• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

C.G. Haenel MK556 Wins German Army Tender To Replace G36

Reptile

NES Member
After almost six decades with Heckler & Koch, the German Bundeswehr appears to have selected a new supplier for its assault rifle. TFB has followed the process closely and while the decision had been delayed we knew that a decision from the was due this autumn. We also knew that regardless of the outcome of the German Army’s choice the result would be of great importance for decades to come.

According to several sources (see bottom of page for reference) the German Ministry of Defense has chosen C.G. Haenel GmbH to supply the next German Assault Weapon. The initial report came from the German Press Agency (DPA) and has been widely quoted. At the time of writing neither the Bundeswehr nor Haenel have made official statements.

Haenel is already supplying the Bundeswehr with the Haenel RS9 sniper rifle (designated the G29 in German service), which we reported about on 2016. Despite this they have long been seen as the underdog in the Bundeswehr’s search for a new service rifle.

I’d much rather have the 433. At least it looks like a new design and has a folding stock. Not another updated AR with its stupid buffer tube.
Except the AR with it's stupid buffer tube ends up still being the gold standard despite like 500 attempts to supplant it. It's not that the alternatives are bad, most of them have a dick self punching component to them, though. Either on price or lack of availability. Like if we said "build a fighting carbine for a base cost of $1500 or less that weighs less than 7 lbs and isn't junk". Good luck doing that without it being an AR... maybe AK.

The Robinson XCR was pretty nice, though. Wish there were more guns , like that. I welcome anything new, at least its something to mess with.

I’d much rather have the 433. At least it looks like a new design and has a folding stock. Not another updated AR with its stupid buffer tube.

Depending on reliability tests and parts availability, id probably trade my scar for one.

Except the AR with it's stupid buffer tube ends up still being the gold standard despite like 500 attempts to supplant it. It's not that the alternatives are bad, most of them have a dick self punching component to them, though. Either on price or lack of availability. Like if we said "build a fighting carbine for a base cost of $1500 or less that weighs less than 7 lbs and isn't junk". Good luck doing that without it being an AR... maybe AK.

The Robinson XCR was pretty nice, though. Wish there were more guns , like that. I welcome anything new, at least its something to mess with.
I don’t hate ar’s at all, I have a few including a sbr. I just hate the buffer tube. I also like to see innovation and the ar is like 60yrs old already

I don’t hate ar’s at all, I have a few including a sbr. I just hate the buffer tube. I also like to see innovation and the ar is like 60yrs old already

I’d look at it another way... after 60+ years without much improvement or innovation, it shows the brilliant design and engineering of Eugene Stoner and how far ahead of his time he was. Kind of like kalashnikov’s 70+ year old design still in use today... hard to improve on perfection.

Surplus g36's , im in for at least 1

Should be many more Hk parts kits from surplus G36’s on the market soon. Too bad you can’t find an HK SL8 for less than thousands to convert, even if G36 parts are abundant and cheap (which they likely won’t be, it’s HK).

Everything under the sun. There's only so much innovation left in the gunpowder/projectile platform. Buffer tube. No buffer tube.

Hell, I'm still mystified by the Benelli inertia system. Yes, I know Mr. Newton well, but I can't detach the bolt from the rest of the gun and shooter in my head. LOL

Back
Top Bottom