• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

C&R Firearms, Serial numbers and the FA-10

2 Questions. I have my 03FFL so i've been using it lately.

#1, I just picked up a C&R revolver (Nagant M1895) and am about to log it into my bound book and do an FA-10 online. It's an older Centry Arms Import with the mark on the barrel when they were in their St. Alb. Location. The import mark has the usual info, Country of origin, caliber, importer, etc. What it doesn't have is a new serial number like my imported Mosins do. The original russian S/N was used for the sale. It's a 5 digit, numerical S/N like "85XXX" My question is do I use this number in my BB and FA-10? What garantees this SN is not already a duplicate on some other firearm in the country? Or does that not really matter and I'm overthinking things.

#2, Hypothetical at this point. I may considerbuying a non-imported Mosin Nagant. The serial number will contain a Cryllic prefix. Since there is no import mark, there is no new S/N. Also, the russian S/N is on the barrel, not the receiver. What would I do in this particular situation in terms of the FA-10?

Thanks

Many older guns have no SN.

Put what's there. If it were a paper FA-10, I'd add the Cyrillic, just to confuse the OCR software. If you don't have a ruskie computer, put in what you can.

As for duplication of SNs, I'd say, don't sweat it....there's no (AFAIK) national database that compares serial numbres, and activates the BATFE's Predator drones. Remember.....most parts of the country, there's no paperwork for this sort of transaction.

Thats what I figured, but I figured I could wait a day or two before doing the FA-10 and just ask the question.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

What garantees this SN is not already a duplicate on some other firearm in the country?

Think about the literally hundreds of firearms manufacturers in this country, particularly all the military firearms which are serialed just as plain numbers, and the estimated 300 million plus guns in the US. Think there are any duplicates?

German arms are serialed starting with numbers then letter blocks and numbers. Serials are repeated every year. You could have 2 Lugers, for example, that are different years with the same identical serial numbers.

Think about the literally hundreds of firearms manufacturers in this country, particularly all the military firearms which are serialed just as plain numbers, and the estimated 300 million plus guns in the US. Think there are any duplicates?

Exactly what I figured. Thanks.

Now to find some 7.62x38R :)

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom