Buying Ammo

What does the "Grains" refer to when buying ammo? The .45 has "235 grains"? (I think it is 235).

The 9mm has a lower grain "count"? 185

Do I care about grains? For home protection I would think I want the highest I can get?

Just curious as I have no idea. I rely on the guy behind the counter to pick the one that is best.

Thanks!!

A grain is a unit of weight measure.
More grains = more weight.
Less weight = higher velocity.
More weight = more stopping power.

The grain is the weight of the bullet. Lower grain will travel faster when shot but have less weight pressure (knock down power) a higher grain will not travel as fast but is has more weight pressure.

There is way too many options to give you the best...... Read here or try Google.

Is the grain weight the amount of gun powder?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh - Great information. I just assumed it was the amount of gun powder. Appreciate it and I will google! Thanks!!

The grains refer to the weight of the bullet. For example 9mm comes in 115gr, 124gr, and 147gr with 115gr being the lightest. The recoil is supposed to feel snappier with a lower grain bullet while a higher grain bullet is supposed feel more like a push.

A grain is a unit of weight approximately the weight of 1 grain of wheat. it has been standardized as 1 / 7,000 of a lbs.

The grain listed on the box you're describing is the weight of the bullet (projectile) including its jacket (if any) 230 grains = 0.525oz

The powder charge is also normally specified in grains, but wont be listed on the box.

Hickok has a good video on this subject:

[video=youtube_share;DKocvSrp5XU]http://youtu.be/DKocvSrp5XU[/video]

I'm proud of you guys. He asked a total n00b question and instead of flaming him, you each answered the question in a non-condescending way. Well done boys and girls!

Welcome to the show bokeldol

Thanks - Everyone has been great. I realize that I am probably asking "stupid" questions, and everyone was supportive. Onne of the reasons I love owning a gun and belonging to a club is that everyone (well 99%) will stop what they are doing and help!!

no stupid questions,,,,,,you mat get some really stupid answers sometimes though[wink].......There's tons of info....
I once heard a store clerk tell customer that the 230gr 45 acp cartridges he was buying "gr means the calculation of energy for that bullet" I blurted out where the F do you get that BS..... although the bullet weight is a factor of the potential energy of the projectile thats not what it means.

When you see 45acp 230gr FMJ 230gr is the weight HC45 above is fun to watch.

Thanks - Everyone has been great. I realize that I am probably asking "stupid" questions, and everyone was supportive. Onne of the reasons I love owning a gun and belonging to a club is that everyone (well 99%) will stop what they are doing and help!!

The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask. Better to speak up and ask the way then bumble around blindly in the darkness.

No one was born knowing it all, everyone had to learn sometime. Asking questions is a great way to learn.

I worked 10 years providing technical design support for engineers designing electrical equipment. I answered dozens of questions from design engineers, field techs and sales reps every day. I averaged over 1,000 support requests per year. In all of those questions, I was only ever asked 1 question I considered "stupid", and that one took me six tries to write an answer because I had to figure out how to answer the question without sounding condesending.

Welcome to the forum. Stupid questions don't exist when asked in a serious manner like you did. It's the goofballs and know-it-alls that make NES look bad and all these posts are correct and informative. The grain is the weight of the bullet, not the number of grains as some people think.

To the OP:

Part of the problem is that many of the knowedgable experts on guns, aren't.

Many that work in sporting goods stores, selling guns, are functionally clueless; not becasue they're stupid, but because the boss said, "You're over in that department, today."

Many that own guns are not much better...unfortunately, knowledge of one facet does not always translate to others.

I consider myself fairly well informed about Trap and shotguns; I can give pertinent advice about the basics of rifle and handgun safety and shooting; I have a fairly good layman's grasp of Mass gun laws (though the IANAL discalimer is not alien to me). I'd not give advice about the subtleties of bullseye pistol, or long-range rifle.

My point? Read more than one book; ask more than one person; use more than one source. A lot of terms in the shooting world have different meanings, depending on context. And when, in a couple of years, you're the "resident expert" on gun stuff at your work.....remember that you don't know it all (nobody does!) and that a wrong answer is worse than no answer.

There's a wealth of info here...don't be afraid to ask....and since you're new, many of the questions that you'll pose are ones that have been asked and answered before....you may get an [rolleyes] or "facepalm" jpeg, but don't take it seriously. Most people here are pretty cool.

Welcome.

Back
Top Bottom