• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CA microstamping law takes effect immediately

mav

NES Member
Calif. law takes effect on microstamping guns - Bee Capitol & California - The Sacramento Bee

Looks like the moonbats on the West coast have managed to pull off a de-facto ban on new semiautomatic handguns sold in CA. Effective immediately, all semiautomatic handguns are to microstamp a serial number on bullet casings.

WTF!?!

[Edit] Read through the article a few times and I think it grandfathers in firearms on CA's version of the Approved Firearms List, but new SA handguns added to the list must be in compliance. Not as bad as I originally thought, as it doesn't ban new handgun sales which are already on the list, but don't expect any new guns to be added in the future as long as this law is on the books.

Last edited:
Yeah, because a serial number on a shell casing is de-facto proof of who fired the weapon. Because we all know firearms can't be stolen, that'd be silly. I also didn't know that EVERY brand-new handgun used in a crime in CA was purchased IN-STATE so this'd definitely help everything...

Are guns grandfathered if that particular model was on the roster before the law, or if the individual gun was possessed already?

The law doesn't impact the more than 1,200 guns already on the state's official firearm roster. Only new or modified semi-automatic handguns sold in California must be equipped with the technology that "microstamps" a bullet casing with a code identifying a gun's make, model and serial number whenever the gun is fired.

New guns are not often added to the roster and one is not expected this year, said Lynda Gledhill, a spokeswoman for the Attorney General's Office.

Read more here: Calif. law takes effect on microstamping guns - Bee Capitol & California - The Sacramento Bee

Oh goodie, another reason I can't wait for an earthquake to make CA fall of the rest of the U.S. Seriously, who thinks these things up?

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Even as someone who has absolutely no intention of shooting a human being this side of a war zone, I would immediately file off the microstamping parts of my firearm... instantly and without hesitation. The mere thought that all some gangbanger has to do is sprinkle expended brass from a range around a body to frame you for murder is about as "Chilling" a thing as I can imagine. Not that anything will happen; but, this law needs to be thrown out now.

Great point, but I think they have that covered with the new tax per bullet, no on will be able to afford to go to the range. Seriously though, I be that never even crossed their mind.

Does anyone know if this law effects people who fabricate their own firearms? with the federal laws restricting the classification to the frame/receiver would one be able to sell the stripped lowers and have the individual complete construction of the firearm from available parts?

The other thing about this law, is that criminals can use a shell catcher to make sure that no casings are left at the crime scene....thus negating the effectiveness of the law as written.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom