• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buying a gun in Mass

Hi everyone,

I recently separated from the military so I spent most of the past 4 years in North Carolina. I'm back in Massachusetts and I'm not completely sure what's banned and what's not. I know ar15s are currently banned, but would I be able to purchase a ruger 10/22 or something like that?

AR's aren't banned, they just have to be in-state by. . . . you're better off searching threads here. LOL

10/22's are not banned. Just AR's and AK's mostly.

Thx for your service. Don't bring your NC AR into MA.

If buying from a dealer, you can have anything they'll sell you (within the confines of your license).

If buying from a private citizen, you can have anything they'll sell you (within the confines of your license).

WRT the AWB, it is generally accepted, at present, that all 22LRs are good to go. That said, "The AGO reserves the right to alter or amend this guidance."

Beyond that, your best bet is to spend some time searching and reading threads on here. There's a lot of information, and it's been rehashed countless times.

Hi everyone,

I recently separated from the military so I spent most of the past 4 years in North Carolina. I'm back in Massachusetts and I'm not completely sure what's banned and what's not. I know ar15s are currently banned, but would I be able to purchase a ruger 10/22 or something like that?

Short answer: Yes you can buy a 10/22 in MA.

Long Answer: Check what is listed in the MA assault weapons ban, then anything that is considered a copy or duplicate is what is "banned" on top of items directly called out. Also, anything previous to 1994 is allowed due to preceding the ban so for sufficient cash you can have an AR15 once you find someone looking to get rid of theirs.

What are you interested in? That would drive what falls both into the available and relevant overlap.

If you are not yet licensed in MA, visit your local PD for an application. You must take a MA approved safety course first, before anything. After that you can purchase any gun on the "approved" list. Nowhere near the selection you had in NC, but you can outfit yourself very adequately, and then some.

Do some reading here, and ask questions. (and you may legally own an AR, if you can find one that was registered in state before 7/20/16)

Some reading here: Massachusetts Laws Don't worry. Few of us understand all the laws. Blame the Legislature for the vagueness.

Last edited:
Believe me if I could have found a better job in the south I would have stayed. Just took the course for the LTC this past weekend and I'm going to go to the police station today to pick up an application. I'll scroll through the site and talk to local firearms dealers to get an idea of what is/isn't allowed. I'm not looking for anything too flashy, just a basic 9mm for concealed carry and a semi-auto rifle for target shooting. Also, pretty disappointed that ARs can't have a grenade launcher on them here.

Welcome to MA. You will be planning your escape soon.

Until then, be sure to join GOAL and Comm2A. They are doing their best to stem the tide of moar meaningless gun laws that only affect the law-abiding and embolden the criminals!

Believe me if I could have found a better job in the south I would have stayed. Just took the course for the LTC this past weekend and I'm going to go to the police station today to pick up an application. I'll scroll through the site and talk to local firearms dealers to get an idea of what is/isn't allowed. I'm not looking for anything too flashy, just a basic 9mm for concealed carry and a semi-auto rifle for target shooting. Also, pretty disappointed that ARs can't have a grenade launcher on them here.
Then move north across the border to NH. The additional commute will be worth the additional freedom. I'd do it in a second if it was feasible for me at this time.

Other options include trawling the classifieds here and (after going green) joining a group buy in the Members' Section. That's how I came by 2/3 of my collection.

Back
Top Bottom