Buying a rifle from NH and bringing into mass

what do you have to do if you buy a gun from another state. In this case a regular rifle with no issues?? Is it the same for private sale and gun store sale?? [thinking]

You can only buy out of state from an FFL (no private sales). You can only buy rifles you could legally own in MA (AWB etc apply). Fill out and send an FA-10 marked "registration" within 7 days of return to MA.

Hypothetically speaking, what happens if you forget to "register" it in MA?

Probably nothing. Keep in mind that the FA-10 is required when you bring the gun into the state.. So if I bought a shotgun in NH and left it in my place in NH I would never have to fill out an FA-10.

You would be in violation if you did bring it in, but I doubt anyone would ever notice.

You can only buy out of state from an FFL (no private sales). You can only buy rifles you could legally own in MA (AWB etc apply). Fill out and send an FA-10 marked "registration" within 7 days of return to MA.

One slight addition. You can do buy via private sale but it has to be transferred via an FFL.

Hypothetically speaking, what happens if you forget to "register" it in MA?

Hypothetically? "the first offense be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $1000 and for any subsequent offense by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than ten years."

The likelihood of getting busted on a non-filed FA-10 is probably damn small though. As Mike was saying to us the other day, the FRB records are so screwed up and missing so much information, that it would be darn hard for anybody to try and prove you didn't actually file an FA-10. The record not being in the database is certainly not proof of anything.

Last edited:
I assume out of state (outside of MA) hangun sales provided they are on the list need to be transferred through an FFL in MA?

More on this, if I want to buy a pre-1994AWB AR from an FFL in CT, I can just bring it home to MA and fill out an FA-10 in 7 days? If that person was not an FFL, we can do the transfer at a CT FFL and then I do the same procedure when I get home to MA?

Back
Top Bottom