Buying in NH, bringing to CT

Can anyone shed light on the legality of a CT resident buying a long gun in NH and then bringing it back to CT?

Thanks.

As long as the purchase is legal in both NH and CT, you're good to go. Be sure to comply with the provisions of FOPA on your way through MA if you don't have a non-res LTC.

Just to clarify what jar said, it has to be through an FFL. No face to face sales between residents of two different states without an FFL.

Also, even though FOPA theoretically protects you, I would be wary of trying to bring a long gun through MA that MA state laws says you can't have (e.g. an "assault weapon", or a "large capacity weapon" without a non-res permit). If it's either one of those (although it's not going to be an assault weapon if you live in CT), you'd be safer shipping it to yourself rather than bringing it back with you. If it's neither of those, then MA state law, as well as FOPA, allows you to travel with it through MA, as long as it's unloaded and enclosed in a case.

Thanks for catching that jdubois. I assumed that the OP knew that, which was probably a bad assumption.

I agree on not bringing banned guns through MA. FOPA legally protects you, but I wouldn't assume MA authorities will recognize that, at least not initially.

Thanks for the information, any purchase would be from ll cote in new hampshire to me individually. Does that clarify it at all?

Out of curiosity - can you buy non-CT legal "assault weapons" out of state as long as you don't bring them back here? I'm a CT resident - but have places to store other goodies in a free state (but am not a resident there).

Out of curiosity - can you buy non-CT legal "assault weapons" out of state as long as you don't bring them back here? I'm a CT resident - but have places to store other goodies in a free state (but am not a resident there).

That's a gray area legally, but the likely answer is no because federal law does not allow an FFL to sell a gun to a non-resident that would be illegal for them to own in their home state. Some here have questioned whether the federal government has the authority to cause the laws of one state to be binding in another. But given the federal law, you may have trouble finding an FFL that will sell one to you.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't do it legally, but it might spook the dealer. Shouldn't really matter as long as you are legal to purchase it in that state. How is he to know that you intend to leave it with a family member or something and shoot it when you vacation there outside of CT? How can he be responsible for what you do with an "assault weapon" once the legal transaction is made and you leave his shop?

Back
Top Bottom