• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buying a NEW non-MA compliant handgun from a FFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
A local dealer is selling a new in the box handgun that is NOT MA compliant (no, I'm not saying who or what). I have wanted this gun forever and wanted to know if there are any legal issues that would prevent me from buying / owning said firearm.

I've searched around and everything I found was regarding FTF transfers and the fact that dealer are not SUPPOSED to be selling new non-approved handguns...

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: ONE of said guns is on the Eeops list (sort of) It is a variant of a model that is...this one has an accessory rail. The other is NOT on the list at all.

Last edited:
if they will sell it to you, its their problem, not yours.

....i am willing to bet they are selling it close to 200% of free state price though

if the AG busts the dealer, can he take the gun as evidence - or something like that?

That would be an interesting one, but probably not. They would have you come testify probably, but you are legally entitled to own it.

I believe you're looking for C. 274 § 7 (Conspiracy to commit a crime).

actually, its not really a law, its a legal theory or something like that.
both people are charged with the same crime. (can you tell how educated I am in law?)

Was this model available prior to 1998? Just because the gun is new in the box doesn't mean it wasn't owned by an individual in Massachusetts prior to 1998.

actually, its not really a law, its a legal theory or something like that.
both people are charged with the same crime. (can you tell how educated I am in law?)

Oh, ok, I think I know what you're talking about... um, damn, I forget the term for it. Joint liability for criminal acts or some such. Maybe one of the lawyers here can fill us in.

Was this model available prior to 1998? Just because the gun is new in the box doesn't mean it wasn't owned by an individual in Massachusetts prior to 1998.

No it was not available before 1998.

It is certainly not preowned - I know how that routine goes...

So I'm going to consider the purchase and if I go through with it, never speak of it again.

So I'm going to consider the purchase and if I go through with it, never speak of it again.

let me just ask this, is it being sold for well over msrp?

if so, its something i have seen before. Testing the list is very risky, but testing the AG Consumer protection is somewhat noble, up until said dealer prices the firearm at twice msrp.

Speak of what? [wink]

let me just ask this, is it being sold for well over msrp?

if so, its something i have seen before. Testing the list is very risky, but testing the AG Consumer protection is somewhat noble, up until said dealer prices the firearm at twice msrp.

No -it's well under MSRP. It's what you would expect to pay in a free state.

Is it possible that the gun was previously purchased but never fired, making it a "used" gun that is still NIB? The fact that the price is reasonable points to this.

A question: dealers in MA are not supposed to sell guns that are not MA-compliant. What about transfers? Can an out-of-state dealer ship a non-compliant gun to an FFL holder in MA, who in turn would merely transfer it to an MA resident?

A question: dealers in MA are not supposed to sell guns that are not MA-compliant. What about transfers? Can an out-of-state dealer ship a non-compliant gun to an FFL holder in MA, who in turn would merely transfer it to an MA resident?

Sell or transfer, same difference. They aren't supposed to do it.

I am often amazed at the things some folks think it is OK to talk about on an open forum. We all clearly know this would be contrary to the AG's Regs. Even though it seems that the buyer would not get in trouble, why bring attention to the issue. If you know of an FFL who will make such a transfer, good for you. Don't tell the world. In fact, don't tell anyone.

I am often amazed at the things some folks think it is OK to talk about on an open forum. We all clearly know this would be contrary to the AG's Regs. Even though it seems that the buyer would not get in trouble, why bring attention to the issue. If you know of an FFL who will make such a transfer, good for you. Don't tell the world. In fact, don't tell anyone.

Have you checked out MySpace or Facebook recently??? [smile]

No! Really! I guess I am so used to feeling like there are lots of folks that would just love to make trouble for us that I am paranoid. Oh wait! They do want to make trouble for us, don't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom