• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buying guns out of state

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had any information regarding the laws for buying guns out of state. Like, a gun that is Mass legal, but I'd actually go to New Hampshire or Vermont to purchase it, since I spend a lot of time working up there and it would save me a few bucks on the FFL transfer. Any ideas?

So, if I buy a long gun at a gun shop, I'm ok as long as it's legal here in MA, but if I buy a pistol, I have to have them mail it to my local FFL?

So, if I buy a long gun at a gun shop, I'm ok as long as it's legal here in MA, but if I buy a pistol, I have to have them mail it to my local FFL?

Correct. And the MA FFL can't transfer that handgun to you unless it is in accordance with the EOPS regulations and the AG's consumer protection regulations.

do you have to do an FA-10 for long guns as well?

Yes. MGL Chapter 140 S129C, 3rd paragraph:

A seller shall, within seven days, report all such transfers to the executive director of the criminal history systems board according to the provisions set forth in section one hundred and twenty-eight A, and in the case of loss, theft or recovery of any firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun, a similar report shall be made forthwith to both the executive director of the criminal history systems board and the licensing authority in the city or town where the owner resides. Failure to so report shall be cause for suspension or permanent revocation of such person’s firearm identification card or license to carry firearms, or both, and shall be punished by a fine of not less than $200 nor more than $1,000 for a first offense and by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $5,000 for a second offense.
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-129c.htm

Back
Top Bottom