• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buying Handguns off Gunbroker

So I'm perusuing GB last night and I came across a 1991 Colt 1911. Anyway it got me to thinking. Can I buy that Gun from GB and have it shipped to a MA FFL with out issue since it is technically "Preban"?

I think you'll have to call around to various FFLs near you to find out if they can. I ran into issues buying a "preban" norinco mak 90 on GB and could only find 1 FFL who would transfer it since it didn't have the original thumbhole stock?

If it isn't on the roster list I'm not sure if many FFLs will transfer it. Or if it was in the state before 1994 maybe it's good to go?

Last edited:
I think preban/postban only pertained to magazines and what is deemed "assault rifle".

the pistol itself will have to be on the MA whatever list, or if the MA FFL will want to deal with it. It's a good think the 1911 you're interested in a Colt brand, I think if it's some obscure brand not on whatever MA list, MA FFLs won't touch it.

So I'm perusuing GB last night and I came across a 1991 Colt 1911. Anyway it got me to thinking. Can I buy that Gun from GB and have it shipped to a MA FFL with out issue since it is technically "Preban"?

Nope, needs documentation that it was in the state prior to 1998.

Chris

I assume you realize the Colt 1991 is a model number and not a date of manufacturing. They did start producing them around that time however they're still making them. You can buy a 2014 1991.
As Dangger mentioned, preban and post ban only pertain to magazines and so called assault weapons.

Nope, needs documentation that it was in the state prior to 1998.

Chris

This. There is a nice notice at the Four Seasons site that spells it out. The handgun must either be on the EOPS list OR be documented as being in MA before the 1998 gun law. Magazines are different because those limits were imposed by the AWB and there is no registration of magazines. As long as they were made before the 1994 AWB went in to effect, you can import them from anywhere.

very few FFL's will, most FFL's won't, you have to find someone willing to say fu to Marsha.......legally they can,t unless there is documentation that it was here previous to all the bogus handgun list crap.....or get a C and R, and find one old enough to qualify, and have it sent direct to your home!

If a handgun it made before October 1998 your good to go, but most dealers will not transfer because they don't want to deal with the AG. As far as i know Handgun transfers aren't allowed unless the gun had been previously registered in Mass regardless if it's PreBan, this is why most dealers won't do the transfer. Nor will they transfer post 1998 Handguns.

I think you'll have to call around to various FFLs near you to find out if they can. I ran into issues buying a "preban" norinco mak 90 on GB and could only find 1 FFL who would transfer it since it didn't have the original thumb hole stock?

If it isn't on the roster list I'm not sure if many FFLs will transfer it. Or if it was in the state before 1994 maybe it's good to go?

Don't listen to gun shops, they barely know anything . Your allowed to transfer any PreBan (Sept 94') "Assault Weapon" into this state regardless of "Evil Features". The Handgun Roster is a completely different law than the 94' AW ban. The 1998 Handgun Ban has the "roster" of approved handguns, not AW's.

Last edited:
I see new 1911's for sale all the time and an older one might be a problem? sorry for butting in, but I'm interested as well

I think your confused, that "1991" 1911 is the Model of a Colt 1911, not the date. If you get the serial number off the gun you can call Colt and find out it's born on Date.

Buying Handguns off Gunbroker... is like buying a wife from a catalog.

Back
Top Bottom