• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buying Ammo And Guns During Grace Period

I like most am waiting for my renewal to come in,
Has anyone ever had a problem buying guns or ammo
with an 'Expired" card during the 90 day grace period.

As for the "grace period", the store I work at does not allow any gun sales during that period, and I take the period as an extension to carry concealed not for purchases, given by your PD.

I like most am waiting for my renewal to come in,
Has anyone ever had a problem buying guns or ammo
with an 'Expired" card during the 90 day grace period.

I don't think you'll be allowed to buy guns or ammo on an expired license, even with the grace period. I would suggest if you see a gun you like, ask the dealer if he would be willing to put it on layaway for you til' you get the new one.

As for the "grace period", the store I work at does not allow any gun sales during that period, and I take the period as an extension to carry concealed not for purchases, given by your PD.

The extension is granted by MGL, not the PD.

From MGL, ch140,sec 131, i

"(i) A license to carry or possess firearms shall be valid, unless revoked or suspended, for a period of not more than 6 years from the date of issue and shall expire on the anniversary of the licensee’s date of birth occurring not less than 5 years but not more than 6 years from the date of issue, except that if the licensee applied for renewal before the license expired, the license shall remain valid for a period of 90 days beyond the stated expiration date on the license, unless the application for renewal is denied."

It doesn't say you can't purchase......it says the license is still valid under the above condition......so, if you meet the above condition, your license is still valid and there should be no restrictions on a purchase within that ninety day window.

People making up their own rules is what makes this state such a mess in the first place. All they have to do is read the law.

It doesn't say you can't purchase......it says the license is still valid under the above condition......so, if you meet the above condition, your license is still valid and there should be no restrictions on a purchase within that ninety day window.

People making up their own rules is what makes this state such a mess in the first place. All they have to do is read the law.

Well, let's suppose that I run a gun shop, and Joe Blow walks in with an expired license and want's to buy a gun or a case of ammo. How exactly would I know that he's applied for a renewal and not been rejected? [que the crickets] "But your honor, he said that he'd applied and was waiting to hear from the local PD. How was I to know that he never bothered to apply, because he's been on the run ever since that drug sale to what turned out to be an undercover officer went seriously bad? The law says that it's good for another 90 days."

Ken

The receipt is printed right from the instant check system (MIRCS I think), and shows the new license number right on it. It also says that the renewal
is now "pending" (in others words the state has to do the same thing the local PD just did but take weeks instead of minutes to do it.)

So i was thinking that the combination of the old LTC along with the receipt that shops would sell ammo to me, I dont have any guns in mind right now just ammo.

Should? Yes. Do you? Hell, no. I suppose you could try to use the cancelled check as proof, but I don't think that any store would take it.

I have received a receipt for every license application I have ever submitted(with the exception of federal form 4s where my cancelled check is my receipt)...., firearms licenses, marriage license, drivers license, even dog licenses all were processed and a receipt given for payment tendered.

Well, let's suppose that I run a gun shop, and Joe Blow walks in with an expired license and want's to buy a gun or a case of ammo. How exactly would I know that he's applied for a renewal and not been rejected? [que the crickets] "But your honor, he said that he'd applied and was waiting to hear from the local PD. How was I to know that he never bothered to apply, because he's been on the run ever since that drug sale to what turned out to be an undercover officer went seriously bad? The law says that it's good for another 90 days."

Ken

Pretty much what I was going to say.

I have turned down several people wanting to purchase ammo because their permit was expired. They informed me that they had already renewed. When I asked them to show me proof, they couldn't.

I apologized and said, "While this is only a part time job for fun, I still don't want to risk losing it...I'm really sorry, but if you can give me something showing that you've renewed, I'll be happy to help."

They never do come back.

I didn't get a receipt either when applied or renewed... And like I said in a prior thread. They didn't cash my check for three or so weeks.

I just bypassed the issue by calling up and setting up my renewal interview two months before my license was to expire.

Ken

Their receipt for the payment of renewal shows that application has been made and it validates the current license for 90 days.

As a gunshop proprieter, you can refuse to sell to anyone for any reason but making up fantastic stories to justifiy your decision ?

Lets suppose as a gunshop owner, a guy with a currently in date valid license walks in and wants to buy a gun and a case of ammo. How do you know he didn't just come from the scene of murdering his whole family or someone elses? {crickets}.....You don't....and its not your duty or responsibility to know. Your responsibility is to follow the current laws to the best of your ability and conduct business for profit as an FFL.....not to be a crystal ball reader or or psychic.

Like I said, People making up their own rules is what makes this state such a mess in the first place.

Well i guess it is just like the Commies to punish us b/c they are slow, when the Massachusetts RMV does a better job thats a sure sign of a problem! Especially when cars kill more of us then guns and ammo do!

As I stated in another thread within the past 2 days . . .

Have held a LTC for 31 years (and my Wife has had one ~28 years) and only once did I get any sort of receipt . . . and only because I insisted and was being a royal PITA to that chief (prior one). It is NOT our PD's policy to give out any sort of receipts. Also like others, some of my checks were held a month or more before being deposited, so that isn't proof of anything.

Now under MIRCS (my last renewal was before MIRCS was operational here), perhaps some folks are getting a receipt. I won't know until my Wife is up for her next renewal a few years from now.

Why are you people not demanding a copy of the MIRCS submission? The PD is supposed to print it out and give it to you.

Do you file tax returns and not keep a copy? [rolleyes]

Not really, no. However, I was unaware that the PD was supposed to give me a printout. Now that you have descended from Mount Sinai and proclaimed that it is so, I will remember it in 5.5 years. I hope.

Now under MIRCS (my last renewal was before MIRCS was operational here), perhaps some folks are getting a receipt. I won't know until my Wife is up for her next renewal a few years from now.

I didn't get anything... I have the new license. He just said to me, "If it should expire before you get your new permit. You're covered because you renewed before it expired." And sent me on my way.

I'll look in my files, but I'm pretty sure he didn't slip anything into my folder showing that I renewed.

Why are you people not demanding a copy of the MIRCS submission? The PD is supposed to print it out and give it to you.

Do you file tax returns and not keep a copy? [rolleyes]

Yes, I keep a copy, and I kept a copy of my renewal...well everything that I submitted. But I don't remember his getting any paperwork when it was completed. I don't even remember him printing anything when it was done.

I pretty much just walked in, handed him my paperwork, he took my check, my picture, and then my fingerprint and said I could leave.

Again, I wasn't that concerned as I went in several months before it was to expire so I wouldn't have to deal with the grace period.

Last edited:
It has been over EIGHT YEARS since the enactment of Chapter 180. The licensing horror stories have been collected and published on this forum and every other firearms forum I've been to, as well as in The Outdoor Message virtually every month.

Anyone who still relies on the police for competent licensing advice and fair treatment after all that documentation of abuse has been in a coma for the last decade or has a near-terminal case of recto-cranial inversion.

Okay then...

A simple question, WRT expiring licenses:

I know that a lot depends on the town, but what's a good rule of thumb for when to renew?

My B-day's in April and my license expires this year (good thing, too, because it's one of the old style ones and takes up valuable wallet real estate...) [smile]

Should I apply this month? Next month? Wait until April 1st?

Just curious. I was trying to decide between Feb. 1 and Mar. 1 as a general date. When I renewed in 2003 I don't remember it taking a terrifically long time to get the new license...

I advise at least two months prior to your birthday. I used to recommend three, but the backlog seems to have been gotten under control.

I would probably opt for 3 months before, especially if they need to make appointments during limited times before they will process your application.

My last renewal was in 2005, but I called in October, got a November appointment, received my LTC in December (my birthday is in February). Better to be real early than miss the dates!

That's one where I would ask the local PD, since essentially all of the variation between different towns and the major portions of those long delays are directly the results of the way the town processes license applications and the priority they give to treating their locals decently. (Of course, they will never admit this, blaming all delays instead on MSP or CHSB or the phase of the moon or ...) Westford is still a de facto "shall issue" town, but due to some issues in the department applications and renewals can take several months. [sad]

Ken

I agree with Ken - call the licensing officer and ask them, on average, how long are the licenses taking. If he/she says 4 weeks, then go in 6 weeks before, just to be sure. I know most of our students are getting their licenses (1st time'ers) in 4 weeks or less. Amazing actually. But, I'm reading in here that different towns and cities are taking longer than that. So, call them and ask.

Getting back to the original question, I cannot imagine any 01 FFL holder, who depends on that license for his living, ever selling ammo or guns to someone with an expired license in hand. One mistake and his income ceases. He would have to be an idiot to take that chance. The FFL holder has absolutely no way of knowing how the renewal will end up. It would be extremely poor decision making to sell under those circumstances.

When I renewed earlier this year, I carried my renewal application (copy) with me in the car.

Warren-had my renewal in about 3 weeks. Took about the same for my initial. Sent a letter of appreciation too.

Getting back to the original question, I cannot imagine any 01 FFL holder, who depends on that license for his living, ever selling ammo or guns to someone with an expired license in hand. One mistake and his income ceases. He would have to be an idiot to take that chance. The FFL holder has absolutely no way of knowing how the renewal will end up. It would be extremely poor decision making to sell under those circumstances.

No he wouldn't have to be an idiot, the law is clear. If the person has reapplied and has the receipt for his application, the license he holds is still valid. What part of that do you not understand?

If nobody is going to accept the law as its written, then all the effort and bullshit that GOAL and others put into getting it passed was all for nothing and it might just as well be repealed for the useless waist of taxpayer money that it is.
If a sale is made with the proper paperwork shown, an expired license within the grace period and a receipt of reapplication or a copy of the reapplication then there is notheing wrong and no FFL is going to be under any burden. Jesus Christ....some people are their own worst enemies when it comes to making things difficult.

Are you next going to say that if you are caught carrying your gun on an expired license (with a receipt of reapplication) within the grace period that you are carrying illegally? Get a grip....thats what the grace period was enacted for.

Should? Yes. Do you? Hell, no. I suppose you could try to use the cancelled check as proof, but I don't think that any store would take it.

I always have. Every time I renew I get a receipt from the PD and I'm told to keep it with my LTC in case it expires before the new license comes in.

Gary

Back
Top Bottom