• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buying in NH, live in MA

Say I want to take a drive up to NH and purchase a rifle (AR15) at a dealer. I have a non-res NH and a MA class A ALP license. Will they sell to me? Do I have to register the rifle when I get back in state? I know it must a a MA compliant set up if postban. So what are the details on legally bringing into MA? I couldn't find anything on this by searching.

They will sell you anything except a handgun.It's up to you to know the laws of MA regarding things you shouldn't have.
I have a friend who tried to make a purchase of what would be considered an AW under Mass law at a gun show down south. The dealer made the sale with the NICS check and all. As my friend was walking out of the show, the dealer with a security guard chased him down and made him return the rifle because it wasn't Mass compliant.

Let's change that to they're suppposed to sell you any long gun. But in this case it's clear that dealer is 1) covering his ass by not selling a gun that will instantly become illegal as it crosses the state line and 2) saving the customer a possible felony charge.

Let's change that to they're suppposed to sell you any long gun. But in this case it's clear that dealer is 1) covering his ass by not selling a gun that will instantly become illegal as it crosses the state line and 2) saving the customer a possible felony charge.

Not true. Read the BATFE Regs on FFLs selling guns. The BATFE REQUIRES that the dealer NOT sell a gun to anyone that would be illegal in the buyer's state of residence. It's a big burden on the FFL to know not only their own state laws but also those of 49 other states, in order to ensure that the dealer is complying with his FFL License.

The dealer Jon mentioned above was merely complying with Fed Law/Regs and could have indeed gotten into trouble if he let the sale go thru without retracting it.

Hey thanks for all the info, it's pretty much what I expected. So I should bring an FA-10 form with me when this is done because the seller needs to fill out the upper portion of it, correct?

Hey thanks for all the info, it's pretty much what I expected. So I should bring an FA-10 form with me when this is done because the seller needs to fill out the upper portion of it, correct?

No the seller (non-MA source) does NOT fill out the FA-10. It is filed as a "Registration" not as a "transfer". Read and follow the instructions on the FA-10 cover sheet wrt filling out the form and you'll be fine.

Ok great, thanks for the heads up on all of this. I want to make sure things are done right. While I have you guys reading that know the in's and out's I have one more question. My grandfather is giving me his old Enfield .303. He is no longer licensed and the rifle was bought about 50 years ago. Do I simply need to do another registration form?

I have a friend who tried to make a purchase of what would be considered an AW under Mass law at a gun show down south. The dealer made the sale with the NICS check and all. As my friend was walking out of the show, the dealer with a security guard chased him down and made him return the rifle because it wasn't Mass compliant.

Course, this begs the question, what if the guy said- "Well, I'm not
bringing this back to Massachusetts! I have a vacation home here at
XYZ address, so can I still keep the rifle here?" The letter of the law
in that regard says "yes", but I think they'd probably still make him give it
back.

-Mike

Ok great, thanks for the heads up on all of this. I want to make sure things are done right. While I have you guys reading that know the in's and out's I have one more question. My grandfather is giving me his old Enfield .303. He is no longer licensed and the rifle was bought about 50 years ago. Do I simply need to do another registration form?

The right way to do it is both of you go to an FFL and pay for a
transfer. You could have done it privately, but that's only allowed between
two licensed people, the exception being an estate transfer.

-Mike

intersting. so if i buy a long arm at say KTP, I have to file a FA10 when i get home? I didn't know that

ANY firearm purchase while an MA resident that is brought back into the state MUST be registered on an FA-10. The only exception to the registration rule is when a new resident moves into the state with his or her firearms, they are considered exempt from this provision until they are transferred to any other individual in the state.

Back
Top Bottom