• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buy a FT2DR now or wait for newer model?

You already have a handheld why would you need another one. They all function the same. Study and get your General and then spend your money on a HF radio and antenna. There is a whole other world of Ham Radio beyond the repeater. Call me on the local repeater 147105, 162.2 N1HM and we can discuss.

Good advice in both posts.

No matter what you buy and when, in 3-12 months a newer model will come along. If you really have a use for all those great features today, buy it.

OTOH, for not much more $ you can good used HF rig and work the world. The General ticket adds unlimited ways to enjoy ham radio. The whole world is at your antenna.

Thank you everybody.

I am going to eventually learn to use my VX-6R instead of buying a new rig.

"The whole world is at your antenna." - not exactly. I live in a condo and can't have an antenna. It would be too hard for me to install on in the attic.

The draw to the FT2DR is so much because it looks so easy to use!

Can you please elaborate.

I can take a joke!
It's a term in the IDPA rulebook used to assess a penalty fo DQ someone for something "not right" but not specifically prohibited. It was once used to DQ Taran Butler several days after he won a major match.

It's a term in the IDPA rulebook used to assess a penalty fo DQ someone for something "not right" but not specifically prohibited. It was once used to DQ Taran Butler several days after he won a major match.

So you are saying to learn the radio I have now and not buy the fancy one with the touch screen?

So you are saying to learn the radio I have now and not buy the fancy one with the touch screen?

Its a nice radio with digital features but it's just a handheld. The firmware to run them is much easier to use regardless of the touch screen. I have the FT1D and had the VX-7 and the FT1d is a lot easier to use.

In hindsight, I wish this was my approach to this hobby. I have a few handhelds and every time I spend some time with one and get to know it well, I lose track of how to use the others past turn on, tune in, and PTT.

For now, I am over new handhelds. I need a mobile for my truck, but after that, I am spending my time on learning the General test and saving my money for HF stuff.

In hindsight, I wish this was my approach to this hobby. I have a few handhelds and every time I spend some time with one and get to know it well, I lose track of how to use the others past turn on, tune in, and PTT.

For now, I am over new handhelds. I need a mobile for my truck, but after that, I am spending my time on learning the General test and saving my money for HF stuff.

good idea

Back
Top Bottom