• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buying off gunbroker in Mass.

Just got my LTC-A, so still new at this. Figure time to start buying stuff.

Item in question...some WW2-era 1911 magazines. Been wanting to collect old war-related firearms and accessories.

In MA, can I legally buy this item off a online site like this and have it shipped to my home? I understand firearms are a totally different animal, but what about magazines or other parts that are legal to possess in MA anyway. Free to Buy away?

Other examples Of what i would purchase would be m1 carbine mags, or Thompson mags. I have a ww2 display case and want to put some loaded ammo belts in there (w/ inert rounds)

Thanks

Last edited:
If it's legal for you to own, you can legally buy it anywhere. However, some sellers will refuse to ship to MA due to their unwillingness to try to make sense of MA laws. Make sure that all hi capacity mags you buy are pre-ban.

If it is a typical 8 round mag, no worries about high capacity, so just go ahead and buy it.

High cap (more than 10 rounds) ones like tommy mags and m1 carbine mags, make sure they are preban. Possession of a post ban one is a big no-no.

Last edited:
Got ya.

So it would make sense tp ask seller first before bidding?
I never do it. If they never mention in the listing that they don't ship to MA and you're the winner, they enter into the binding agreement with you and are obligated to provide you with the merchandise in exchange for your $. YMMV.

I never do it. If they never mention in the listing that they don't ship to MA and you're the winner, they enter into the binding agreement with you and are obligated to provide you with the merchandise in exchange for your $. YMMV.

I respectfully disagree. ALWAYS be sure the seller will ship to MA if there is any doubt. You don't want to get into a "HA-HA fooled you" situation with someone on an auction site - you'll get negative ratings and other sellers may refuse to do business with you. Don't think that once you make your purchase you'll never be back - you will. Don't set yourself up to destroy your own reputation.

Also - be aware that even if someone vouches that a magazine is "pre-ban", it's up to you to confirm. There are certain cases (manufacturer went out of business before the ban went into effect) where you are pretty safe to assume pre-ban, but in other cases it's almost impossible to tell. Try to make purchases of NIW (new in wrapper) surplus if at all possible, and KEEP the WRAPPER. It is usually stamped with the manufacture date. You still have no proof that a particular mag came from THAT wrapper, but at least you have some evidence to support your pre-ban claim.

Doesn't Mass suck?

As someone that sells online, If there's a question about the item (whether it can be shipped, or shipping cost, or whatever) I prefer that the bidder ask first.

Just as many non-mass residents think we're full of it when we tell them about our laws, many online sellers believe that they're more restrictive than they are.

If SellerA won't ship the mags to Mass....better you know before you bid, win, and get pissed off. Then you go to SellerB.

I usually email the seller if it's something that could be restricted. Ive had some people flat out refuse to do business with someone in MA because they dont want to deal with the headache .... Ive also had sellers independently research the situation after I contacted them and finally agreed to go ahead with the transaction once they were convinced they werent going to end up in jail for selling me the stuff.

A lot of people post that they wont sell item X to "CA, MA, NY, NJ" or something like that, but it ends up being legal (eg certain pre-ban items), if you email them and explain it they might be understanding.

Back
Top Bottom