• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buying a Car in VT to Register in MA

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Does anyone have experience(s) buying a vehicle in VT and registering it in MA?

My wife just found a potential really good deal on an older but seldom-used Prius at Faith's in Westminster VT. I'm trying to figure out how many hoops we have to jump through to get an MA registration.

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
We figured that. The question is how fast the paperwork can flow from VT dealer to MA RMV and back.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
We figured that. The question is how fast the paperwork can flow from VT dealer to MA RMV and back.
Not a great answer...but as fast as the dealer wants to do it.

I know people that bought cars in TX and the paperwork was done in less than a week.

Did you call and ask the dealer?

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
We called to put a down payment to hold it till we can get up there on Saturday. The manager was going to text me to confirm this. An hour ago. No word back from them yet.

Getting bad vibes.

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
IDK If they can do that if they don’t have a mass dealers license.

In the last few years I have bought a car in Hartford and a travel trailer in New York. Neither dealer was a Massachusetts licensed dealer and I had to do the RMV1 form running around. The dealers filled it out but I had to go to my insurance agent for the insurance stamp and then to the DMV.

Bob

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
We called to put a down payment to hold it till we can get up there on Saturday. The manager was going to text me to confirm this. An hour ago. No word back from them yet.

Getting bad vibes.
Is this a big dealership? (Think Boch) or a street corner dealer with 20 cars?

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Pick Up truck, U Haul CAR TRAILER ( not a dolly) an insurance binder on the car.... see it they will agree

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure of your exact situation, but if you are trading in and hope to have the trade in credit reduce your MA Sales tax, make sure the dealer is on the list in MA.

I found out that there is this need when i purchased a truck at banks in NH. luckily it was a non issue for me.

Also, i transferred my plate from my old ride to the new one. I swapped the plate notified the insurance co and drove it home. Did the registry run the following Monday, you have about 7 days to transfer if i recall correctly. Just need to keep the sales contract with the old registration to drive it legally.

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Well, they finally accepted my down payment and we are going up Saturday morning to see it.

It's a 2005 Toyota Prius Base 4dr with 41,000 miles. Back story is it was a car kept at a vacation home for occasional use. Pictures look very clean but I am concerned with

1. Hidden rust
2. Battery condition.

Wife is all excited, she sees cheap car, good gas mileage, will probably fall in love right away and want it. Does not understand why it has to be so hard to buy and register, can't we just do it on the spot. She does not deal with everyday stress very well.

The trade-in will be a rusting out 2005 Dodge Caravan. Not even sure they will take it.

Being married to this woman is just one big challenge after another.

Last edited:

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Another question: Can you accurately test the condition of the hybrid batteries?

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Here is a question for you.... Why is that car on the market as the same sale price as similar cars with WELL OVER 100k on them?
That is a very good question which I cannot answer.

I am beginning to develop the questions which I intend to ask the dealer.

Woodstock

NES Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Your insurance agent is the best source of info, but I think if you decide to buy it, you pay for it, get hold of the VT title and bring that to your insurance agent. Then you register it and go back and drive it home. There may be a faster way, and maybe one of the NES car guys will chime in.
ETA: If you drive up there, trade in the old car and pay for the new one then and there, you can swap the plates onto the new one and run for a week or so. You have to get rid of the old one, though.

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Call you insurance agent and get them going on your new registration. ?
2005 prius..... Last owners dumped it knowing the hybrid batt is out of warranty. So unless you get a warranty stating they will change the hybrid battery under extended warranty start thinking is this something you really want.
i only see a handful of hybrids in our shop.
The oldest is a Gen 1. After 16 years the owner put a new cell in it when the engine seemed to constantly run and over all performance suffered. IIRC out of pocket was around $3k.
Gen 2s batteries are probably $4-6k.

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Call you insurance agent and get them going on your new registration. ?
2005 prius..... Last owners dumped it knowing the hybrid batt is out of warranty. So unless you get a warranty stating they will change the hybrid battery under extended warranty start thinking is this something you really want.
i only see a handful of hybrids in our shop.
The oldest is a Gen 1. After 16 years the owner put a new cell in it when the engine seemed to constantly run and over all performance suffered. IIRC out of pocket was around $3k.
Gen 2s batteries are probably $4-6k.
I jumped on one of the Prius forums and stated scanning the threads. One jumped out at me, an owner was having battery problems with only 7K miles per year. Whoever was answering him said that these batteries do not like to sit unused. The one I am looking at averaged 3K miles per year.

Two questions I will have: Are these the original batteries and what battery warranty are you offering? A "yes" and a "no" and I am going to advise the wife to walk away.

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
14 years of sitting be sure to look rodent damage.
Keep in mind the hybrid Batt is out of warranty Unless they have extended it?
Only know one person to replace a Gen 1 and IIRC it was around $3200 out of pocket?

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
The trade-in will be a rusting out 2005 Dodge Caravan. Not even sure they will take it.
The only way the trade works for you is if they will take it and scrap it, and that opens the door for a legal 7 day transfer of MA plates ( something we beat to death earlier this week)

NO dealer is going to take it and do anything but scrap it, there is too much liability involved, especially after they charged an Vehicle Inspector/Mechanic after a rot box he passed got into an a accident with a fatality. He was charged with Manslaughter, got it pleaded down to reckless endangerment, and ended up doing time

A Barre man was arrested after investigators said he didn’t thoroughly inspect a vehicle involved in a fatal crash.

Officers arrested Steven Jalbert on charges of manslaughter and reckless endangerment.

Investigators said Jalbert inspected Donald and Elizabeth Ibey's 1992 Chevrolet Corsica in May 2014, but didn’t inspect the car well enough before passing it. Elizabeth, 83, died in a car crash two months later. Her death could have been prevented, investigators said.

"When you go in and you pay the fees to have your vehicle inspected you're depending on that inspection mechanic to take the time to go through examine that vehicle and tell you 'yes that vehicle is safe to drive,'" said Glen Button, director of enforcement at the DMV.

The Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles has 1,100 inspection locations across the state and 5,900 licensed mechanics.

Investigators said Ibey’s brake lines and rocker panels were rusted, corroded and in a visibly unsafe condition when Jalbert passed the car.

According to the police affidavit, Jalbert didn't test the brakes, remove a wheel, put the vehicle on a lift or test it on the road. Investigators said AJ's Sunoco, where Jalbert works, was using an out-of-date manual.

Button said it is imperative for mechanics to follow the steps the state has laid out for annual safety equipment inspections.

"It really is critical. They're examining the suspension of the vehicle, the steering mechanism of the vehicle, they're looking at the exhaust. Any of those systems, if there is a problem it could really be tragic," he said.

Jalbert pleaded not guilty Tuesday. He faces up to 16 years in prison and a fine of $4,000 if convicted on all charges.

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, they finally accepted my down payment and we are going up Saturday morning to see it.

It's a 2005 Toyota Prius Base 4dr with 41,000 miles. Back story is it was a car kept at a vacation home for occasional use. Pictures look very clean but I am concerned with

1. Hidden rust
2. Battery condition.

Wife is all excited, she sees cheap car, good gas mileage, will probably fall in love right away and want it. Does not understand why it has to be so hard to buy and register, can't we just do it on the spot. She does not deal with everyday stress very well.

Being married to this woman is just one problem after another.
Dealership will give you a temp vt plate and you drive it home and register in mAss

Easy/Peasy

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dealership will give you a temp vt plate and you drive it home and register in mAss

Easy/Peasy
6% sales tax in VT, Then you get a 6.25% "use tax" in MA when you register it in state.

Registration transfer is the best option since he is trading it in.

OP, ask the dealer how VT collects the auto sales tax. Make sure they do it at registration time and not at the sales transaction.

Never mind, found it:

Purchase and Use Tax
Purchase and Use Tax is due at the time of registration and/or title at a percentage of the purchase price or the National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) clean trade-in value, whichever is greater, minus value of trade-in vehicle or any other allowable credit.

Vehicle Taxation | Department of Motor Vehicles

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
6% sales tax in VT, Then you get a 6.25% "use tax" in MA when you register it in state.

OP, ask the dealer how VT collects the auto sales tax. Make sure they do it at registration time and not at the sales transaction.
You SHOULD get a credit in mAss for tax paid to another state.....unless mAss is totally retarded

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You SHOULD get a credit in mAss for tax paid to another state.....unless mAss is totally retarded
Good question because mAss is a sh!tshow:

"However, if the motor vehicle or trailer was bought outside Massachusetts and brought into Massachusetts within 6 months of the purchase date, 1 of the following scenarios applies:

The buyer must pay part of the Massachusetts use tax:
  • If the state or territory it was bought in allows a corresponding exemption/credit for sales/use taxes paid to Massachusetts and the rate of tax paid to that state or territory is less than the Massachusetts use tax rate.
  • The use tax is calculated by taking the difference between the Massachusetts use tax rate (6.25%) and the other state's tax rate, and multiplying that difference by the sales price.
Motor Vehicle Sales and Use Tax "

Then:
"
V. Reciprocity with Other Jurisdictions

A. The following jurisdictions have a credit similar to that provided in G.L. c. 64I, § 7(c) for all state taxes lawfully required by, and actually paid in, other states, and the applicable tax rates in these states equal, or exceed 5%. Accordingly, except as otherwise noted, Massachusetts use tax is not due on any item on which a sales or use tax or its equivalent was required to be paid and actually was paid without any right to a refund or credit in:

• SNIP FOR SIZE
  • Vermont
  • SNIP FOR SIZE

TIR 03-1: Exemption From Massachusetts Use Tax for Tax Paid Under Laws of Another State "

Now, if VT has an abatement process, does that mean you pay tax in both states and need to file for an abatement in VT to get some of it back?

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98.1%
51   1   0

Never mind, found it:

Purchase and Use Tax
Purchase and Use Tax is due at the time of registration and/or title at a percentage of the purchase price or the National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) clean trade-in value, whichever is greater, minus value of trade-in vehicle or any other allowable credit.

Vehicle Taxation | Department of Motor Vehicles
The following is based on my purchase of a car at a RI dealer back in 2003.

I had to pay the RI sales tax on the car (it was less than MA at that time), take the receipt (for sales tax) and bring it to one of a handful of MA RMV offices where that served INSTEAD of paying MA sales tax. If I went to any other MA RMVs I would have to pay MA sales tax and then I could fill out forms and request a refund some months later (maybe) from DOR! It was explained to me that there is a compact between 5 of the NE states that this is how it works for interstate sales of cars from dealers. Thus, it would pay to check with MA RMV (probably on the MA RMV website as a FAQ) and the VT dealer.

Top Bottom