Buy a 10/22 or a CMMG conversion kit for my AR?

So the land I usually shoot on was recently put up for sale, and I can't shoot there right now, or possibly ever again. While I'm working towards a range membership, (the place I'd want is a tad pricy, and requires a lot of volunteer hours I don't really have to give) I'm stuck with the public range @ Great Swamp. They don't allow centerfire. So I'm thinking about getting a conversion kit for my AR. I'm looking at the CMMG india, and notice I can just buy a 10/22 for a little less. Alternately for a little more I could get a range membership.

So there's my conundrum, I'm putting it to you guys for advice.

Do I:

• Get the CMMG kit? Pros: More trigger time on the AR. Cons: Accuracy, I hear it gets the gas system pretty dirty, seems spendy for what it is.
  • Get a 10/22 Pros:Everyone seems to love em! Cons:???
  • Just suck it up and get the range membership. Pros: I'll be able to shoot my AR and other centerfire, it seems like a decent place. I won't have to deal with the shenanigans of a public range. Cons:I don't get a new toy. Volunteer hours.

What do NES?

You can't go wrong with a 10/22.

I do have a stainless CMMG kit, and I love shooting it. I would love it more if I weren't limited to 10 round mags. It has been absolutely flawless with every type of .22lr I have tried, including subsonics. I mostly plink steel targets with it, so I am not too concerned with accuracy. It's not going to be as accurate as a 'real' .22 rifle, but it is fun to shoot.

Either way, you won't make a bad choice.

i'd imagine you'll be doing D., all of the above. Just pick the order.

Already having a membership where I can shoot everything, and a nice 10/22, I ended up using cheaper lower i built out of an 80% receiver and dedicating a Chiappa .22 upper. It's wikkid pissah!

10/22. The barrel twist in your AR is wrong to get good range play with. .22 wants 1:16 twist. That said. A .22 conversion for the AR is nice and all for going through drills and whatnot. But I won't be leading up my nice sabre defense barrels with dirty .22 ammo. Plus everyone should have a 10/22. (and a lever gun. but the .22 first.)

I have one of the older CMMG kits, before they started giving them stupid names.

I love it. I use it in an AR with a 1:12 twist so it is actually very accurate. I'm sure I would lose some of that accuracy in a 1:9. And the heavier .22's are more accurate than the lighter ones. The only real con is the filth. But stay away from Thunderbolts and you're OK. The AR in 1:12 is GTG with up to 55g bullets. The 62's are iffy. So you have the .22 and .223 option. I have an $850 10/22. It does beat the AR for accuracy but at 25 yards it is negligible. At 50 yards things start to shake out.

If you are willing to drag your butt out to Great Swamp from Chepachet (and you must be nuts to do that- or you're not really from RI), you should try Narragansett Gun Club in Exeter. It is right off of I95. For $300 a year you don't have to do hours (at least after your first year). But the rifle range is closed until September while they rebuild it. But if you try to get in now, it won't be until Sept. until you get in anyway.

Cmmg dedicated upper solves the accuracy and gas system issues.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

If you are willing to drag your butt out to Great Swamp from Chepachet (and you must be nuts to do that- or you're not really from RI), you should try Narragansett Gun Club in Exeter. It is right off of I95. For $300 a year you don't have to do hours (at least after your first year). But the rifle range is closed until September while they rebuild it. But if you try to get in now, it won't be until Sept. until you get in anyway.
Wallum Lake is muy bien, no? And a lot closer for him. I'm thinking of joining there, and it's a hike for me.

Cmmg dedicated upper solves the accuracy and gas system issues.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Could also fire a few shots of 223/556 to clean out the gas system

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wallum Lake is muy bien, no? And a lot closer for him. I'm thinking of joining there, and it's a hike for me.

Probably, but he was concerned about cost and work hours. I have no idea what Wallum Lake requires a year but NCG is cheap at $300 (in my opinion) and there is a lot of turnover so its easy to get in. And they are always looking for new members. Perhaps if they did not close their rifle range all summer they would have less turn-over...

Probably, but he was concerned about cost and work hours. I have no idea what Wallum Lake requires a year but NCG is cheap at $300 (in my opinion) and there is a lot of turnover so its easy to get in. And they are always looking for new members. Perhaps if they did not close their rifle range all summer they would have less turn-over...
It's $300 per year with no work hours (less if you do work), and $150 initiation fee. They still have membership openings as far as I know. And it's an awesome facility, plus it has this in the pistol action pits:

phoca_thumb_l_walls5.jpg

Anyway, this has gone OT, and I'm not really "selling" Wallum Lake, I just like the place. OP, I think a 10/22 has it all over the conversion kit. You will be happier if you intend to shoot further than 25 yards, since the accuracy of the AR conversions is very poor.

I'd go with the 10/22. Tons of options as far as parts go, better accuracy, tons of fun, great for breaking in nervous first timers (I have yet to have one person not want to try my bigger stuff after starting them with a MKIII and 10/22 regardless of their initial apprehension), and it gives you a solid Appleseed gun. So many pros to owning one. Conversion kits seem a little one-trick pony to me while paying about the same. Plus that new gun feeling!

A lot of good advice, thanks guys. I think I'm going to suck it up and try to join Wallum Lake. If I apply this month, I won't get voted in until next month, and it looks like I'll only have to pay a half years due's.

And then I'll get a 10/22.
And maybe after that the conversion kit. [rofl]

I promise, I'm from RI, born and raised. I just don't seem to have the hodophobia. I also don't like Del's, and I don't "know a guy".

The drive to Great Swamp isn't too bad. I live 1 minute from 102, so it's a nice trip down, than a quick hop on the highway for an exit or two, then a little more on 138. Take's about 45 minutes. My work commute is about the same. If things don't pan out with Wallum Lake, I'll look into Narragansett R&G. What size rifle range are they building?

It's $300 per year with no work hours (less if you do work), and $150 initiation fee. They still have membership openings as far as I know.

The application says new members have to perform at least 30 work hrs:
All new members must complete 30 volunteer work hours during the first 12 months of membership, which will be applied toward the following year’s dues reduction schedule. All members are encouraged to contribute volunteer work hours and reduce their annual dues payment. Any work hours performed during a calendar year are applied to the following year’s dues reduction.

Is that not right? My experience comes from talking to a couple people, and reading whats on the application. Nothing more.

Do I:

• Get the CMMG kit? Pros: More trigger time on the AR. Cons: Accuracy, I hear it gets the gas system pretty dirty, seems spendy for what it is.
  • Just suck it up and get the range membership. Pros: I'll be able to shoot my AR and other centerfire, it seems like a decent place. I won't have to deal with the shenanigans of a public range. Cons:I don't get a new toy. Volunteer hours.

What do NES?

My .02...

- Spring for the club membership if possible. Shoot what you want. Suck it up and spend a few hours a year on work detail.
- Dedicated 22lr upper for the ar. Cheap practice on the same platform.
- 10/22. Cool little gun and its always nice to buy a new toy. [grin]
- Conversion kit.

In that order.

If you bring the ammo (and obviously let me at it), you can come and shoot in my backyard all day long. I'm down in Hopkinton, well into the deep dark woods and am set up for .22's at 25 yards. I could probably get aways with .38's and up to .45's on my personal range but .223's would probably rip through my 3/8" steel plate and 2x4 backdrop. It's down a hill into a swamp but I prefer not to take chances. That's why I belong to a club, so I can shoot my M1A's and M1 Garands…. Well, at least once we get to September and my assh@le club opens the range back up. Douchebags are not keen on pro-rating this years dues, even though they are keeping me from shooting for 4 months. Fu@kers.

+1 on the dedicated CMMG 22 upper for the AR. I have had mine for years and many thousands of rounds. I don't own a 10/22 and have no interest in buying one; the 22/AR is all that I need.

Get the membership. .22LR is too hard to come by to have it be the only thing you can shoot.

That said, in your predicament is go with an AR conversion. It's dirty, but firing a regular 5.56 is supposed to blow the crap right out. My conversion kit is made by Ceiner, and it's held up great.

No one has mentioned it yet, but rather than converting a center fire AR, or even buying a dedicated upper, or 10/22 for that matter, have you considered an M&P 15-22? Its roughly the same cost as a decent dedicated upper but is better inmo because it is a whole dedicated designed from the ground up as a .22 and is not tying up a center fire lower. There are advantages to having a .22 upper if you can have one exactly matching your center fire upper for training, but that is not always possible so for fun range toy in the AR platform, the 15-22 is really hard to beat for the money. Not knocking the 10/22 at all, but since you are considering a conversion for your AR I thought the 15-22 was worth mentioning.

15-22 is a good option as well. I will likely get one someday. I lean to the 10/22 most likely because I've had one since my 10th birthday.

I had the CMMG early conversion before the phancy metals and names. I did how ever have to get the anti jamb charge handle when it came out as I did have many of the jams where the case or bullet hangs up between the bolt and groove of the CH. other than that ran great. I found running 22lr not to be any more dirty than cheap 223... never had a problem with barrel leading or gas system issues.
That said I finally bought a dedicated 22lr upper went with tactical solutions LT model. It is more accurate than any stock 10/22 I have or have had . Runs on almost all 22lr..... rem golden and winchester bulk not so much
my current 10/22 is a little ammo picky..........
For all out price a conversion kit vs a 10/22 10/22 all day long Now a 10/22 vs a dedicated upper ??? all but the chiappa are more money than a stock 10/22 so its hard to compare. My 22lr upper gets more range time than my 10/22

Last edited:
So the land I usually shoot on was recently put up for sale, and I can't shoot there right now, or possibly ever again. While I'm working towards a range membership, (the place I'd want is a tad pricy, and requires a lot of volunteer hours I don't really have to give) I'm stuck with the public range @ Great Swamp. They don't allow centerfire. So I'm thinking about getting a conversion kit for my AR. I'm looking at the CMMG india, and notice I can just buy a 10/22 for a little less. Alternately for a little more I could get a range membership.

Do I:

What do NES?

Just to feed the addiction of what you can do next with a 10/22

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520884

I have the CMMG conversion. I personally couldn't justify purchasing a 10/22, which I would not normally use, so the conversion kit seemed to be the best for my situation. My goal was to get the maximum use out of my AR.

Get the membership. .22LR is too hard to come by to have it be the only thing you can shoot.

picked up over 6000 rounds of .22lr in 2 months and never paid more then 7 cents a round. and only bought 1 box at Walmart out of all of my stash.

its out there.

Back
Top Bottom