy behind the gun, a micro stamp cant do that, just because someone had posesion of sed gun at one time dose not put the guy at the crime scene.

Calif. law takes effect on microstamping guns - Bee Capitol & California - The Sacramento Bee

Looks like the moonbats on the West coast have managed to pull off a de-facto ban on new semiautomatic handguns sold in CA. Effective immediately, all semiautomatic handguns are to microstamp a serial number on bullet casings.

WTF!?!

[Edit] Read through the article a few times and I think it grandfathers in firearms on CA's version of the Approved Firearms List, but new SA handguns added to the list must be in compliance. Not as bad as I originally thought, as it doesn't ban new handgun sales which are already on the list, but don't expect any new guns to be added in the future as long as this law is on the books.

[shocked] Microstamp? KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE! 0.o

Next it'll be digital camera facing out the back of the gun that needs to have a picture of the person shooting it before firing it then emails that to the DA so they have pictures of every murder instantly lol

Presumably, the primer would be stamped. So, knock out the primer after shooting and take that with you.

Couldnt it also imprint the brass by having the stamp inside the breech of the barrel? When the casing expands from being fired it would be imprinted. Maybe this would also scrape off when ejected, just thinking out loud here.

Edit: you also notice it says every gun modified, not just new, needs to have the stamping. Whats a modification? New sights or trigger spring? Will gunsmiths be required by law to add a stamping method to any gun they work on?

Last edited:
It's just more feel good lib bullshit because it won't help to tie anyone to a particular gun any more than a standard ballistics match does, which is already, and has been in use for decades now. How is this going to be any more reliable than that?[rolleyes]

I'm guessing it will, if not now, eventually. CA are not known for supporting their LEO's. It's the criminals that report victimization by LE that CA cares most about. Not that LEO's shouldn't be held to a higher standard (they should) but I don't see CA letting anyone skate around this one (except every criminal that refuses to abide by the law - but besides that).

Bad guys go to a range after LEO qualification or practice sessions and pick up brass. Bad guys spread LEO's stamped brass at crime scene. Hilarity ensued and the law get repealed pronto.

If I were in CA, I'd be sure to get pre-ban firing pins and now allow a single stamped brass out of my guns.

This has nothing to do with crime or catching criminals except for how this bill was sold to the people in California. It has to do with firearms availability. The CA firearms list did not go far enough to make new firearms unavailable so now this law just made all new semi autos unavailable. The gun manufactures in the US will not build CA Micro Stamping compliant guns and the new gun supply will start to disappear in CA. This and the ammo tax and the non-traditional ammo law CA is trying to pass will be the way to complete gun control in CA. NY has been trying to get a Micro Stamping bill through and this might just be the push they need to get one passed. Will Mass. and CT follow? I am not sure, however once this gets a footing it is very probable.

Back
Top Bottom