• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buying an AR lower

I WAS going to buy a lower this morning off gunbroker but I held off because the laws of this glorious state jammed me up. I hope it gets relisted because it was pretty sweet.

Question is, is any stripped lower legal in MA? Or does MA restrict certain brands or something like that.

A stripped lower is a stripped lower.

Some companies out there won't ship to MA at all, but almost all will. Has to go through an FFL.

That's the issue right there.....it is not that they are illegal in Mass, many will just not ship to Mass because of the AG and all the BS.......
As a lower IS the serialized portion of an AR, it MUST go through an FFL as stated

Any stripped AR-15 lower is perfectly legal to purchase/own in MA, restrictions only come into play as to how it is configured when fully built. (No new AW)

You are much better off just buying one locally, there are tons of them out there.

Good luck.

Look into getting an 80% lower and then finishing it. There are at least a handful of people on NES (spread through the states) that are set up to properly finish one. I've been hosting the 'build party' in Nashua for some months now (it's coming to a close). There are at least a few people that have attended and have since picked up milling machines of their own to process the lowers on. Using a mill, you're looking at about 3-4 hours of work (depending on the mill and such) to complete the lower. If you go with just a drill press, expect twice that (for time) and a lower grade finish.

Benefit of the 80% lower is it's not serialized. While that does mean it's forever yours (unless you put a serial number on it) that's not much of an issue for most of us. You can get either raw, or anodized, 80% lowers. If you go raw, you then either anodize, or figure out a hard finish for it. 80% lowers are typically lower cost than 100% lowers. At least the initial purchase is. Even if it comes out to the same at the end, you have a lower that's "off the books"...

I really don't think an 80% is the proper place to start for someone just getting into ARs. Yes, there are lots of benefits, but when you don't even know what the laws are about transferring a lower - this just seems like too much.

OP - a stripped lower isn't even a "gun" under MA law, but it is federally. Transfers from out of state need to go through a FFL in MA. Not all dealers in MA will do such transfers, but I suspect most will. You can also go into just about any shop worth a damn and find a stripped lower for sale.

I really don't think an 80% is the proper place to start for someone just getting into ARs. Yes, there are lots of benefits, but when you don't even know what the laws are about transferring a lower - this just seems like too much.

If he's looking to build up an AR, how do you know it's not a good option for him?? Worst part is removing the material from the fire control group pocket. If he has a buddy with a milling machine, it can be easily done (especially if it's bitter than the small HF mill).

I bought one complete AR15 back in January. I had picked up a pair of polymer lowers just before xmas (last year). I've since gotten 80% lowers (finished one so far). With a bit of knowledge (free) and patience (also free) you can produce a great looking/working lower. Plus you don't need to deal with any MA BS.

It's an option, but up to the OP to decide if it's right for him. If not, then look for shops (in MA) that you can get a 100% lower from. IMO, ordering lowers online can get more involved than it's worth.

If he's looking to build up an AR, how do you know it's not a good option for him?? Worst part is removing the material from the fire control group pocket. If he has a buddy with a milling machine, it can be easily done (especially if it's bitter than the small HF mill).

I bought one complete AR15 back in January. I had picked up a pair of polymer lowers just before xmas (last year). I've since gotten 80% lowers (finished one so far). With a bit of knowledge (free) and patience (also free) you can produce a great looking/working lower. Plus you don't need to deal with any MA BS.

It's an option, but up to the OP to decide if it's right for him. If not, then look for shops (in MA) that you can get a 100% lower from. IMO, ordering lowers online can get more involved than it's worth.

I don't know anyone with a mill or any sort of machining equipment. I feel like if I bought an 80%, I'd just f*** it up and waste my $$$$.

I just got into AR's myself. I found a guy selling stripped lowers from another state and had them shipped to Sportsmens Den in Quincy with no issues. Now I'm looking at picking up a 80% lower or two but I need to find someone with a mill.

As a lower IS the serialized portion of an AR, it MUST go through an FFL as stated

Unless it is a FTF transaction which requires nothing, no FFL, no FA-10, just a straight bill of sale. Even a straight bill of sale is not required, but the smart thing to do. MA does not consider it a firearm.

Unless it is a FTF transaction which requires nothing, no FFL, no FA-10, just a straight bill of sale. Even a straight bill of sale is not required, but the smart thing to do. MA does not consider it a firearm.

Only if that FTF transaction happened in the same state. 2 NH residents, or 2 MA residents. Otherwise, you need the FFL.

Duh, When did NH even enter into the conversation?

It didn't. I was just saying FTF is only good if it's between people of the same state.

I can't come into MA and buy a lower from you. It would need to be transferred. That's all I was saying. Calm down.

I WAS going to buy a lower this morning off gunbroker but I held off because the laws of this glorious state jammed me up. I hope it gets relisted because it was pretty sweet.

Question is, is any stripped lower legal in MA? Or does MA restrict certain brands or something like that.

It sounds like you jammed yourself up by not knowing that there are no prohibitions on stripped lowers in MA.

Just buy one and stop worrying.

What matters is how you build it. It must be built in compliance with MA AWB. But other than that, lowers are no problem.

With respect to 80% lowers, they are pointless unless you want the satisfaction of knowing that you built it.

If you want a lower without MA knowing about it, just go to NH and buy a lower from a dealer. Perfectly legal, and you don't have to register it in MA until you actually make it into a functional firearm. Which you'd also have to do with an 80% lower if you wanted to stay legal. Buying a lower in NH would require the dealer to submit an ATF4473, which means the feds would know about it. But the feds are the least of your worries in MA.

Also, if you didn't care about being legal, you could go to NH and buy a lower from someone face to face. I'm certainly not advocating this. I'm just anticipating a response that says that you should buy an 80% lower and then build a gun with it that "nobody will know about". You can achieve the same thing by buying from a gun friendly state from a private individual. Both result in an illegal gun. But one doesn't require you to machine or drill anything.

So in summary 80% lower = pointless.

It sounds like you jammed yourself up by not knowing that there are no prohibitions on stripped lowers in MA.

Just buy one and stop worrying.

What matters is how you build it. It must be built in compliance with MA AWB. But other than that, lowers are no problem.

With respect to 80% lowers, they are pointless unless you want the satisfaction of knowing that you built it.

If you want a lower without MA knowing about it, just go to NH and buy a lower from a dealer. Perfectly legal, and you don't have to register it in MA until you actually make it into a functional firearm. Which you'd also have to do with an 80% lower if you wanted to stay legal. Buying a lower in NH would require the dealer to submit an ATF4473, which means the feds would know about it. But the feds are the least of your worries in MA.

Also, if you didn't care about being legal, you could go to NH and buy a lower from someone face to face. I'm certainly not advocating this. I'm just anticipating a response that says that you should buy an 80% lower and then build a gun with it that "nobody will know about". You can achieve the same thing by buying from a gun friendly state from a private individual. Both result in an illegal gun. But one doesn't require you to machine or drill anything.

So in summary 80% lower = pointless.

Fair point

Stripped lower receivers are, according to the ATF, "other" firearms (unless they have been previously built into a rifle or a pistol) and are therefore ineligible to be transferred directly to a non-resident. Not all shops follow this, however.

Stripped lower receivers are, according to the ATF, "other" firearms (unless they have been previously built into a rifle or a pistol) and are therefore ineligible to be transferred directly to a non-resident. Not all shops follow this, however.

So a used lower could be considered to be a rifle by the ATF and would not have to be registered in MA until it was built because regardless of what the feds think of it, if its not capable of firing, it doesn't need a FA10 in MA.

You do raise a good point however. I had it in my head that anything but a handgun could be purchased out of state. But you are saying that thats not the case. It must be a long gun. (rifle or shotgun). I am not able to find the law or reg, so I can't dispute that.

Do you have a citation?

Don

So a used lower could be considered to be a rifle by the ATF and would not have to be registered in MA until it was built because regardless of what the feds think of it, if its not capable of firing, it doesn't need a FA10 in MA.

You do raise a good point however. I had it in my head that anything but a handgun could be purchased out of state. But you are saying that thats not the case. It must be a long gun. (rifle or shotgun). I am not able to find the law or reg, so I can't dispute that.

Do you have a citation?

Don

ATF Letter Clarifies Rules on Firearm Receiver Transfers « Daily Bulletin

http://www.atf.gov/files/press/releases/2009/07/070709-openletter-ffl-gca.pdf

Back
Top Bottom