• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CA microstamping law takes effect immediately

Bad guys go to a range after LEO qualification or practice sessions and pick up brass. Bad guys spread LEO's stamped brass at crime scene. Hilarity ensued and the law gets updated to exempt LEO pronto.

If I were in CA, I'd be sure to get pre-ban firing pins and now allow a single stamped brass out of my guns.

FIFY [sad2]

This has nothing to do with crime or catching criminals except for how this bill was sold to the people in California. It has to do with firearms availability. The CA firearms list did not go far enough to make new firearms unavailable so now this law just made all new semi autos unavailable. The gun manufactures in the US will not build CA Micro Stamping compliant guns and the new gun supply will start to disappear in CA. This and the ammo tax and the non-traditional ammo law CA is trying to pass will be the way to complete gun control in CA. NY has been trying to get a Micro Stamping bill through and this might just be the push they need to get one passed. Will Mass. and CT follow? I am not sure, however once this gets a footing it is very probable.

Good points John. I believe that we will be soon to follow if this isn't defeated.

- - - Updated - - -

Bad guys go to a range after LEO qualification or practice sessions and pick up brass. Bad guys spread LEO's stamped brass at crime scene. Hilarity ensued and the law get repealed pronto.

If I were in CA, I'd be sure to get pre-ban firing pins and now allow a single stamped brass out of my guns.

FIFY [sad2]

Todd, no need to fix that, as I'm sure, like always there WILL be a LEO exemption built in since some of us are more equal than others...

Todd, no need to fix that, as I'm sure, like always there WILL be a LEO exemption built in since some of us are more equal than others...

Then any non-stamped brass at a murder scene would have to be fired out of a LEO gun!!! Defensive lawyers are going to have fun with reasonable doubt in courts all over CA. Tis gonna be fun.

Then any non-stamped brass at a murder scene would have to be fired out of a LEO gun!!! Defensive lawyers are going to have fun with reasonable doubt in courts all over CA. Tis gonna be fun.

[laugh2]yep, no matter how you look at it, it will be a train wreck![laugh] I agree with John (Remsport) though, this is not something that these people are too stupid to realize themselves, they don't care about these silly details we are discussing because none of that even matters when there ultimate goal is to stop sales of new firearms. Incremental gun control through attrition is the ultimate angle here, and with the ammo tax,, they will eventually reach their goal for the most part within a generation.

There's even a patent on barcoding/encoding a bullet:

"...etching said encoded data into said bore of said firearm, transferring said encoded data from said bore to a surface of a bullet upon firing said bullet from said firearm,..."

US 6,462,302

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=www.google.com/patents/US6462302.pdf
Yeah, I have seen that. What I haven't seen is the ability to make it actually feasible in a mass production setting.

Sorry, but "use a fricken laser" doesn't answer all questions despite what the patent holders claim. Just because a patent is issued does not reflect AT ALL on its feasibility. There are literally perpetual motion machines patented.

Yeah, I have seen that. What I haven't seen is the ability to make it actually feasible in a mass production setting.

Sorry, but "use a fricken laser" doesn't answer all questions despite what the patent holders claim. Just because a patent is issued does not reflect AT ALL on its feasibility. There are literally perpetual motion machines patented.

Agreed on patented ideas vs. hurdles of real world production.
At the end of the day, this new law does one thing...restrict new "non-compliant" firearms from being sold via a dealer.

the more I think about this the stupider it gets. how will the stamping effect reloaders? If they collect brass from a range, will the casing have multiple stamps from multiple firings?

Damn you california.... you're a beautiful state with insane laws.

Firing pins strike primers, not the casings.

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/infobuls/2013-BOF-03.pdf
a microscopic array of characters that identify the make, model, and serial number of the pistol, etched or otherwise imprinted in two or more places on the interior surface or internal working parts of the pistol, and that are transferred by imprinting on each cartridge case when the firearm is fired.

Seeing that firing pins go back and forth, and the rim usually has a stamp on it, where would this new stamp go? A secondary firing pin with the sole purpose of tagging the rim? And reloaded cases would start to have multiple hits, stamps, ejector pin scores, etc....retards making rules, nothing less. [rolleyes]

AMULongRangeBrassDSCN6661.jpg

Not that I agree with what is happening here (as evident by my earlier post)... but couldn't the extractor and or breach face micro stamp; they seem to have plenty of force to them especially when leveled against such a small surface area... or am I missing something?

I was thinking along the same lines, but lets not help them solve their problems with ideas that actually could work...[wink]

I was just thinking... maybe I should redact that... and send in a patent! Yeah, sell'in our rights away for a boat load of money.

I'm sure I've been beaten to it.
It would still be unreliable...

Here's a strip of jerky to gnaw on when a micro-serial number is "difficult" to read because of imperfections on the brass, wear on the imprint, poor/uneven "strike":

What do you think happens when they get:
"G17x941" where "x" is the character they cannot read...

Or they read "G" as "6"???

It's a good guess they aren't going to throw their hands in the air and say, "welp, we aren't 100% certain, so let's not bother doing anything with that..." Rather they will go "talk to" the owners of 10 guns... The burden of proof has now shifted to you despite ZERO involvement with the crime.

That's assuming that the case was there as a result of being fired rather than "seeded" by the perp.

Then there is the issue that the case will not trace back to the perp, but the last registered owner.

As others have said, the purpose of this is to stop sales of new guns, PERIOD. Everything else they say is a flat out lie. Like so many aspects of the gun debate these days.

Last edited:
I just thought of another way this could fail out side of the other million ways, like no mater how they stamp it, the part will ware out and not stamp correctly, and any part they use to stamp it could be easly altered to not stamp at all, or bad guys will just collect rounds and seed crime scenes or just use revolvers

So my next thought here is what if you temporarily altered the gun to not stamp correctly or not at all, like change of the firing pin or put a buffer between the stamp and the round so it cant print a number,

Then after put it all back to normal and if the police come knocking your gun looks and operates perfectly and dose not match the casings at the crime scene,

Guys, obviously they are just going to register every piece of brass and then not allow any ammunition to come from outside CA. Simple.

Can you imagine the epic cluster F*** if someone tossed a bunch of mixed range brass around a crime scene?
Next thing you know 8 people get a late night "visit" from the boys with a no knock.
Ya that will end well.
We all know that CA's finest have a long history of calm restraint. [rolleyes]

I hate California.

For the most part, I agree, but I love the food out there. Better selection.

The problem is that most Californians are very willing to trade liberty for safety. I lived through the LA riots. You should have seen the willingness to stay inside and let the police take care of the issue. The Koreans were the only ones willing to stand up for themselves and defend what was theirs. Pretty damn sad state of affairs.

That is the point of this full, nuclear retard law. I am sure all of the criminals will be bringing their guns in to get them upgraded... California is where the progressives want to take the whole country, it is frightening on so many levels.

I suspect no existing manufacturers will modify the SAs to provide this feature.

And you guys thought pre-ban Glocks in MA cost an arm and a leg. Now pre-micro stamped SAs will cost a fortune in CA.

Can't argue the hot chicks there, but overall I find that state to have its head furthest up its own ass.

That last article linked is a month old. I believe it has still only been passed by the senate, it has not been signed in to law yet.

Back
Top Bottom