• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buying out of state (South Carolina)

Hi guys. I apologize for making a thread with my first post, and I'm also sure that this thread has probably been made before, if I were on my laptop instead of my phone I would have tried to search the forum a little better before making this thread. Mods, feel free to move or lock this thread if need be.

Anyway, I'm on vacation in South Carolina this week and I got the urge to buy a pistol down here. I have my class A LTC. My question is, since my class A is issued in Massachusetts, am I allowed to purchase out of state? I don't have my LTC with me, so I would have to have it mailed overnight to me.

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
Joe

I'm on vacation in South Carolina this week and I got the urge to buy a pistol down here. I have my class A LTC. My question is, since my class A is issued in Massachusetts, am I allowed to purchase out of state?

Welcome to NES!

Federal law dictates that handguns can only be transferred by a FFL in your State of residence.

So, you can purchase it in SC, but it must be transferred by a MA FFL.

However, the MA FFL can only transfer it to you if it is MA compliant (SEE: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/37553-MA-Handgun-Compliance-Q-A-Thread-(new)).

Last edited:
The only way you an purchase a handgun from out of state is to have the dealer in SC ship itto a dealer here in MA who will agree to transfer it for you.

This is a good reason to keep your favorite MA dealer in your cell phone contacts. If I found a gun out of state, I would give Brian at B&K a call to make sure that he could transfer it to me. The last thing you want to do is buy first and find out later that it cannot be transferred to you in MA.

Thanks for the replies.

I don't think I'll end up buying down here then. It's a shame because the prices are pretty decent. I'll just have to look around more when I get back to MA (it would have been my first purchase since getting my LTC).

buy a long gun that's AWB-compliant or exempt and bring THAT home.

no one says you can't buy a gun. buying guns is fun. go buy a gun. now.

You can get a shotgun or rifle down there, so long as it would be legal back home (AWB compliant, high cap mags, etc). You know, in case you see something that's a good deal. Long guns, IIRC, don't have to go through a home-state FFL. There should be a thread in the MA laws section that has more info.

Back
Top Bottom