• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

C&R in NH question

Earlier this year I started working at the town hall. Today we had a discussion about C&R licenses and the NH law section 159:8.

The person responsible is under the impression that when someone is issued a C&R that they need to bring that to the town in order for them to issue a DSSP 177 which is a license to sell pistols and revolvers and have it signed off my the C.O.P. or selectmen. I just asked the C.O.P. who was in my office and he thought that was just for FFL's but the C&R is a form of FFL. The person in the office is worried that she gets all these forms from people applying for C&R and they are not coming back to get their DSSP 177 and she doesn't want anyone getting into trouble. The reason she came and asked me is that I am one of those people she has the records for but no DSSP 177 issued.

Can anyone help and site sources on this matter? Heck I can't even find DSSP 177 on the state polices website.

I read in the ATF verbage that the C&R is not issued for selling of guns to make a profit. So a C&R holder can buy what he wants but not open a business to sell these guns. I believe trading and selling between C&R holders is legal. When you apply for the C&R a copy goes to the COP same time ATF is mailed. All the information is on the ATF website. Look at the first paragraph on this website and it answers your question.
http://www.crffl.org/

I don't think that does answer the question. Just like the feds have their smog control measures required on a car several states make laws that control it even further.

The COP is going to get me the number to a contact he has with the state police so I can call them.

A C&R is not a dealer license. An FFL dealer license is typically referred to as simply an FFL but they are both FFLs. The C&R is to allow you to ACQUIRE firearms over state lines directly to you, so I can't see any reason you'd need a permit to sell firearms since that is not the purpose of the C&R FFL.

Tell the clerk not to sweat it. C&R absolutely does *not* allow you to do business, I.E. sell pistols and revolvers. Any firearms dispositions after purchase on a C&R get handled like a normal private sale when you're in a free state.

I would print out the C&R FFL rules from the BATFE info wrt NOT to act as a dealer and hand that over. That should resolve the problem that the OP is trying to deal with.

I did get in touch with the State Police in Concord with the contact our COP gave me. Although it doesn't say it specifically on the 159.8 etc it only applies to someone "in the business" of buying handguns and revolvers to be sold at retail. While the clerk, COP and I didn't think we had to, the wording on the law was really vague so it was good to hear it straight from Concord.

I did get in touch with the State Police in Concord with the contact our COP gave me. Although it doesn't say it specifically on the 159.8 etc it only applies to someone "in the business" of buying handguns and revolvers to be sold at retail. While the clerk, COP and I didn't think we had to, the wording on the law was really vague so it was good to hear it straight from Concord.

The terms of the C&R are that you can not "engage in the business" of selling firearms.

But it's not true that you can't sell, nor even that you can't sell at a profit (when I had my C&R, I didn't sell much, but I always sold at a profit for the purpose of enhancing my collection.)

RSA 159:8 is specifically about a business selling at retail. No worries.

C&R gives you no selling abilities that you didn't already have without it, the only thing it gives you is buying abilities.

Back
Top Bottom