C&R Question for Mass

rigel

NES Member
Hi All,
Here's my question:
Can I sell a C&R firearm to another Mass resident outside of the 4 personal transfers if we both hold C&R licenses?
Thanks

MA does not look favorably upon the C&R license to sell things

I fear you may have to use one of your transfers

(as far as MA goes, your C&R isn't worth the paper it is printed on)

sure, just do the transfer out of state, then the buyer would need to do the registration when they return to ma, it is an FFL.... Why not?

If both parties have C&R licenses then a FFL should be able to do the transfer now. I think that part of the 2014 MA law change exempting the dealer list for c&r item to c&r holders is now in effect.

Well if they both stepped outside of.... Massachusetts..... just sayin. Of course it depends on whether or not somebody thinks that s128 a/b garbage applies to a Massachusetts resident orbitally even when they're in Antarctica or something... 🤣

If both parties have C&R licenses then a FFL should be able to do the transfer now. I think that part of the 2014 MA law change exempting the dealer list for c&r item to c&r holders is now in effect.
it has been a while but If I recall the change in law only affected off roster pistols transfers from an 01's to an 03's

sure, just do the transfer out of state, then the buyer would need to do the registration when they return to ma, it is an FFL.... Why not?

So logically, this seems like it would be ok??? Is there a reason this wouldn't work?

So logically, this seems like it would be ok??? Is there a reason this wouldn't work?

Only "Pant shitting MA hysterics. "

This is in that same zone where people debate thay you have to file an FA10 for a gun that you never brought back into mass. 🤣 It depends on whether you believe the state has orbital authority over you despite doing something clearly not in their purview/jurisdiction etc.

State law is never going to explicitly say “yeah here’s the rules but by the way none of this applies to you if you’re in the northern half of the Pheasant Lane Mall parking lot”, but that’s exactly how state laws work, they end at the border. Probably a good idea for the buyer to leave the Seller section blank if/when he fills out his FA-10, if you do it out of state.

Using a MA state gun dealer is another option because they can now transfer any C&R gun to a C&R holder.

Last edited:
State law is never going to explicitly say “yeah here’s the rules but by the way none of this applies to you if you’re in the northern half of the Pheasant Lane Mall parking lot”, but that’s exactly how state laws work, they end at the border. Probably a good idea for the buyer to leave the Seller section blank if/when he fills out his FA-10.

Using a MA state gun dealer is another option because they can now transfer any C&R gun to a C&R holder.
Where in the rest of the free world, an 01 transferring from an 03 to an 03 is completely unnecessary

Back
Top Bottom