Buying with valid ltc during renewal

I don't see why not. How would the store know it is in process of renewal? Would not all they would know and care is that it is not expired and therefore active?

Expired but in process of renewal is a different thing. Supposedly, you are supposed to be ok to buy even though it expired but if you had the slip to show that you have applied for renewal. But, many here have said that some stores would just care that you are expired and would not do the sale, despite that you have a pending renewal, maybe because they are ignorant of the law, or don't care.

It's valid for 90 days even after it expires as long as you submitted your renewal.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131
MGL Chapter 140 Section 131 said:
A license to carry or possess firearms shall be valid, unless revoked or suspended, for a period of not more than 6 years from the date of issue and shall expire on the anniversary of the licensee’s date of birth occurring not less than 5 years but not more than 6 years from the date of issue, except that if the licensee applied for renewal before the license expired, the license shall remain valid for a period of 90 days beyond the stated expiration date on the license....

My ltc expires in mid June but I already started the renewal process in early April.

What do you mean by "started the renewal process"? Did you submit your app and get a receipt as required by law?

Your license is good until June then. You should be good to go to buy anything you want until then. Is there some great deal on a nice gun you are looking at that you might want to tell us about?

Then its good for and additional 90 days after the expiration date printed on the card.
Ok, thank you. I had my appointment in early April, paid fee and have my receipt. Im selling a pistol so I was making sure I was legally able to while my ltc was valid, in renewal, but not yet expired.

Legally, yes.

As a matter of practice, I don't know if MIRCS will process a purchase while your LTC is expired but in renewal.

I had my appointment april 15th, my ltc expires june 19th. So I am good to buy/sell until it expires or I receive the new LTC correct?

JFC dude. YES. Until 90 days AFTER it expires technically.

Legally, yes.

As a matter of practice, I don't know if MIRCS will process a purchase while your LTC is expired but in renewal.
THis is the best answer I've seen. THe law is clear. As of 1/1/15 if you have your renewal receipt you are legal. Whether the new streamlined MA government systems can handle the request is another matter.

To the OP, the LTC is valid until it expires, period!! Nobody has ever been denied a sale during "in process" PRIOR to expiration. See below for more details.

Legally, yes.

I'm concerned about this as well. I've addressed it to Michaela and been assured that FRB is working on this. To date I am not certain that it has been implemented.

I had my appointment april 15th, my ltc expires june 19th. So I am good to buy/sell until it expires or I receive the new LTC correct?

See above. At least until 6/19 you are GTG. After that is anyone's guess.

THis is the best answer I've seen. THe law is clear. As of 1/1/15 if you have your renewal receipt you are legal. Whether the new streamlined MA government systems can handle the request is another matter.

Exactly, see above. I'm aware of one PD that didn't issue a receipt.

I also expect that if a PD doesn't enter it as "in process" (sitting on a desk?) perhaps the LTC won't show as valid until the new one is issued (this refers ONLY to AFTER expiration).

Excellent idea!! The best way (after expiration) to check your own status in the system. Thanks. +Rep sent.

Legally, yes.

Not relevant to the OP's situation as his license is still valid. However, the FRB has committed to having the ability to honor license that have expired but are still valid due to a pending renewal. They've been very clear about this.

Not relevant to the OP's situation as his license is still valid. However, the FRB has committed to having the ability to honor license that have expired but are still valid due to a pending renewal. They've been very clear about this.

How magnanimous of them to agree to follow the law.....

How magnanimous of them to agree to follow the law.....

FRB is actually trying to do the right thing. However, realize that there was NO money given to them to implement any of these changes. Like normal the legislature passes laws without funding them or even finding out how realistic the implementation dates are in the new laws.

FRB is actually trying to do the right thing. However, realize that there was NO money given to them to implement any of these changes. Like normal the legislature passes laws without funding them or even finding out how realistic the implementation dates are in the new laws.

I'm pretty sure I could write a sql statement that would add 90 days to all of the expiration dates in about 10 minutes, and 9 of those minutes would be finding my sql book. I'm sure they could find a sql guy somewhere on the payroll already who could do it even faster.

In other words, I'm not moved by their cries of poverty.

Here you go FRB, free of charge:

Select (Getdate()+90) As MyDate

Three minutes...

Don't know why you are harping on "90 days". The law changed and it is now "infinite days".

Not a programmer and for all I know they may have the program written in Fortran! [laugh]

I'm pretty sure I could write a sql statement that would add 90 days to all of the expiration dates in about 10 minutes, and 9 of those minutes would be finding my sql book. I'm sure they could find a sql guy somewhere on the payroll already who could do it even faster.

In other words, I'm not moved by their cries of poverty.
It's all straightforward, but you would also have to:

- Add a column with the application status if not already present
- Query the application status as well as the expiration date
- Add appropriate MIRCS user interface changes at the dealer and PD level to support this

All the while with sufficient quality control to assure that a running system is not disrupted.

Not a programmer and for all I know they may have the program written in Fortran!
I believe it is MS SQL server. Not sure of the version or if it single node or cluster.

Back
Top Bottom