Buying Bolt Gun Out of State

I figured this has been asked and answered a bunch of times but, I did some searching but could not find the answer -- maybe my search-fu needs some work.

If I drive up to NH to buy a bolt gun, specifically looking for a Remington 700, are there any potential issues to consider related to the transfer and any Mass compliance BS I need to be aware of? Since it's a bolt gun and not subject to AWB, there should be no concerns with a threaded barrel - correct?

Just the fact I need to be concerned enough to ask really p!sses me off!

I figured this has been asked and answered a bunch of times but, I did some searching but could not find the answer -- maybe my search-fu needs some work.

If I drive up to NH to buy a bolt gun, specifically looking for a Remington 700, are there any potential issues to consider related to the transfer and any Mass compliance BS I need to be aware of? Since it's a bolt gun and not subject to AWB, there should be no concerns with a threaded barrel - correct?

Just the fact I need to be concerned enough to ask really p!sses me off!

if the shop is walmart dont bother. they wont sell to MA residents

Quote the mgl.

Its federal law

ETA:

2. May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a friend who resides in a different State?
Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an individual
who does not reside in the State where the transferee reside
s. Generally, for a person to lawfully
transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a
Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State of residence. He or she may then
receive the firearm f
rom the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background
check. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at
www.atf.gov
and
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed
-
persons.html
. The GCA provides an exception from this
prohibition
for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. Thus, for
example, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another exception is
provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful be
quest or acquisition by
intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who
inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent. See 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5)

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/0501-firearms-top-10-qaspdf/download

Its federal law

ETA:

2. May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a friend who resides in a different State?
Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an individual
who does not reside in the State where the transferee reside
s. Generally, for a person to lawfully
transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a
Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State of residence. He or she may then
receive the firearm f
rom the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background
check. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at
www.atf.gov
and
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed
-
persons.html
. The GCA provides an exception from this
prohibition
for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. Thus, for
example, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another exception is
provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful be
quest or acquisition by
intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who
inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent. See 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5)

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/0501-firearms-top-10-qaspdf/download

Thanks evidently I know criminals.

No problem with law, maybe a problem with gun shop policy. E.g. Shooters outpost will only sell to MA residents with a LTC class A. That's what they told me when I bought a mosin there. It wasn't a problem for me, but might be for you. I would call first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks evidently I know criminals.
Yup. Lots of folks dont know that private sale over a state line needs to go thru an ffl. Its ****ed up! I bought a bolt action rifle from a friend of mine a couple years back. Army buddy. We deployed twice together. I mean he knows me! He could have sold that rifle legally to a total stranger in nh with a driver license.....but because we live 8 miles apart with a state line between us legally we had to take it to an ffl. Wtf!

I did speak to one New Hampshire gun shop (no names) about the Mass Compliance issue and their response was; "If you tell us that you know the firearm in question is compliant we can sell it to you. If we have to look it up, we have to go by what we find."

So when it comes to Mass compliant when buying a long gun from an out of state dealer (no Mass FFL involved) who bears the burden for the rifle being Mass compliant?

I did speak to one New Hampshire gun shop (no names) about the Mass Compliance issue and their response was; "If you tell us that you know the firearm in question is compliant we can sell it to you. If we have to look it up, we have to go by what we find."

So when it comes to Mass compliant when buying a long gun from an out of state dealer (no Mass FFL involved) who bears the burden for the rifle being Mass compliant?

BOTH of you. Fed Law requires ALL FFLs to ensure that any gun transaction is legal where it takes place AND LEGAL for the new owner to possess where he lives. Therefore, NO FFL anywhere is supposed to sell an AR15/AK47 (or clones) to Boston Residents (including the villages making up Boston) . . . as an example that is violated daily by probably every dealer who has a Boston Resident for a customer! <just one example>

BATFE supplies every Dealer FFL with a CD with all the pertinent laws for every state and city with anti-gun laws. I'll bet 99% of FFLs never break the plastic wrap on the CD.

NOTE: "MA Compliant" doesn't exist for long guns. The only restriction is the AWB and mag capacity restriction and again both dealer and owner are subject to felony charges for ignoring that law.

Back
Top Bottom