• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

buying used reloading equipment

I want to keep my eyes open for used reloading equipment, but don't know what to look for.

I want to reload to save money, and get better quality than the Wolf or Tula steel cased stuff.

I would probably be reloading in 9mm, .357 Magnum, and .223/5.56 (AR).

I don't mind doing separate processes, as opposed to one machine doing it all. I don't know if this works in my favor or not, as far as purchasing in increments as available.

Any suggestions on what I should be looking for, or steering clear from?

Last edited:
The problem is that use equipment made by the industry leader (Dillon) generally trades at about 80% of the value of new, so there is not a huge savings to be had. Dillon rarely uses middlemen, and when they do the spread is only 15%, and the lifetime warranty on all but the 1050 means that you are effectively buying "pretty much good as new" when you get a used blue.

Stay away from rust, anything that feels clunky, shows signs of excessive wear, and Lee 1000's. Nearly all of my equipment is used and I have gotten it much below average market value. Watch the classifieds and craigslist like a hawk and something good will pop up. Even Dillon can be had cheaply if you find the right deal.

Edit: I bought 2 Dillon square deal Bs with 5 caliber conversions and die sets in proper working order for $350. Deals are out there, they are just rare.

Last edited:
It's dumb to buy used gear unless it's simple stuff like accessories, eg, scales, tumblers, single stage presses, etc. That stuff often can go for cheap. On a progressive, buying used is usually a fools errand unless you get lucky and you get something like an estate sale where the widow just wants it gone and doesn't care what they get for it.

-Mike

I'd suggest going with something simple/inexpensive first, to see if you like it. if it's something you have time and inclination for. take a class from one of the members on reloading, I think EddiCoyle.

i started with lee single stage, for a rifle and i still use it. i don't reload hundreds of rounds and it suffices.

Also because of calibers i shoot it's cheaper (more convenient) to buy russian steel ammo than invest time and $$ into components. before you pull the trigger on some expensive set up, do an estimate, how much you will spend on bullets, how many reloads you'll get for the caliber out of one jar of powder, factor in shipping and hazmat fees for components if you buy them online etc. then do a brake down projected cost per round. you might find final price more realistic and less in line with expectations you *might* have.

I guess if you aiming for high quality match-grade ammo it's worth it, but you will not save much (if anything at all) when reloading rifle, even if you are getting free brass at the range and only buy primers, powder and bullets in bulk. I thought i will save, but end up coming back to russian steel, just because it's more cost/time effective for me than self-reloads.

you will probably save some cash if you reload pistol though, especially stuff like .357, maybe not so much 9mm.

Last edited:
You could always go halfs on a setup if you have someone close enough and trustworthy. I did this with a Lee package setup for .50bmg and it worked out well. I loaded what I had, the other guy loaded what he had and eventually I bought him out. I now own the press and dies and have it to use at my leisure.

Otherwise, go for a Dillon 550B setup with a couple of extra caliber conversions, tool heads and case guages and don't look back.

Get a 650 if you get Diller, nothing beats a progressive. Someday I want a 1050, but I like my LnL too much to bother.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

you get lucky and you get something like an estate sale where the widow just wants it gone and doesn't care what they get for it.
This is exactly why NONE of my guns and related stuff will ever go to an estate sale. I've made it clear I want it given away to people I hang around with on the range, as that option is far better than getting ripped off.

Otherwise, go for a Dillon 550B setupthe best Dillon setup you can afford setup with a couple of extra caliber conversions, tool heads and case gauges and don't look back.
FIFY

Last edited:
I guess I'm old school. I would go with a used quality single stage press. These are generally pretty inexpensive Learn the basics on how to reload one caliber on that and then move to a progressive. Purchase a die set you can transition over to the progressive. You can almost always find a use for the single stage as you continue reloading. And taking a class wouldn't hurt either.

Get a 650 if you get Diller, nothing beats a progressive. Someday I want a 1050, but I like my LnL too much to bother.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

Same here. I like my LnL, next big purchase would be a 1050, though with the LnL I don't really need it yet...the LnL doesn't really seem to lack anything that the 650 has, and from what I've read the concentricity can be much better on the LnL (haven't run tests myself though).

If I was doing it over again, I'd just go pay the $400 on Natchez for a new LnL and forget about trying to find a deal - as other posters have mentioned, you're not really going to find any super deals unless it's a blowout/estate sale. The time you save searching could be used getting set up and learning.

It's dumb to buy used gear unless it's simple stuff like accessories, eg, scales, tumblers, single stage presses, etc. That stuff often can go for cheap. On a progressive, buying used is usually a fools errand unless you get lucky and you get something like an estate sale where the widow just wants it gone and doesn't care what they get for it.

-Mike

dillon desn't replace missing parts if you buy used.

Otherwise, go for a Dillon 550B setup with a couple of extra caliber conversions, tool heads and case guages and don't look back.

Whereas you're not sure about your committment to reloading, I'd suggest a couple things:

Start with a single stage reloading setup (RCBS Rockchucker is a good one).

If you're going to go blue, go with the RL550B. While it's not as fast as the 650, it's probably the most popular reloading machine in the world and the things you need for it are FAR less expensive to come by than the 650.

Take a class.......Eddie Coyle or Duke in Maine (you still doing classes Duke??).

Yes, I am still doing classes. Now that I am spending the winter in Maine, the folks at Weaponcraft Training are asking me for a schedule.
I'll have one posted as soon as I know what my chemotherapy schedule is like.

I cover this subject carefully in my class. There isn't one answer to this question for everyone.
It really depends a LOT on :
1) Budget
2) Qty and variety of ammo that you plan on making
3) Available time for assembling components
4) Level of confidence and experience.

I always urge beginners to start off with a single station press. There will always be a need for one for new load development, oddball calibers, etc, etc, etc.

And, if patient, you can always find a deal on used single station gear. I'd avoid the very expensive NEW "package deals" at the store. Those don;t often give you the versions of the other tools that you might want.

Take a class.......Duke in Maine (you still doing classes Duke??).

I'm not afraid of used things....you have to have a eye for condition and price has to be right. I see most Dillon presses selling so close to new prices I would probably buy new just to know anything this press does or doesn't do is my problem.

-Mike

It isn't bad for an experienced reloader to buy used but a newbie is inviting a screwin either on price or function. Nearly everything on Ebay is overpriced. It's common to see new and used reloading stuff selling for a lot more on Ebay than you can buy it from Midway, Graf's, Natchezss, Midsouth, Wideners, or CheaperThanDirt.

Last edited:
Can the same pistol/rifle reloading equipment also be used for reloading 12 gauge shotgun shells?

That's a decent price I think. The press is about 130.00 alone I have not seen any cheaper. The scale runs 75.00. Powder measure 80.00. Manual 25+ case prep tool and lube pad about 25.00 so 300 plus shipping not included.
Want to get to 300.00 to get the 50.00 rebate buy a die set or the auto prime set up.
I seen the hand primer locally for 35.00.

I have the scale. It works very well and its my scale I trust the most.

I didn't like the hand primer that came with my hornady kit. I put it on ebay starting at 15.00 it sold for 38.00?!? Paid for the auto prime set up and some more bushings

Last edited:
I find a use for almost all types of presses as long as they are well designed and made. For my target high volume pistol loads I rely on my Star presses to give me precise 45 acp and 38 wadcutters. For bigger and less volume straight walled pistol/revolver cartridges I have two old Lyman 'All American' turrets that are reliable and keep everything within spec and then a large Hollywood Universal 12 station turret that doubles for some handgun but mostly smaller rifle cartridges like the Hornets, Bee and 32-20 and then my larger straight wall like the 375 win, 444 Marlin and 45-70's. I can keep three to four cartridge die sets up and ready to run all the time.

If I have large rifle cartridges that require real power to resize then my old Hollywood 'Senior' single stage gets the nod with less run out. I had a nice Co-Ax by Bonanza but sold it off and always wished I hadn't since I could seat rifle bullets with that press and get little if any run-out. I have had Dillons ( two ) and they were fine machines and the service was phenomenal in every respect but once you have seen and used a Star you won't go back. If you ever get a chance to look at and run a Star press it won't take long to see how Dillon came up with theirs.

Depending of course on your need for repeatability and accuracy and the amount of rounds you shoot
( handgun and rifle ) I personally think there is always a need for both a good single stage and a progressive or quality turret press if you shoot a lot of handgun ammo. I enjoy loading accurate ammo so I don't mind spending the time in the reloading room prepping and doing everything just right. I guess if I was doing IPSC and had a 1000 round a week habit then hell I would put motors on my Stars but I don't.

One of the problems I see with many who run big automatic feed progressives is that they often fail to see and get a feel for what the dies are doing and how the cases are responding. It is just dump in the component parts and pull handle. A crimp changes or a primers fails to seat properly and often if not most of the time the condition is not discovered until a session is over — then it's too late.

As you may notice I use and run a lot of older equipment but only because I have found that the machines are heavier with less flex and play and therefore are more repeatable and accurate over the long run. Problem is finding these machines since those that have them don't let them go and when they do there are many in line waiting. But they are out there and can be had if you look.

I really do talk too much

Last edited:
You could make several presses of today's standards with the metal of your Hollywood press........your stuff isn't old its ancient LOL.....I learned on a old Hollywood press.

Don't make me feel any older than I already am. I like my old presses and actually am kind of a nut when it comes to using the old school devices. They are heavy, reliable and stupid simple though and once you get used to their quirks turn out reliable loads year after year. I gotta say though that once Mike Dillon turned on the light with affordable and accessible progressives he woke up the industry. Outfits like Hornandy and RCBS now know there are a lot of shooters who want to turn out quantities of good ammo and loading one round at time on a single stage is pretty much limited to those loaders who cook for their hunting or special range rifles. A couple of shots of my single and turret presses and then I have my Stars.

IMG_2160.jpg

IMG_2157.jpg

That 1st press has more heft than the 20 ton press at my work! !!!!!!!!! The one I learner on is the big turret press

What I am saying is that I can certainly buy versions of the items in that kit (which I would prefer and like) for a lot cheaper. And, it would likely be some combination of new and USED items.

For example, I would totally skip the hand primer.
I would get a 750 or 1500 RCBS digital scale instead of the 502 analog scale.
I never use a lube pad (they get too grimy too fast), and opt for a paper towel with lube spread on it. So, I'd skip that.
And, I prefer larger loading trays than the one offered with that kit.

See where I am going?

Duke, would you say the added items in this kit aren't really worth it?

Last edited:
Any opinions on the RCBS Uniflow powder measure? I'm thinking of buying the kit for the press and the powder measure and trading off the rest. Also wondering if I could substitute the Hornady LockNLoad screw-in insert from their single-stage press in the Rockchucker, and use the LNL bushings on my rifle dies? I believe both presses are threaded to accept the .50 dies, and use an insert to step down to 7/8". I like the RCBS press better than the single-stage LNL.

Any opinions on the RCBS Uniflow powder measure? I'm thinking of buying the kit for the press and the powder measure and trading off the rest. Also wondering if I could substitute the Hornady LockNLoad screw-in insert from their single-stage press in the Rockchucker, and use the LNL bushings on my rifle dies? I believe both presses are threaded to accept the .50 dies, and use an insert to step down to 7/8". I like the RCBS press better than the single-stage LNL.

The Uniflow measure is decent with everything but very coarse stick powders.

You can put the L-N-L bushing adapter in the Rockchucker (I have two set up this way).

Back
Top Bottom