• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buyers Remorse, Guns you NEVER should have bought

Patriot

NES Member
Sorry for hijacking the Billo thread but I never had any seller's remorse. I
did have plenty of buyer's remorse though. I bought a S&W Model 28 that I
really didn't want. Kept it for a couple of years and sold it. I then purchased a
S&W 639 which had to be the biggest piece of crap ever made. Traded it back
to the shop I bought it from to buy the next worse gun I ever owned, a Ruger
Redhawk. Nothing wrong with it except it just didn't give me any enjoyment
shooting it. I felt like I was on the wrong end of a beating every time I took it
to the range. Sold that and thought that I would take it a little easy and then
bought a S&W Kit gun (.22). Not enough oomph and didn't fit the hand very
well. Sold that and then bought a S&W Chief's Special in .38. Couldn't wait to
get rid of it. I never looked back on any of these with any remorse selling them,
but plenty of remorse buying them.

TBP

Last edited:
Charter Arms AR-7, I took it out into the woods to try it out right after I bought it, the charging handle fell off and couldn't find it in the leaves. I replaced it with a door lock button from a 1970 hemi cuda, hey it was a great fit! I ended up getting new lock buttons for the cuda anyway.

Bought a Beretta 92FS. Twice. Didn't learn the first time that it was kind of big for a 9mm and not particularly accurate, so I sold it and bought another a few years later, this time in SS. Really nice looking gun, reliable, just not fun to shoot and not very practical unless you're in the military, I guess. Ended up selling it to buy my Ruger 77/22 rifle.

Chris

Both of the Sigs I have owned. 220 and a 245. I shot both of them poorly so I dumped them. I recently tried the 220 again and was sure I made the right decision.

SiameseRat said:
I don't regret buying any of my guns. I do however regret not having enough money to buy the guns on my wish list. And others.

Same here SR. I love all my babies. I have a few times grumbled at my Glenfeild Mod. 60 .22 It's a pain to clean, and it a TOTAL ammo-princess. But if you feed her CCI Standard Velocity in the CARDBOARD BOX (not the plastic one) she shoots like a dream. Just about anything else, it'll jam on EVERY shot! Still for $60, I can't compalin

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

dreppucci007 said:
OMG, I'm so tempted to make a comment...<struggling to hold back comment> [thinking]

Puh-leeze note the careful construction of my sentence -- I said "new gun", not "Is Patrick going to get you a gun for Valentine's Day."

Keep ya mind outta da gutta!

Kalahari said:
From what I've heard, most soldiers don't find it very practical either.

Some of us may prefer the 1911A1's we used to have, but the only problem we find with the M9 (92FS) is the caliber being on the small side. For most of us, a rifle or carbine is more practical. Some of us would use M14's, if given the choice. Tank and I are 2 of those folks.

My assigned weapon (and Tank's) is an M9. I'm also suppossed to have an M4/M4A1 as well, but we don't have them in state yet, and they don't make us substitute the M16A2 for them. If this sounds confusing, we're also suppossed to be Combat Vehicle Crewmembers (M88A1 Recovery Vehicle).

I've found the M9 to be easy to shoot, if you can shoot at all. Easier to qualify with than the 1911A1.

By far, my worst to date was a Beretta 92FS, It would stovepipe or fail to feed or extract on just about every other round. Tried changing mags, different ammo, new recoil spring, polished the feed ramp and replaced extractor....nothing changed. Finally gave up and sold it.[laugh]

Boy... that's a toughie. Which did I hate worse, the shot-out Colt .357 that The Gun Room in Shrewsbury foisted off on me, or the AMT Hardballer that was a jam-o-matic? Um... I guess that'd have to be: BOTH!!! I was glad to see BOTH of those go away.

Sold the Colt (and don't remember what I bought with the $$$ - I think I put the money to my 686P) and traded the AMT for my Ruger P90. Now THAT'S a good gun! Come to think of it, so's the 686 - I'd carry either one of them for defense in a heartbeat.

Ross

Nickle, it's not that it's a bad gun, it's just that it's too weak for military use. Of course, I wouldn't know first hand, I just listen to what soldiers have to say, so I'm sure others will have a different opinion of it.

Kalahari said:
Nickle, it's not that it's a bad gun, it's just that it's too weak for military use. Of course, I wouldn't know first hand, I just listen to what soldiers have to say, so I'm sure others will have a different opinion of it.

That's the biggest problem. I much prefer the 1911 over it. But, as I stated earlier, my first choice would be my Sig P220. I'd take that into combat over the other two any day.

Cross-X said:
My least thrilling buy? A cheap Norinco SKS rifle from The Fair in Milford.

Nothing special about it, other than the furniture I had refinished.

Safe queen extraordinaire!

Holy shit, I haven't thought of that place in years. I used to go their every Saturday with my mom after leaving the Big D.

SW380 - a good small gun but didn't click with me.
Raven .25 - a not so good small gun that didn't click with me. Went bang every time, though.

Good part - sold both for just about what I paid for them and bought a SW332 scandium/titanium .32 revolver.

S&W Model 41 - Sold... I thought it would be a good idea to get the pistol I learned on in school. I think I took it to the range twice. Probably awesome for competition, but way too much $$$ sitting in a gun I never shot.

Glock 27 - Traded... Probably not a good first centerfire pistol. Gave me the pistol flinch from hell. The gun is gone. The flinch remains.

Enfield No 4 Mk 1 from 1941 - Anybody want it? Got this while I thought it might be fun to become a milsurp collector. I cleaned it up and gave it some BLO. Was fun to work on and think about and look at but now it's taking up a space I'd rather have for something to go shoot.

Para Ord 16.40 - Awesome gun, but should've gotten it in .45. Anybody want this one too?

AR15 - Built a pre ban AR15 to my liking after selling the S&W41. I might like this after I get some mags that work, but after all that work and $$$ I think I like my SAR-3 better anyway. This might be up for sale soon too, to be replaced by a shorty M1A.

OK, I've got a 6" S&W 686, one of the very first ones out. I still enjoy shooting it, but there is a lottle remorse involved. The distributer was taking a long time meeting demand when they first came out, so I kept dropping by the gun shop every week or two to see if my order had come in yet. One day I walk in, and they've got stacks of cardboard boxes against the wall. I go over and take a look at several dozen HK-91A1's and A3's, priced about the same as my Smith. I seriously considered giving up on my order and walking out with the A3 instead. Nothing against the 686, but I really, really wish I had followed that impluse.

Ken

I'd have to say the 5" P22. What a royal peice of crap that was. It would never reliably feed any sort of ammo. I had done my homework and bought the latest serial numbers both on the frame and on the mags. When it wasn't stove-piping or jamming on a feed, the faux-compensator would come loose, the barrel thread cap would come loose, the screw that fixed the barrel to the frame would come loose ... After barely a 100 rounds, there was considerable damage to the under side of the slide. These little ears protruding from the frame were eating at the slide, only stopped by a pin made of an apparently harder metal embedded in the slide (seems like an after thought on the manufacturers part). It does LOOK cute but that's about all it did for me. I like quality in a gun. The P22 has none.

Sold it for a considerable loss and bought a Ruger MK III 5.5 stainless bull barrel. Now that thing will last forever! Well made, strong parts and with a rubber mallet, is easy enough to take apart and put back together.

KMaurer said:
OK, I've got a 6" S&W 686, one of the very first ones out. I still enjoy shooting it, but there is a lottle remorse involved ... Nothing against the 686, but I really, really wish I had followed that impluse.

Ken
Ken,
You posted that while I was typing mine .. scared me! I picked up a 6" S&W 686P last week! At least the gun itself is alright. :)

Cross-X said:
Puh-leeze note the careful construction of my sentence -- I said "new gun", not "Is Patrick going to get you a gun for Valentine's Day."

Keep ya mind outta da gutta!

Ah yes, but the un-careful construction included the terminology "give you a..." as opposed to the "get you a..." which you used this time [laugh] eh, whatever

I'll have to agree on that Norinco. Sure, they can be fixed up to work well. Problem is, you'll then have as much money spent as a used Fed Ord or M1A will cost you, or MORE.

Back
Top Bottom