• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buying ammo in CT.. Non-Resident

I would expect that a MA LTC would be totally irrelevant.

I'm not sure that ANY state other than MA requires a permit to purchase ammo at all.

Just walk in, buy what you want and pay for it.

Don't even mention that you are from MA!!

NY requires a valid license for pistol ammo. I recently bought 45 acp ammo there on a trip to visit family and proof of a license was required. The MA LTC worked fine, though.

disgressionary

Some gun businesses will only sell pistol ammo to a CT CCW holder but there is NO CT law about buying ammo. Of course any out of state permit means nothing in CT. as far as buying any gun.
Paul

NY requires a valid license for pistol ammo. I recently bought 45 acp ammo there on a trip to visit family and proof of a license was required. The MA LTC worked fine, though.

What happens if you live in a state where you do not need a license to own a handgun? Gotta bring all your ammo with you?

I'm not sure that ANY state other than MA requires a permit to purchase ammo at all.
Illinois does. Need to show a Firearms Owners Identification Card (FOID) to buy it.

At least IL law allows out of staters to buy ammo there without showing any license, since they understand that no other neighboring state has such a fascist requirement. Just show out of state DL as proof of age.

CT.law states that you must be 18 or older to purchase rifle or shotgun ammo and 21 or older to purchase handgun ammo and you are required if asked to provide proper photo id however there is nothing that says you must be a CT. resident so you should be fine w/ a driver's license even from Mass.I wouldn't show them your Mass. permit as they will consider it irrelevant.

Im curious if this is still the case or not. Cabelas has some good deals going on Ammo right now. I think I saw Federal 223 ammo 300 rounds for 99 with a Cabelas dry box to boot.

You Mass guys need to just relax. You're like a beaten dog who shakes every time someone walks near him.

There is no "suitability" in CT. You're just proving your age.

So if you look well over the legal age then you won't even be asked for ID.
Its more like buying beer than buying a gun.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've bought from Cabela's in E Hartford many times... they rarely even ask for ID.

One thing to note, though, if you're going to get cheap ammo: Do NOT assume the bulk stuff is the best price. For instance, right now in 9mm, you can get bulk (600rd) WWB or Herter's select, and it's actually MORE expensive than just buying 12 boxes of S&B.
Always do the math. [smile]

Unfortunately some stores do require you to have a CT CCW License to purchase handgun ammo. Hoffman's in Newington is one of those places. I showed Hoffman's to my friend who had just moved to Vernon for his job and of course we wanted to fire off a couple rounds so we rented a Glock 17 but he had to buy the ammo because I don't have a CT CCW and he had his police badge.

I've purchased ammo everywhere in CT (except Hoffman's) and have never been asked for ID of any kind. Hoffman's may just be an exception to the rule after having the issues they've had. Ya know, I've been in that store recently and purchased a holster. I still don't get a 'warm fuzzy" feeling when I'm in there as opposed to NGX or other shops. Kind of sterile to me, still.

Rome

Unfortunately some stores do require you to have a CT CCW License to purchase handgun ammo. Hoffman's in Newington is one of those places. I showed Hoffman's to my friend who had just moved to Vernon for his job and of course we wanted to fire off a couple rounds so we rented a Glock 17 but he had to buy the ammo because I don't have a CT CCW and he had his police badge.

You were asked for ID at Hoffmans because you were using the range and/or renting a gun.

Cash and carry for ammo, no permit required.

Also, its not a CCW in CT. There is no legal requirement to conceal and the word concealed is not in any statute and does not appear on the permit. Its a permit to carry pistols and revolvers, aka pistol permit.

Remember, anyone can buy ammo in CT.

You also don't need a permit to own a handgun. So there are tens of thousands of legal handgun owners in CT with no carry permit.

Don

Last edited:
You were asked because you were using the range and/or renting a gun.

Cash and carry, no permit required.

Remember, anyone can buy ammo in CT.

Well, sometime >20 years ago I stopped into a boat/gun shop in Stonington, CT (on US-1) and was looking around. A guy comes out from the back of the store and asks if he can help me and I just told him that "I am from MA and just looking" . . . his response was, "well, I can't sell you anything in that case" and he went back out to the rear of the store. AFAIK, I could have purchased ammo, accessories, etc. but I guess not in his store. I just left and never returned during any subsequent trips to that area.

Obviously any private business owner can choose to do whatever they want.

I've found that many of the small shops are ignorant of some laws. (For example, they will not receive a gun sent to them by a non-ffl from out of state)

Hoffmans knows the law and will sell to anyone they can lawfully sell.

Several of their employees are politically active in CT.

Don

Only firearms as defined by the ATF are regulated In CT.

Ammo is unregulated, other than ".50 Caliber Armor Piercing". Of course there are federal age requirements for buying ammo, but that has nothing to do with CT.
Firearm parts are unregulated. This means everything other than the one serialized part on a firearm that is defined as the firearm by the ATF.
Ammo components are unregulated

Magazines of any capacity are unregulated.

I'm not sure about pepper spray other than I know it is sold over the counter with no requirement for any kind of permit.

Last edited:
It's amazing the paranoia that flows out of Mass gun owners

Do I need a license to look at guns if I go to state X?

HELL NO

It's amazing the paranoia that flows out of Mass gun owners

Do I need a license to look at guns if I go to state X?

HELL NO

When in doubt if it is illegal or restricted in MA, it is commonplace in almost every other state

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom