• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

C&R License

Chevy 2 65

NES Member
Finally it came in yesterday!! Been waiting since Nov 14th [banana]

Can NES provide any good C&R websites? Strange, but one I found will not ship to Mass? and yes it is a C&R rifle.

MASSACHUSETTS CUSTOMERS:
No sales of Rifles that accept High Capacity Magazines(10+ rounds). FFL'01 dealers may purchase handguns that are on the MA approved for sale list. Sales of rifles in State of MA to FFL '01 holders only,C&R/FFL '03 holders not eligible.

Last edited:
I believe this falls under the "ships to Mass clause" here and won't last long.

What rifle are you looking for? You might get a PM to send you in the right direction.

Gosh, to do it all over again would be fun. Congrats on getting yours but allow me to revel in the moment of recalling what a C&R could do for you back 15-20 years ago. I'm surprised that I didn't go bankrupt my credit card was so charged up. It must have come close to melting for the availability of C&R firearms back then was simply amazing. Today, what you have available is mostly out of other fellas collections (like mine) as opposed to from one of the zillions of dealers out there who were awash in C&R hardware. Ammo, too. There were just pallet loads of stuff coming in from everywhere you can imagine. Wow, what a great time. The ironic thing about the C&R is that it was designed just for collectors BY the Feds. They wanted to pare out the fellas who were applying for an 01FFL (gun dealer) from those who just wanted to collect for themselves. C&R (03 FFL) holders had to comply with rules but, for gosh sakes, it was really wonderful and the reporting was dimished to just a bound book. We are allowed to order firearms and engage in interstate commerce without having to involve an 01FFL. Really cool. You got to be good friends with your Big Brown Truck driver, too. Nary a week went by when a long box or a short, heavy box was being left at my door.

Good luck with your newly minted form. Make sure you make a handful of copies and save the original in a safe place. Have at least one copy in your wallet at all times. You'll never know when you stumble across a tiny shop someplace or a yard sale where that 03 will come in handy. Have fun!

Rome

Some places will have on thier WEB page no sale to MA,but if you send them a copy of your C&R along with a copy of your LTC they will sell you the gun.That said wink,nudge, say no more.

Where there not recent changes in the MGL's in regards to C&R license holders?
Think it's time to post a link to these changes to send off to vendors and try to get some changes.
It took me some time and many emails detailing MGL's and definitions to get a vendor to change their policy. This was in 2014
Now if we can get the big discount vendors to play along.

Where there not recent changes in the MGL's in regards to C&R license holders?
Think it's time to post a link to these changes to send off to vendors and try to get some changes.
It took me some time and many emails detailing MGL's and definitions to get a vendor to change their policy. This was in 2014
Now if we can get the big discount vendors to play along.

The changes in MGL with regard to C&R licensees have to do with transfers of handguns, and don't go into effect until 2021 if I am remembering correctly :(

20150205_230414147_iOS.jpg

20150205_230254190_iOS.jpg

Came in today. Numbers matching, 1944 M44, forgot to mention it was built at the Izhevsk factory, at least that is what I can tell from the markings.

Last edited:
The changes in MGL with regard to C&R licensees have to do with transfers of handguns, and don't go into effect until 2021 if I am remembering correctly :(

You are correct. Chapter 284 of the acts of 2014, section 59, changed MGL chapter 140 section 131E to add the following paragraph:
" A firearms collector, licensed pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 923(b), may purchase a rifle, shotgun or firearm that was not previously owned or registered in the commonwealth from a dealer licensed under section 122 if that rifle, shotgun or firearm is a curio or relic as defined in 27 CFR 478.11."

As you noted, section 59 (and many other sections of ch 284 of 2014) is effective January 1, 2021. The addition of that paragraph seems to me to be only a clarification of who can purchase a firearm (handgun).

You are correct. Chapter 284 of the acts of 2014, section 59, changed MGL chapter 140 section 131E to add the following paragraph:
" A firearms collector, licensed pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 923(b), may purchase a rifle, shotgun or firearm that was not previously owned or registered in the commonwealth from a dealer licensed under section 122 if that rifle, shotgun or firearm is a curio or relic as defined in 27 CFR 478.11."

As you noted, section 59 (and many other sections of ch 284 of 2014) is effective January 1, 2021. The addition of that paragraph seems to me to be only a clarification of who can purchase a firearm (handgun).

so for us non lawyers, what changes from our current laws? Sounds like gibberish to me

so for us non lawyers, what changes from our current laws? Sounds like gibberish to me

It means that while most 01 dealers will recognize an 03FFL and transfer a C&R handgun that wasn't previously owned in Mass, some will not. They will say that since Mass doesn't recognize 03FFL's you have to do the purchase as if you didn't have a 03FFL and if the gun doesn't have proof of being owned in Mass before 1998 then you cannot buy it as it is non compliant.
This tells them that any C&R gun can be transferred to an 03FFL. Granted this fixes a very small issue but it is a step forward.

Back
Top Bottom