• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

C&R purchase, recording the sale, and FA-10

Here's my scenario:

I am going to buy a Garand from a buddy of mine. I have a C&R license. He does not. Once the rifle is transferred, I know that I need to record it my Bound Book. Do I still need to file an FA-10 if the rifle is recorded in my BB? I am trying to save him a personal transfer.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks

yes, fill out an FA10. The mass law is separate from the C&R law. All firearms transfers in MA must be recorded via FA10.

yes, fill out an FA10. The mass law is separate from the C&R law. All firearms transfers in MA must be recorded via FA10.

This is correct.

Put another way, a C&R does not invalidate any part of MA law; all MA laws must be followed.

My buddy seemed to think that putting the sale in my BB relieved the need to file an FA-10. He said that in the past when he sold firearms on consignment with a dealer he just did the ATF paperwork and not an FA-10. He was wondering if the same applied to a C&R holder.

Trust me, I am the last person who wants to push the envelope in Mass.

Last edited:
Here's my scenario:

I am going to buy a Garand from a buddy of mine. I have a C&R license. He does not. Once the rifle is transferred, I know that I need to record it my Bound Book. Do I still need to file an FA-10 if the rifle is recorded in my BB? I am trying to save him a personal transfer.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks

Yes, a FA-10 is required.

If you are both MA residents, it is the seller's responsibility to submit a FA-10 within seven days.

If it is an interstate acquisition, you are responsible for submitting a FA-10 within seven days.

Back
Top Bottom