Buying with valid ltc during renewal

I'm frankly amazed that FRB actually updated MIRCS so it successfully processes transfers for people whose licenses are expired but in process of renewal. Just goes to show that even in this state, positive change can happen and actually come to fruition.

The people at the FRB seem reasonably committed to customer service, as evidenced by things like the renewal hotline; the PIN recovery service; and their presence at the Marlboro gun show to retrieve LTC PINs.

The FRB has some sub-optimal policies, specifically the requirement that non-resident LTCs be renewed in person, and the restricting of a significant percentage of the non-resident LTCs. I get the impression that both of these practices are the result of orders from "higher up". Back when Jason Guida was the head of the FRB, he told me that the in person renewal was decided "above him", and that they were concerned applicants would have their fingerprints changed between renewals (presumably allowing them to commit crimes and build up a criminal record under an a/k/a).

The FRB has been very professional to deal with when Comm2A makes its annual request for a dump of licensing data (with personal info redacted). They also made a good faith effort to implement non-citizen LTCs after we won Fletcher/Haas.

Also, it probably does not hurt that the gun owners have some representation in the courts via Comm2A so the game of "really think you can afford an attorney, punk - give it your best shot" is not as effective as it once was.

Last edited:
While I can't say I look forward to my annual pilgrimage to Chelsea, it's always gone very smoothly, professionally, and pleasantly. One of the people who does interviews for NR LTCs is a darn nice guy, as well as a self-describe "gun guy" himself. Doing these interviews is his job. Don't blame the workers for policy that's made by the bosses.

Can one buy/sell firearms with a ltc that has not yet expired but is in the process of renewal?

NO, I was told by the License Sargent in my town that once you are in the system for renewal you have the right to carry concealed only.
This is Fact because I purchased a gun on Gunbrokers and and went for my review with the Sargent for my renewal and after he entered all my info. into the computer , I was in the system, I still had a valid LTC conceal carry but could not buy ammo buy or do gun transfer either private or through FFL. So I went to my dealer told him the problem he confirmed with the Sargent and he received my gun , put it in his safe until I received my renewed LTC. When you renew you receive a New LTC No. and Pin No. This happen to me last month, Mass. system is all screwed up!

NO, I was told by the License Sargent in my town that once you are in the system for renewal you have the right to carry concealed only.
This is Fact because I purchased a gun on Gunbrokers and and went for my review with the Sargent for my renewal and after he entered all my info. into the computer , I was in the system, I still had a valid LTC conceal carry but could not buy ammo buy or do gun transfer either private or through FFL. So I went to my dealer told him the problem he confirmed with the Sargent and he received my gun , put it in his safe until I received my renewed LTC. When you renew you receive a New LTC No. and Pin No. This happen to me last month, Mass. system is all screwed up!

Your licensing Sgt was incorrect.

I got this email directly from the FRB.
"Good morning
If the police department started your renewal before the expiration date on your license then your license will remain active indefinitely until you receive the new license from the police department. All dealers have been notified of this. Please print out this email and bring it to the dealer and have him/her contact me if they have any questions about the new law. Other than that, the grace period on your license will allow the purchase of a new firearm through the MIRCS Dealer Application
Thank you,
Zorran
Zorran Atanasovski"

He included all his contact info in the original email

Sent from my C6522N using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I am in a similar situation. I applied the day before my license expired in late June, and I received a printout receipt. I am trying to sell a gun via personal transfer soon so i went into MIRCS and tried to input my information as the seller with my expired license but the system is unable to process the request and tells me to contact my local licensing auhtority.
I called the FRB and they told me I should be able to sell and transfer via private sale and that my new license has been approved and pending shipment. They gave me my new LTC card number and new Pin number, however when I input the new numbers it gives me the same message. This message appears when I try to validate either LTC (expired pending renewal or the new LTC number) I may have to transfer via an FFL for the sale, but I would much rather do this via FTF. Maybe the MIRCS system isn't fully updated?

Thanks Len, I figured there would be some quirks in the system. The good thing is that they sent the license out so now I need to hound the local PD until I have it in hand

Michaela responded to Fortitude42's issue. Here are the important points:

- MIRCS was enhanced in March to allow for sales/transfers/registrations to process using an expired LTC/PIN . . . however see the next point.

- This ONLY works if the LICENSING AUTHORITY enters the renewal into the system PRIOR to expiration of your LTC. In other words, if they let it sit in a pile and don't enter into the system for a period of time, AND your LTC actually expires before it is entered, YOU ARE TOAST and have NO GRACE PERIOD for anything!! Unfair? Yes, but that is how it works.

- NEW LTC and PIN are NOT valid until "ACTIVATED" by the PD. People fail to realize that when a PD receives your new LTC from FRB it is NOT active until the LO activates it within MIRCS at the PD! So merely having this info is of no use in processing any sales/purchases/transfers unless the PD has done the final activation first.

Kudos to Michaela for her quick response. Might not help this person but at least you can understand what might well have happened.

Back
Top Bottom