Buying a Car in VT to Register in MA

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
It's not fun but no big deal. You call up your insurance company, give them VIN and VT title #, and get an RMV1, which will include application for MA title. You bring it to the RMV, pay sales tax and registration fees, you walk out with plates. Or you can pay a small fee to have an insurance company runner do it.

Here is a question for you.... Why is that car on the market as the same sale price as similar cars with WELL OVER 100k on them?
Because base model, EBF VT? If it's not a Toyota dealer they just want to move it out.

You can get the name of the previous owner and try contacting them. We've done this. Drives the dealer absolutely nuts but they have to disclose the previous owner. We looked at a used Outback at Wakefield Subaru and got the owner's name. Called her, she said she trades her cars every three years and it was a good car. Then the dealer called and offered a $1,500 price reduction if we gave them a deposit. And car dealers think they are such badass salespeople, but gave away $1,500 when we would have paid the agreed-on price. Total chumps, but I digress.

Masswhole

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It's not fun but no big deal. You call up your insurance company, give them VIN and VT title #, and get an RMV1, which will include application for MA title. You bring it to the RMV, pay sales tax and registration fees, you walk out with plates. Or you can pay a small fee to have an insurance company runner do it.
^^^This.
I just bought a new work van from a virginia dealer and this was the process I needed to follow.
You can't just drive it home with temp plates (as noted above as MA doesn't recognize them) and in my case the vehicle couldn't even be shipped until insured and registered.

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
I posed the question to my insurance agent. She had thought that it was a private transfer at first and said that I could not drive it back. When I meI corrected her that it was from a dealer she stated that the 7-day rule did apply.

Woodstock

NES Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
A Toyota franchised dealer must have a way to test the battery cells in a Prius. They've been selling them for years. If they're less than stellar and the car is clean, figure the price of replacements into the deal and lowball them. A decent Prius with new batts and less than 50,000 miles is worth having.
My daughter has a 2006 with 150K on it, and my brother commutes from the Milford MA area to Nashua NH every day in another old one with God knows how many miles on it. Both cars are on the original batteries. Good luck!

vickers

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The following is based on my purchase of a car at a RI dealer back in 2003.

I had to pay the RI sales tax on the car (it was less than MA at that time), take the receipt (for sales tax) and bring it to one of a handful of MA RMV offices where that served INSTEAD of paying MA sales tax. If I went to any other MA RMVs I would have to pay MA sales tax and then I could fill out forms and request a refund some months later (maybe) from DOR! It was explained to me that there is a compact between 5 of the NE states that this is how it works for interstate sales of cars from dealers. Thus, it would pay to check with MA RMV (probably on the MA RMV website as a FAQ) and the VT dealer.
I was looking into this recently as I may be buying a car in CT from a dealer. Everything I have read says that you only pay sales tax on the vehicle in the state you register the vehicle in.

This RI Subaru dealer faq page seems to support this.
Buying a Car Out-of-State | Info | Balise Subaru serves MA, CT, NH, NY & Beyond!

"Sales Tax Collection: If you found a vehicle that you like here at our showroom, but you don't reside in Rhode Island, fear not. Just because you're purchasing a vehicle at our showroom but you live in Massachusetts or Connecticut doesn't mean you will pay sales tax twice. In fact, you will only pay sales tax to the state that you register your vehicle in."

vickers

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shot an email to the dealer I am talking to in CT. He confirmed to me that I would not pay CT state taxes when purchasing a car from his dealership in CT if I am going to register the car in Mass.

7 day rule for the old registration?
Mass law states that if you trade in your vehicle while buying another car out of state, you can legally transfer the plates to the new vehicle in order to drive it home as long as you go to the RMV in MA within 7 days to process the transfer of registration to the new car and pay any taxes. Prior to taking possession of the vehicle you would have to have gotten the RMV1 from your insurance co. so they can stamp it. And you are required to keep the bill of sale and RMV1 paperwork in the car while you drive it prior to going to the RMV. There are some exceptions so you need to read the law.

Massachusetts allows a grace period of 7 calendar days from the date you dispose of your previous vehicle to register your newly acquired vehicle.

Mark from MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I posed the question to my insurance agent. She had thought that it was a private transfer at first and said that I could not drive it back. When I meI corrected her that it was from a dealer she stated that the 7-day rule did apply.
Its fairly simple if all the paperwork, RMV-1, Title, Sales Document is in order. Sales tax will be paid to MA.

Make sure the dealer has the title. In your case they should....but make sure.

A lot of dealers are taking lease vehicles in and not paying them off, until they are resold. The title gets held up at the bank and there is NO WAY you will get your registration in 7 days.

This practice should be illegal, and maybe it is..... but I've seen a lot of dealers doing it. They get a lease return in, or at trade they didn't feel like paying off, money is owed on it to Toyota or whomever the manufacturer is, or the bank, and they don't pay it off til a new buyer puts a down payment on it......its a veritable ponzi scheme. The title gets held up for month or more as it switches hands, and you can't register the vehicle until the title is given to the MA registry.

ALWAYS ASK TO SEE THE PHYSICAL TITLE BEFORE EVEN DEALING ON A CAR!!!

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Ruh Roh. What happened?
We finally struck a deal, had written the check, the salesman went to the back to get the paperwork together and came back shortly, "We don't have the title." They had taken the car in about 2 weeks ago and sent the title that was with it to get it transferred to them. It had not come back yet. They were kinda flustered and said that as soon as they got it, they would immediately do all of the registry paperwork and deliver the car to us in Mass.

I almost demanded my check back but the wife did the one thing you shouldn't do in front of them, say that she still really wanted the car.

I had just about walked out twice before, once over fees, and once over the fact that they only had one key and to get another one made, complete with the semi-hidden conventional metal key (for emergency entrance only) was $400. Shortly after that they agreed to give us $500 for her van and reduced some of the fees about $200.

I will probably never buy a car from out of state again and almost never again with someone who is not prepared to walk out of the deal if it is not good.

Go to 6:25 in this clip.

JayMcB

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
you should tell them you want to drive it around on their dealer plate until they fix your registration.

fyi, the $500 they gave you for the van was just out of their margin. even @namedpipes wouldn't a rusted out 2005 caravan....

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow. What a pain in the ass! We've had 3 vehicles here in VT that we imported from MA. All we had to do was just go to the DMV and register them. They took care of any taxes and paperwork right there...

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I will probably never buy a car from out of state again and almost never again with someone who is not prepared to walk out of the deal if it is not good.

Go to 6:25 in this clip.

[/QUOTE]

Have bought my last two vehicles out of state and I wouldn’t hesitate to do so again if it makes sense to me. If I can save a couple of grand for a day of running to the insurance agent and DMV I’m good with that. We buy new and keep them as long as possible so that may make a difference.

I don’t know what it is but the local dealers just won’t compete. When we bought my wife’s Mazda the local dealer was more than 2k higher and wouldn’t budge. They have been good with the warranty work though so I use them for that.

Never want something so bad that you have to have it.

At least your wife will be happy with the car. In that long run it’s worth it

Bob

Top Bottom