• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

C&R first purchase

mac1911

NES Member
Im looking to buy my first C&R. looking for opinions. aprox 600 to 800 budget
pistol or rifle
pistol with ammo
riffle with ammo

Looking for shooters, not any real collector pieces.
I plan on plinking with these here and there.

decided, ordered cmp service grade and 3 cans ammo today 2/7/09

Will be getting my CZ82 2/26/09.......

Last edited:
been looking at garand.....cmp also. just cant fit much ammo in after buying a garand.

If I where to purchase a garand, would I go CMP and what grade?
Any C&R dealers stocking garands?

CMP Field grade will get you a good shooter and leave enough for a can or two. You'll pay a lot more through a C&R dealer, and posting names of C&R dealers on this forum is prohibited.

Around $80 - $90 would get you a Mosin 91/30. Around $180 more would get you almost a thousand rounds to put through it. (there is a group buy on the ammo right now)

That leaves you $300 - $500 to buy a few more toys.

See http://7.62x54r.com/ for background.

Like a CZ-82 pistol and some 9x18 Makarov ammo for it. A nice shooter. If you want something older, look at the CZ-52.

I saw a really nice looking Colt Systema for sale on Gunbroker for around that amount of money. You'd get yourself a really nice 1911 clone that way.

Either a Yugo, Russian, or Romanian SKS. If you buy a Yugo go for excelent condition to be sure you're getting one with a good gas system. Around $250 to $300.

Russians are going for around $350 to $450 now and Romanians are around $300 for a nice one.

Then get as much 7.62x39 as you can afford and plink away for days.[grin]

thanks guys, more to think about, I have been looking for a C&R 1911, just have not found anything on the low side.

The 7.62x25s and 9x18s have an edge. I can get both and ammo for the price of garand and some ammo????

OK down to a few choices, cmp service grade 595 90day wait, heck im waiting 5 months for a AR. or a mosin nagant for 69.00 to 200.00 and several thousand rounds of ammo?

pistol will have to wait.

It's not even a competition. Garand. And this is from someone with 2 Mosin M44s, an M38, a Type 53, 3 91/30s, a 91/30 PU, a 91/59, a Finn M91, and two M39s, with another one possibly coming soon.

Get the Garand first.

On a semi I would choose Garand 1st

Thing is I think Mosins will always be around though for later

Other options

8mm Mauser ..Maybe a Russian capture German 98k, Czech 98/22...Vz24 or Yugoslav

Another, option, but ammo is little more expensive but still available is a Swiss K31

It's not even a competition. Garand. And this is from someone with 2 Mosin M44s, an M38, a Type 53, 3 91/30s, a 91/30 PU, a 91/59, a Finn M91, and two M39s, with another one possibly coming soon.

Get the Garand first.

+1. I have a similar Mosin collection, and would give them all up before my M1. No firearms purchase experience is better than opening the box from the CMP delivered to your door.

systema .45

A nice shape Sistema for $250-$300? Hell, post a link and I'll scoop it up myself! [smile]

I'm also looking into making my first C&R purchases and have been checking out all kinds of websites to get my order list together. (My C&R just came in the mail yesterday.) I found a site for JLD Enterprises that have the Systema for around the $300 range. I haven't heard anything good or bad about JLD or "Cruffler". Check out the link I copied from the home page.

http://www.cruffler.com/JLD.html#The Fine Print

I'd love to have a 1911 and will, eventually, as the budget (and my hiding spot from the old lady) developes. Do the systema look like good purchase at this price? THANKS

Take a look at this page:

http://www.cruffler.com/JLDSpecials.html

Reading it carefully will point out that it's just a "little outdated"! [rofl]

I bought an Israeli Mauser from them back ~2001 and the guy I worked with was great. Regrettably, he went back to his home country and I am unsure of the status of JLD these days.

$300 was average for Sistemas back in 2000, today they are very difficult to find at any price . . . and I kick myself for not buying one back then.

OK, it looks like PTR 91 bought JLD back ~2006 according to this webpage:

http://www.ptr91.com/about.html

Now reading this webpage says that in Feb 2009, Scorpion Arms bought PTR 91!

http://www.ptr91.com/

Looks like they are strictly a "black rifle" shop now, no more C&Rs, but that's based strictly on what I see on their website.

THANK YOU LenS!!! I'm glad someone has a clue about JLD. I didn't do any research on them - just looking at basic prices to get my "wish list" together. I guess it was to good to be true.

Sorry for the bad news. I recall calling them after the principal guy left and was very disappointed at their "passing" wrt C&R guns. They dealt in high-quality C&Rs.

1st to arrive 2/26/09

Just got it, only wiped down the cosmo of the outside, It has more holster wear that I exspected. I'm not sure how well these where made from the start but it has no more play in it than my 1911. Will clean up tonight swing by GS and hope to fire a few rounds sunday!

Back
Top Bottom