• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

C&R question

I've been thinking a lot about applying for my C&R license and have a question. I live on the North Shore, near, but not in Gloucester. I started filling out the application and saw the bit where it says something along the lines of "if this doesn't violate local laws". The local police are not the friendliest in the world. How would you recommend determining if it would be ok? I'm pretty tempted to just apply and let them worry about it later. Any ideas?

I've been thinking a lot about applying for my C&R license and have a question. I live on the North Shore, near, but not in Gloucester. I started filling out the application and saw the bit where it says something along the lines of "if this doesn't violate local laws". The local police are not the friendliest in the world. How would you recommend determining if it would be ok? I'm pretty tempted to just apply and let them worry about it later. Any ideas?

Have you talked to any of them? I know a handful of Gloucester PD, and I think they are pretty good guys. Of course I worked with most of them when I was CG.

As said above, they do not have any approval on this. They just need to be notified with a copy of the application. I usually just drop mine off with the dispatcher and ask her to give it to the chief.

I'm not actually in Gloucester.

I'm not really sweating whether or not the COP has any say in the matter, I know they don't. I'm just trying to make sure I don't run afoul of some mysterious local laws by doing this. I've filled everything out and printed it. Ill drop it off today and see what they say, if anything.

you are obligated to send a copy of your C&R app to the COP, but it's only info for them, they can't do anything about it.

This, plus if you move anytime the license is still valid, you have to notify the PD in the community that you're moving to.

Dropped it off to the desk clerk in a sealed envelope. I seriously doubt ill even hear anything back.

As far as moving....I just have to keep the pressure up on my wife. :)

When I applied for mine, I heard from a PD guy about three weeks later. "Now... you're wanting to open up a gun store in town?" he asked. After I told him what "03" meant, and told him he didn't need to lift a finger about my application, he thanked me and told me to have a nice day.

He'd never heard of a C&R before.

Yeah, that was kind of what I was wondering about. We'll just say that my wife and I live in a town where a gun shop just "wouldn't do". I can see someone down at the PD getting nervous that I'm going to try to open a gun shop. :)

When is someone going to finally open a gun shop in Gloucester, though? That would be absolutely awesome.

Yeah, that was kind of what I was wondering about. We'll just say that my wife and I live in a town where a gun shop just "wouldn't do". I can see someone down at the PD getting nervous that I'm going to try to open a gun shop. :)

When is someone going to finally open a gun shop in Gloucester, though? That would be absolutely awesome.

So, that's what, Manchester by the sea? Wait, Magnolia?

Gah, both of those are pretty pretentious....

Somewhere in that area. I'm not from here and hope to escape within the next year or so.

Magnolia is def Gloucester PD, or at least it used to be. Manchester has Peter Mains (harbor cop) or at least, it used to, and he's a good one.

Like everyone else said, it doesn't matter, they have no real say.

Am I the only one amused by "what are the local laws" threads without stating what town they're talking about? "I'm near, but not in, Gloucester. I'm circumscribed by Magnolia, but not really. I may be near Manchester, but may not."

Am I the only one amused by "what are the local laws" threads without stating what town they're talking about? "I'm near, but not in, Gloucester. I'm circumscribed by Magnolia, but not really. I may be near Manchester, but may not."

I was hoping that someone would have some idea if there were any absolutely crazy laws on the north shore that I might not have been aware of.

I'm also not an idiot. I don't know anyone on here and don't feel that trumpeting possession of firearms or anything else that makes the sheep in MA scared on the Internet and where you're located is a good idea.

You only have to notify the CoP that you've applied for your FFL03. You don't need permission from your local PD.

This!

BATFE requires NOTIFICATION ONLY. It is an FYI thing. The chief can throw it out, file it, or sit there pissed that the law does NOT allow him to prevent you from getting a license without asking his permission first.

But this is NOT something to worry about.

I was hoping that someone would have some idea if there were any absolutely crazy laws on the north shore that I might not have been aware of.

I'm also not an idiot. I don't know anyone on here and don't feel that trumpeting possession of firearms or anything else that makes the sheep in MA scared on the Internet and where you're located is a good idea.

I understand those that are nervous about posting what town they live in, but as others said, without that info it is impossible for anyone to tell you if there are "crazy laws" in your town. If you think that "North Shore" is enough to go on, hardly as it encompasses a lot of towns, at least in most minds. Right now there is a pissing contest in another thread about what constitutes "South Shore" and there are almost as many answers as number of people participating. I doubt that anyone KNOWS the right answer in your case or theirs.

As an FYI: Local Town Bylaws can oftentimes be found in PDF format on a town's Town Clerk website. From that you can search "crazy laws" for yourself on any topic of concern.

In any case, as of now, there is no law that prohibits anyone from collecting inanimate objects within their homes. They can't prohibit doll collectors, coin collectors, stamp collectors, etc. . . . and thus they also can't prohibit gun collectors either . . . at least not yet.

This!

BATFE requires NOTIFICATION ONLY. It is an FYI thing. The chief can throw it out, file it, or sit there pissed that the law does NOT allow him to prevent you from getting a license without asking his permission first.

I understand those that are nervous about posting what town they live in, but as others said, without that info it is impossible for anyone to tell you if there are "crazy laws" in your town. If you think that "North Shore" is enough to go on, hardly as it encompasses a lot of towns, at least in most minds. Right now there is a pissing contest in another thread about what constitutes "South Shore" and there are almost as many answers as number of people participating. I doubt that anyone KNOWS the right answer in your case or theirs.

As an FYI: Local Town Bylaws can oftentimes be found in PDF format on a town's Town Clerk website. From that you can search "crazy laws" for yourself on any topic of concern.

In any case, as of now, there is no law that prohibits anyone from collecting inanimate objects within their homes. They can't prohibit doll collectors, coin collectors, stamp collectors, etc. . . . and thus they also can't prohibit gun collectors either . . . at least not yet.

That's perfect. I didn't realize that my towns bylaws were available online. I found them and am looking through them. Looks like I'm good to go. Apparently I can't ride a horse in town or keep swine, though. :D thank you for your help.

That's perfect. I didn't realize that my towns bylaws were available online. I found them and am looking through them. Looks like I'm good to go. Apparently I can't ride a horse in town or keep swine, though. :D thank you for your help.

Do you mean that your town bans politicians from living there? [laugh2] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

This!

This. I just mail a copy of my C&R to the chief with a brief note telling him it is for notification only and no action is required on his part. Been doing it that way for years. It doesn't have to be sent registered or certified, ordinary mail is fine. I have no idea if he receives it, or what he does with it if he does get it. Not my concern. I've complied with the law.

[laugh]Now I have to find that thread. I want someone to explain the difference between South Shore and Southcoast. Doesn't a shoreline usually imply a coast around here? Can you be at the coast and not at a shore? How about the other way around? When does South become North?

So many questions!!!! [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom