1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Buying in SE NH

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DarthRevan, May 16, 2019.

1. atmay

atmay NES Member

I put 3% down on my house, and my lady put 0% on hers through the VA.

We’ve never not had equity in either property.

2. atmay

atmay NES Member

Stratham/Exeter area is good for this.

3. TrackDayRdr

TrackDayRdr NES Member

If you live in NH and work in MA you will still pay MA income taxes along with NH real estate taxes. While NH is famous for "no income tax" they have fees...on everything. If you are self-employed there is an 8% tax on business income (exclusive of your "compensation") and an archaic tax system that will require records for things you might not be aware of. If you have questions, connect with a CPA who is aware of the way the two tax systems work and follow their advice. Coincidentally, I'm a CPA - let me know if you have questions.

4. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

Worth the price of admission in a sellers market?

5. atmay

atmay NES Member

Greenland, Stratham, and the non-beachy portions of Hampton/No Hampton will provide you with a much more satisfying bang for your buck right now, I think. Portsmouth proper is great and all, but hella spendy.

Grendizer138 likes this.
  6. boiler_eng

boiler_eng NES Member

The $30K, is that including or outside of Closing costs, moving, larger emergency/repair fund due to house, slush fund for if rental lease and closing don't line up so you have to float some multi payment months, additional furnishings due to more room, yard equipment, more tools, first year of home insurance, cash to pay taxes on investments cashed in, etc.

The richest I ever felt was cutting checks to pay for a house, the poorest was looking back 6 mo later on how little I saved. (4 months of double payments + lots of first time expenses meant I was barely cashflow positive the first few months.) Also, beware that houses can tend to make babies if you aren't careful.

7. DispositionMatrix

DispositionMatrix NES Member

It's all kind of dense. If you don't mind being packed in UK-style, the seacoast region is for you.

8. Dench

Dench

This is a necessary evil for a shit ton of people. I don't really know why it gets brought up so much as yes, it is a thing, but my equivalent position in NH is going to make ~30%+ less of the bat immediately. Shit, there are places in NH that pay 60% less for the same exact position than MA's equivalent. Worth the drive? f***. Yes.

Bt74, JayMcB, edmorseiii and 2 others like this.
  9. DarthRevan

DarthRevan Instructor NES Member

I work in Nashua/Merrimack so I really don’t want the seacoast area. I really wish she’d be more willing to look for work in NH but at least she’s open enough to move out of MA...

As for covering months of rent we’re in a very fortunate position where it’s a third floor apt of her parents house. They’ve been saving half of the paid rent for us to use as a down payment in the future. In addition to what we save we will also have a little extra cash to help with any additional extras that might pop up.
    As for moving expenses, we don’t really have much to take with us aside from clothes, the sofas, guns, and some knick knacks. Thankfully there’s a pickup in the family so beer and pizza should be the only expenses there.

10. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

I'm a young guy in my 30s. No wife, no kids, no mortgage. Free as a bird. Ideally, I want to step out of my door and walk into the action. On weekends, I want to jet up into the mountains and lakes.
    Between me and my father, we're looking to buy with cash. I want it as a bachelor pad, he wants it as an investment property.

Here's where I'm stuck: on top of Portsmouth's prices being a highly desirable area, it's also a sellers market. I can hold off and save until I prices come down, or I opt out until I'm older and want to live in the suburbs..

Grendizer138 likes this.
  11. bondsman333

bondsman333 NES Member

If you had to sell the property for any reason within a couple years of purchasing, you would owe money.

Therein lies the problem. If we have another 2007-8 collapse, the hosuing market and job market are (somewhat) linked. If you lose your job, can't afford to pay your mortgage, AND your house value goes down you'll end up in one of those tent cities. I have seen it first hand.

How is that possible? Between closing costs and realtor fees, theres almost no way you'd have equity at 0-3% down.

12. NH_Realtor

NH_Realtor NES Life Member NES Member

Problem is availability in Greenland and the taxes in Stratham. Hampton's ok, North Hampton is probably the best of the bunch but they're coming up against ridiculous town spending raising taxes. Learned alot about this during my (failed) run for state rep, my district is Portsmouth, Greenland Newington and North Hampton.

The availability problem is really all throughout the seacoast and other area's right now. We need inventory big time.

13. ReluctantDecoy

ReluctantDecoy

That's a possibility, but also a bit of a perfect (sh*t) storm. That's why it is important to establish homestead when buying, and preferably not be house-poor (ie. not putting 100% of liquidity into monthly mortgage payments).

14. atmay

atmay NES Member

We didn’t think the taxes in Stratham were terribly absurd, compared to some of the other towns we were looking at.

Don’t buy a house that appraises for exactly what you’re paying for it, that’s how.

I had ~15% equity in my house as soon as the ink was dry on the title.

15. atmay

atmay NES Member

Yeah, anywhere that isn’t the very expensive part of Portsmouth isn’t going to do that for you. We’re a 10-15min drive from downtown, and it’s basically the boondocks.

SKumar likes this.
  16. NH_Realtor

They're not that bad comparatively to most other towns, especially Exeter. I'm comparing it to Portsmouth and I shouldn't be, I'm just very anti tax. I really like Stratham as a town though, sounds like you're just down the road from me. I'm right by Pease.

SKumar likes this.
  17. atmay

atmay NES Member

The house I own is in North Berwick. All of NH was a bit of a shock when it came to taxes...

But yeah, we’re not not too far from Pease. Kinda across the street from the hill park.

18. NH_Realtor

Nice, I'll be down there for the fair again this year just like every year!

atmay likes this.
  19. jron

jron NES Member

Federal minimum downpayment is 3.5%. The days of 20% are long gone for the average working man, median house prices nearly quadrupled since the 80's.

20. Kevin_NH

Kevin_NH NES Member

Homestead in New Hampshire is covered in RSA 480:1 & 529:20; unlike some other states, there's no concept of "establishing homestead"; under NH state law, equity protection is automatic (Increased in 2016 to $120K/240K for single/married).

Bt74 and ReluctantDecoy like this.
  21. NH_Realtor

If the town is approved USDA will do 0% down rural development loan. I was surprised when I helped some friends of ours buy in Pembroke and it was an approved town.

22. jron

jron NES Member

Interesting.

23. boiler_eng

boiler_eng NES Member

Yeah sounds like a good situation. Just make sure to model your costs well so you don't end up with a payment that is difficult when the rest of life comes along.

24. bondsman333

bondsman333 NES Member

Yeah and the gov't will also loan you $150K for a degree in Gender Studies. Doesn't mean its a good idea...

Bt74 likes this.
  25. Nhusa

Nhusa

Wind yourself around Great Bay and head north of Exeter toward Newmarket or a bit west into Epping and Raymond.
    The tween towns (between Exeter and Manchester) are close to things and still inexpensive...with room for shooting.

Kevin_NH likes this.
  26. edmorseiii

edmorseiii Navy Veteran NES Member

STFU everyone else, who let you back in?

[kiss]

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Dench likes this.
  27. Dench

Dench

Back door action! I don't know what that means but I like it.

edmorseiii likes this.
  28. Dench

Dench

Well the options arent really very realistic for most 1st time home buyers, especially in the fine state of Massachusetts. PMI is basically hepatitis C of the finance world. How can one make a mortgage even more miserable? Why hello PMI. Yes, I'd love to pay $20,000+ of additional bullshit to have the pleasure of owning a house in a place I don't want to live in. How did you know?

The days of 20% down payments are over for most 1st time buyers. With 2 groups of people battling for the death over bragging rights: People who sell narcotics and people whose parents provide them with insane amounts of cash. Not to mention that most people who do put cash down on a house don't actually put 20% down since that is an insane amount of money to have floating around.

Keeping with the general theme of my life, I lucked out and bought my house in a "low" period of the local market. And buy low I mean I only had to use half a tube of lube on myself to be able to finish the deal (think of the savings!). I put zero down. Because I had approximately zero dollars in my bank account because I have a job thats sole purpose was to provide a landlord with income. Savings? Hilarious! Anywho, even with zero down the market went up so ridiculously fast that I had equity on my home almost immediately. Within 6 months I think. I now have over $150,000 of equity into my lovely home that I don't want in a place I dont want to live in under 6 years.

Is the fact that my home value has gone up over $110,000 in 5 years an indication that the housing market is smoking crack? Yes. The housing market is smoking so much crack infact that it's starting to defecate in the streets. And theres one thing Dench is going to do, and thats slip on said pile of poo-poo, bang my head off the ground and die before I can even cash out on said sexy equity without spending it all in Le Village Gai in Montreal like a real man.

I just hope in the end the banks find more ways to make money off people. Retarded mortgages? Yes. Student loans that not eve Jesus H Christ can default out of? Please. I mean shit, take my money!

I know this has become an easy cliche to take shots at the bad choices that children make but it only serves to conceal the real issue. There are plenty of legit degrees that plenty of people graduate with who are unable to find positions that pay enough for a "normal" life style.

Sure, the dumb degrees are dumb, hur dur, we know. They have always been dumb. But the thing thats actually dumb are degrees that are very expensive that have job markets that are paying like it's 1988 still.

I was just looking at getting my BS. Since I have milked the GI Bill 100% dry I actually have to pay for this. The following is so retarded that I want to preface it by saying it's true and I've checked the math. If I go from an AS to a BS in my field the raise earned from said upgrade will take over 42 years to pay for the degree at current pay rates not including inflation or pay raises.

So Denchy just hit that red X on her browser.

I'm not sure how people don't seem to understand how different the housing market is now compared to any point pre 2008 nuclear holocaust bail out extravaganza. When my grandparents bought their 1st homes in the earl 1960's both of them did so on a single income. Both of these loans were for amounts that were approximately 2 years of their gross pay. One of the houses is still owned by said grandparents. The house now using median income of an individual in it's zip is about 9 years gross income. Even if a person had a spouse who makes the median along side we're still talking about a loan thats 2x more of a nightmare than grannies. Not to mention other costs that are out of control, such as child care which is starting to become a running gag to see how high it can get. Also student loan, etc.

basically the 30 year mortgage obliterated the housing market and subsidized loans did the same for student loans. Since the bank can't come and take your degree away when you can't pay the loan they've worked hard over the past 40 years to get it to where it is now - next to impossible to defualt on.

And the best part is people support the current student loan debt thing as if it's a legit thing and a lesson people can learn from. It's a f***ing scam. the same banks who changed the rules are the same group of people who got bailed out when they abused the housing market so hard for so long it fell apart.

brb while i open a savings account for money i dont have that earns less interest than inflation devalues. What a deal!

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  29. NHKevin

NHKevin NES Member

You think people don't put 20% down? I just had to put 25% down on a house I closed on a month ago.

M1911 likes this.
  30. C. Stockwell

C. Stockwell

The point was that most first-time buyers don't put 20% down. Not all first-time buyers. You are a sample size of one and are you representative of the first-time home buyer market?

andrew1220 likes this.