buying ammo in fla and driving it back home.

I love my local Wally for buying ammo. BUT I go there atleast four times a week and can't get bulk .22 ammo.

Can I have my father buy ammo for me in fla and when I go visit him, in a few months, drive it back up with me?

Anyone here with actual experience please advise.

No reason why you can't as long as you have a FID or LTC. Just abide by FOPA while transporting the ammo and you should be fine.

Does NOT comply with FOPA!

Read and abide by it or risk the consequences.

Not trolling here, let me know what I missed

" during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Put all ammo in a tool box (buy cheap one at ChinaMart, Lowe's or Home Depot) and put a padlock thru the hasp. Put that in the trunk and obey all traffic laws and you should be fine with FOPA and Southern States laws (some require ammo locked up, FOPA doesn't if in the trunk, but best to be extra prudent).

Why can't you buy your own ammo while you are in Florida? I just got back from Florida and didn't see any 22lr in the few shops I stopped at or the 2 wallyworlds I was dragged kicking and screaming into.

I've considered this. I wouldn't expect to just show up in FL and see full shelves, but the relatives could buy a little here and there when available, and they go to wally-world anyway. They could hold it for pickup in few months on a planned trip.

Actually, I took my FIL (who lives in FL, but was up north visiting) to the range last summer and spent some time with Ruger 22/45. I later learned that he sent the MIL to buy me some 22LR for x-mas. Supposedly she was laughed out of walmart by the sales guys for just expecting 22lr to be on the shelves. Then I thought about for a little more and asked: So you planned to just drive from FL to MA with a couple boxes of ammo on the back seat, through DC, NJ, NY? That was a fun conversation....

be careful when you go threw NJ and Ny, do not stop
This is the part that always makes me nervous. I go to PA every year, and while I'm there I inevitably wind up buying some ammo at Cabelas. I always drive like Ms. Daisy through NY on my way home. I just love that I could go to jail and be a felon simply because I'm bringing ammo home from the store. :-/

Back
Top Bottom