Buying AR lower receiver private sale in mass

Can't we load a subroutine that automatically displays the search results for "AR" and "MA" anytime someone tries to post a question regarding this?
Not being a dick, but seriously this same question comes up every two weeks.
Or maybe when hit "post thread" or whatever the script automatically sends it to an AR question megathread.
I'm guilty myself of asking something that is searchable... but this has been asked so many times, you must get a thousand search results.
Check out r/MAGuns on reddit and you will find all the members here to be brilliant and capable of using search by comparison.

Can't we load a subroutine that automatically displays the search results for "AR" and "MA" anytime someone tries to post a question regarding this?

Set state forums (not the gun law specific that already exist) may help as well.

Check out r/MAGuns on reddit and you will find all the members here to be brilliant and capable of using search by comparison.
Shitz and giggles I just ran a search for "AR" and "MA", everything after July 1 2016 (so its post-Maura).
Scanned past the WTS results, there were at least 10 that could be relevant.
I guess these could be good to drum up some traffic into the Mill too...

Last edited:
Set state forums (not the gun law specific that already exist) may help as well.
I do notice its usually newer guys, they probably don't know the depth of discussions that went on here in years past.
I remember when I was new I went back and forth with a guy on here asking a bunch of stupid questions that I probably could have googled or found on youtube.

I do notice its usually newer guys, they probably don't know the depth of discussions that went on here in years past.
I remember when I was new I went back and forth with a guy on here asking a bunch of stupid questions that I probably could have googled or found on youtube.
Very true I’m am new but not new in guns just the AR side of it and finally it’s been 15 years since I been wanting to build a few or so but my kids came first now I can get back into things

however I like to ask these kinda questions because I just had to buy a lower privately and it was a unregistered lower so there was no ef10 here in mass and I read all the stuff people had said about it but I like to double up and ask on top of doing research on this in case maybe there is something new like very new that just popped up and anyone can tell me

thanks guys for all the discussion here I appreciate it I do

Very true I’m am new but not new in guns just the AR side of it and finally it’s been 15 years since I been wanting to build a few or so but my kids came first now I can get back into things

however I like to ask these kinda questions because I just had to buy a lower privately and it was a unregistered lower so there was no ef10 here in mass and I read all the stuff people had said about it but I like to double up and ask on top of doing research on this in case maybe there is something new like very new that just popped up and anyone can tell me

thanks guys for all the discussion here I appreciate it I do
If you read what's been said here, you'd see that we talk a lot. You can be confident that if the was a change folks would have said so.

I don't know if this has been asked in the past.... Is it possible to get a copy of a 4473 form from the ATF for something you bought from an FFL 7-8 years ago? Basically a stripped receiver, never built out, never registered and didn't keep the receipt.

I don't know if this has been asked in the past.... Is it possible to get a copy of a 4473 form from the ATF for something you bought from an FFL 7-8 years ago? Basically a stripped receiver, never built out, never registered and didn't keep the receipt.

The ATF doesn't have the 4473 unless the shop has closed.
Go ask the shop you bought the item from.

The ATF doesn't keep that. Your FFL will have records of the transaction in their book.

To be curious-for what purpose would you need the 4473? You know the date of purchase. If some rando government agency in your gulag of a state wants to prove something, they have to ask the FFL.

The ATF doesn't keep that. Your FFL will have records of the transaction in their book.

To be curious-for what purpose would you need the 4473? You know the date of purchase. If some rando government agency in your gulag of a state wants to prove something, they have to ask the FFL.

Mainly asked out of curiosity since it's something I've casually wondered about from time to time.

Is this penchant for bills of sale for FTF transactions a Mass thing?

They aren't a requirement federally and have never been a requirement in any of the other states I've lived in for FTF transactions. I've done plenty of FTF transactions and the only paper visible was cash. If the firearm comes up in a crime 57 states away and they ask me, it isn't my problem-I sold it to Bob who reasonably assured me that he was legal to purchase.

Not a requirement but some people want them to cover their ass. I don't blame them. In MA at least the average chief would probably fry you on suitability if they found out you sold a lower to an unwashed person (no LTC) even though its not a gun under MA law. So it's best to just record that shit somehow (via a bill of sale) and tuck it away.

I’m embarrassed to ask.. In MA, once a lower has been built up and efa10’d, can it be stripped down and privately sold on a BOS (I think so) or does it need to be efa10’d for eternity?

I’m embarrassed to ask.. In MA, once a lower has been built up and efa10’d, can it be stripped down and privately sold on a BOS (I think so) or does it need to be efa10’d for eternity?
Ostensibly if the thing was ever devolved into just a receiver it would just sell as a receiver... MA law is silent on this condition.

I read this thread earlier trying to ease my tensions about selling a lower that was never EFA-10’d using a bill of sale. The guy pulled up to the meeting place in an unmarked black Explorer and turned out to be a cop - so if you guys don’t hear from me for awhile we’ll know it’s illegal.

Ok so I bought my 1st lower, built it up and registered it. But now I've replaced it with a 2nd lower. When I sell my 1st lower to a private buyer I assume we need to both fill out the efa10 form b/c that 1st lower is already registered to me and I want to transfer it to the seller? Do I have this right?

Ok so I bought my 1st lower, built it up and registered it. But now I've replaced it with a 2nd lower. When I sell my 1st lower to a private buyer I assume we need to both fill out the efa10 form b/c that 1st lower is already registered to me and I want to transfer it to the seller? Do I have this right?
No.

When you sell a firearm, you (the seller) complete an eFA-10 through the portal. This records its transfer to the buyer. The pedantic among us would remind you that MGL and USC define firearm differently.

To be clear, nothing you do will ever change the fact that you recorded that firearm as having transferred into your possession. In 20 years (assuming the system still exists) when that firearm has been transferred 17 times, a search of your firearms will still show that as among them.

Strip that lower down and sell it to a fellow MA valid LTC holder with just a bill of sale = no laws broken!
Who then builds it out and files an eFA-10 showing no seller, even though the serial number is already in the database. Just goes to show what a steaming pile of manure comprises the system in MA.

I agree.

But in our legal system, you are guilty until proven innocent.

Back
Top Bottom