• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buying AR lower receiver private sale in mass

If someone in mass has a lower AR receiver That has never been registered it is just a stripped lower receiver never built do you not need to ef10 it and you can just sell it with no paper work as it’s not Considered a firearm and has never been registered in Massachusetts? Thanks all for replies in advanced.

Bill of sale. Done. Can’t register a lower by itself. Register it once it’s capable of firing a shot. Leave seller info blank.
But I thought Massachusetts didn't have a gun registry. Just report transactions. But if the lower isn't a firearm until you attachan upper, there is no firearm transaction.

Same thing with home built guns. If there's no transaction, what is there to register?

Just [pot].

MA laws make no sense.

If someone in mass has a lower AR receiver That has never been registered it is just a stripped lower receiver never built do you not need to ef10 it and you can just sell it with no paper work as it’s not Considered a firearm and has never been registered in Massachusetts? Thanks all for replies in advanced.

Keep in mind federal law still considers it a firearm.

Thought I did some paperwork when I bought my stripped lowers at Precision Point Firearms? Looking to sell them now,

,.. cause you were at an FFL,.. this is a private transfer in this case,... see post #2,... then post #3,... IBTL

Thought I did some paperwork when I bought my stripped lowers at Precision Point Firearms? Looking to sell them now,
It’s a federal firearm so a dealer makes you do a federal background check. Private individuals can still sell each other guns with out government oversight under federal law. Since a lower is unregulated by Ma you can meet in the back parking lot of the local strip club and make the exchange lawfully.

Don’t over think it. Do it now before Uncle Joe makes blocks of aluminum illegal.

It’s a federal firearm so a dealer makes you do a federal background check. Private individuals can still sell each other guns with out government oversight under federal law. Since a lower is unregulated by Ma you can meet in the back parking lot of the local strip club and make the exchange lawfully.

Don’t over think it. Do it now before Uncle Joe makes blocks of aluminum illegal.
Thanks!!
Uncle Joe is a block of sh!t rank over..

Is this penchant for bills of sale for FTF transactions a Mass thing?

They aren't a requirement federally and have never been a requirement in any of the other states I've lived in for FTF transactions. I've done plenty of FTF transactions and the only paper visible was cash. If the firearm comes up in a crime 57 states away and they ask me, it isn't my problem-I sold it to Bob who reasonably assured me that he was legal to purchase.

Is this penchant for bills of sale for FTF transactions a Mass thing?

They aren't a requirement federally and have never been a requirement in any of the other states I've lived in for FTF transactions. I've done plenty of FTF transactions and the only paper visible was cash. If the firearm comes up in a crime 57 states away and they ask me, it isn't my problem-I sold it to Bob who reasonably assured me that he was legal to purchase.
Not a requirement but just a CYA thing

Probably the 4473 form, Firearms Transaction Record. I rcvd a copy of mine so I could prove it was purchased prior to July 20, 2016 in the event I wanted to sell in MA if i didnt build it. I also planned to use Bill of Sale as that is what the majority of posters on all these threads for the last 5 years have recommended. Being an Anderson, the serial easily dates it.

Thanks.
IMO-meh. To each their own. I don't really see the purpose as the FTF transaction is legal.

One of the joys of FTF transactions are there is no written record. I have no desire to muck that up.
I agree,, to each their own. I think the bill of sale is more a security blanket for the buyer, not the seller. I already have proof I bought it from the dealer with invoice and maybe the 4473, the buyer has no proof it was from MA at that magical date unless they have the bill of sale. More comfort i guess as Maura scared some of the community.

Not in Mass but?
You're telling me I could sell to someone from Mass, even though I lived elsewhere after my initial FFL approved purchase of said lowers?
Because even though it doesn't say Pistol or Rifle on the 4473. It does say firearm.

When asked how many guns do you have, respond:

- Do you mean the state or federal definition of gun?
- If the state do you mean the definition defined in the statute or the alternate definition claimed by the AG but not tested in court?

Not in Mass but?
You're telling me I could sell to someone from Mass, even though I lived elsewhere after my initial FFL approved purchase of said lowers?
Because even though it doesn't say Pistol or Rifle on the 4473. It does say firearm.
Assuming I understand your question - no.

To buy/sell a firearm outside your state of residence, you must use a FFL. The only thing a person can buy outside their state of residence is a rifle or shotgun. A lower is neither, so it can only be purchased in state of residence.

Two people, residing in the same state, can buy/sell a lower without any paperwork, provided the seller believes the buyer can legally possess it and the state doesn't require the use of a FFL. In MA this means transfer of a lower (which is not yet a firearm in the WRT the laws of the Commonwealth) is not subject to additional reporting to the state.

Federal still considers but who is right and wrong When you live in mass is Massachusetts wrong or federal 😭😭😭
Neither. They have different definitions. You comply with both. The Feds consider the lower a firearm, so its sale must comply with federal law. The Commonwealth doesn't until it can fire a shot. So you don't have to follow the additional laws that don't apply until it's a firearm.

Two people, residing in the same state, can buy/sell a lower without any paperwork, provided the seller believes the buyer can legally possess it and the state doesn't require the use of a FFL. In MA this means transfer of a lower (which is not yet a firearm in the WRT the laws of the Commonwealth) is not subject to additional reporting to the state.
The AG has declared that stripped lowers are firearms, but the FRB has not jumped onboard with that definition.

Assuming I understand your question - no.

To buy/sell a firearm outside your state of residence, you must use a FFL. The only thing a person can buy outside their state of residence is a rifle or shotgun. A lower is neither, so it can only be purchased in state of residence.

Neither. They have different definitions. You comply with both. The Feds consider the lower a firearm, so its sale must comply with federal law. The Commonwealth doesn't until it can fire a shot. So you don't have to follow the additional laws that don't apply until it's a firearm.
So I'd be in violation of Federal law but not state law.
(Sort of what I thought)
Too bad I had plans to get wealthy based on some of the asking prices I see on this board. 🤣

So I'd be in violation of Federal law but not state law.
(Sort of what I thought)
Too bad I had plans to get wealthy based on some of the asking prices I see on this board. 🤣
You'd be in violation of both state and federal laws unless you have a MA resident LTC

Can't we load a subroutine that automatically displays the search results for "AR" and "MA" anytime someone tries to post a question regarding this?
Not being a dick, but seriously this same question comes up every two weeks.
Or maybe when hit "post thread" or whatever the script automatically sends it to an AR question megathread.
I'm guilty myself of asking something that is searchable... but this has been asked so many times, you must get a thousand search results.

Back
Top Bottom