• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

C.M.P. Article

50 BMG

Mosin Nagant Collector
NES Life Member
For those of you who do not know of the Civilian Marksmanship Program or for those of who do and do not receive the C.M.P. monthly newsletter there is a great article in this months issue about one of the most well know U.S. Marine figures that we see and or hear on various media outlets. I am of course talking about Gunny R. Lee Ermey. I have attached the link to the article at the C.M.P. and suggest you take a few minutes to read it. Its well worth the time:

http://www.odcmp.org/1010/default.asp?page=RLEEERMEY

The Man is an American Icon....i met him at the Reading Air Show in Reading, PA, i got a picture somewhere, Best Hand Shake ever

Typographical error -

“You see these kids when they first come in when they’re eight years old with long hair and ba“We have gotten the kids started off with air rifles to learn marksmanship and I’d like to see all kids trained in marksmanship and firearms safety.”ggy pants and then see them a year later and my God they’re almost unrecognizable and really squared away,” he said

Last edited:
Typographical error -

“You see these kids when they first come in when they’re eight years old with long hair and ba“We have gotten the kids started off with air rifles to learn marksmanship and I’d like to see all kids trained in marksmanship and firearms safety.”ggy pants and then see them a year later and my God they’re almost unrecognizable and really squared away,” he said

more than the typographical error, that kind of judging a book by its cover is annoying.

“The first rifle I was issued when I went in the Marine Corps was the M1Garand. I used it for four years before they issued me the M14. In Vietnam they were issuing M16s and I elected to hang onto an M1 Carbine.

One more reason to like the m1 carbine.

Gunny is the man.

But he's out of his tree with this quote "“It’s a fantastic, phenomenal sport to get involved with and it’s not an expensive sport to get into." Maybe i'm involved with something different, but it isn't cheap on my end [wink].

At 2:12 a.m. no less. Yikes. I still enjoyed the article. Typos and all.

Absolutely, interesting read. That kind of stuff just jumps out at me. [wink]

Gunny is the man.

But he's out of his tree with this quote "“It’s a fantastic, phenomenal sport to get involved with and it’s not an expensive sport to get into." Maybe i'm involved with something different, but it isn't cheap on my end [wink].

Not expensive if you're the Gunny!

“I try to explain to everybody I know that the shooters here are the most giving people in the world. All you have to do is come out here and let somebody know that you’re a new guy they will take you under their wing and will not let you screw up,” he said.

This is very true. The only thing highpower shooters seem to like more that highpower is getting new people into highpower.

Last edited:
Gunny is the man.

I think the key word is get "into". You can start with a 22 and buy 550 rounds for 18 bucks. A few paper targets or tin cans and your good to go. Its only when we get older and want better toys that it gets expensive[laugh].

As to the tree, make sure you are not under that tree when he falls out of it[wink][laugh]

Back
Top Bottom