Buying a used toolbox... advice?

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
So I've been cruising around looking at used toolboxes. I need something freestanding, preferably with wheels and drawers. I was thinking of buying a used snap-on toolbox on ebay.

Any advice?

Fixxah

NES Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I have a Craftsman on wheels with bearings on drawer slides. Traded the seats from an old Bronco for it. The name means nothing, it is the storage space that counts.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're just looking for something to keep in your house, then all you will need is a craftsman box. My original craftsman boxes lasted me 5 years working in the automotive fiels. They should last forever in your garage. You don't NEED to spend the money on a snap on box. I did and it worked well, but I had to give it back when I got laid off. Not worth the money in my opinion.

Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Agree with above. You do not need a snap on or mac toolbox if you are just using these at home and have under 10k in tools. A Crafstman with ball bearing slides and the latcheing drawers is around $600 for a decent set that will hold a ton of tools. Spend the 1k plus saved on good tools and you are better served.

If you are a pro and have to move the box now and then plus have a huge amount of money in tools in an area other people have access to by all means get a commercial box, otherwise save the cash.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Snap On box that I paid dearly for and it's nice but you can get a pretty decent stainless steel unit at BJ's or Lowes for short money, I would have no problem doing that.

centermass181

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
What are you putting in it? 1" drive impact sockets or your dremel kits?

Husky and craftsman make good solid ball bearing boxes, their just more money than your regular box at sears or hd.

IMHO, A Snappy or Mac box is for a mechanic, the customer wants to see a professional box.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I've been cruising around looking at used toolboxes. I need something freestanding, preferably with wheels and drawers. I was thinking of buying a used Snap-On toolbox on eBay.

Any advice?
Skip eBay, and search on Craigslist. If you are looking for a particular Snap-On set up, let me know. I've done a ton of searches for myself and friends, always get awesome deals. I can tell you what's a good deal and not. Also, don't limit your search to a small local area..Sometimes a 4 hour drive can mean getting the best deal.

When it comes to quality..There is no comparison. I actually have both Craftsman ball bearing and a Snap-On tool box in my garage and when I have to open up the Craftsman I think to myself "man this is so cheap and flimsy". I have purchased used Snap-On toolboxes in excellent shape for 1/5 of their original "price"...Makes them about the best value out there.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, A Snappy or Mac box is for a mechanic, the customer wants to see a professional box.
Lol The customer will almost never see the tool box, and the box itself don't make a difference. Most customers wouldnt know the difference between a snap-on, Mac, Matco, Crafstman, husky, or no name.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have snap on boxes, worth the money to me anyways. I think if you buy a snap on box it will last you a lifetime.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I have a Blue-Point 40" roller, I love it. I payed $5500 for it though. $3500 for the bottom and $2000 for the top.

Like others said, if this is an at home box Craftsman will do. Just make sure you get roller bearing drawers.

Tommy Gun

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
123   0   1
I have a ton of roller bearing heavy duty slides, I wonder if I can build my own wooden toolbox? I have an old Gerstner from my machinist days.

Tommy

Another_David

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
go with the Craftsman mid-priced series--whatever they call it these days--they have roller bearing. Wait until the set you want is on sale and get at least a top and bottom. I have one at home and have also purchased them for business. Then get some cork sheets from www.mcmaster.com and line the draws. You'll be living like a king.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I have a couple Snap-On, a mac, and one craftsman box.

The craftsman boxes are fine so long as you don't put a bunch of weight in the drawers. They tend to bow out if you weigh them down.

What size box are you looking for?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was a snap-on dealer for 7 years but that was years ago. I used to sell used boxes for 1/2 the original price. Even at that is was hard to justify the snap-on prices for someone to use once in a while home use. Maybe some things used all the time like screwdrivers or a socket set but not for the uncommon stuff that doesn't get used much.

Executive

NES Member
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Sears makes a "professional" line of toolboxes that is probably 95% as good as Snap-On at maybe 75% or less of the cost. Still an awful lot of money.

The Lowe's house brand "Kobalt" stainless boxes are very good for the money and will stand up to anything the typical home mechanic will throw at them.

Chris

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have a Craftsman on wheels with bearings on drawer slides. Traded the seats from an old Bronco for it. The name means nothing, it is the storage space that counts.
The name means quality draws that move well and will take a crap ton of weight. If you want to spend the money then by all means go Snap-on Mac or Bluepoint. I know the number of an awesome snap-on guy. If you want I can check with him for used boxes. Cheap boxes are just that.

Top Bottom