• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Butler Creek 25 round mags...need help evaluating a deal (pre-ban)

Thank you in advance for any advice.....I have an opportunity to pick up 4 brand new in the plastic butler creek 25 round 10/22 mags for $260 or $65 each....For me price is a relative concept and since I cannot find these anywhere I have no point of reference... I am tempted to purchase them. Anyone know what the going rate for these when they do surface?...I have a feeling that these would be a good buy and would not likely lose money on a resale...Any advice? Experience?

Andrew

I'm not a pre-ban authority, but I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as a "Pre-ban" 10/22 mag..........

They are 25 round magazines..... In Massachusetts I cannot go to a store and buy a new "Hi Cap mag" even for a .22 or any firearm for that matter unless it was manufactured prior to September 13, 1994...this is why i refer to them as "pre-ban".

One would be violating the law by owning a new "Hi-Cap" mag unless they are a LEO.

Please school me if I am able to own .22 Hi Cap mags without violating the law within Massachusetts (I have not run across anything that says I can)....It will save me a boatload.

65 is way too much. don't pay more than 35

Thanks for the info...I would tend to agree based solely on the dollar amount, however, I have yet to see ANY for sale anywhere....I have been to gunshows, gunshops, and scoured the interweb....I saw some old listings from an auction site for $80 (gunsamerica) for 50 round....It is very difficult without a good point of reference....

The seller bought them back in 1998 as pre ban and paid $60 each...

Last edited:
I'm not a pre-ban authority, but I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as a "Pre-ban" 10/22 mag..........

Untrue. I owned 2 such aftermarket 10/22 mags that I bought BEFORE the Fed ban in 1994. They originally sold in the $8-12 range each back then.

One would be violating the law by owning a new "Hi-Cap" mag unless they are a LEO.

LEOs do NOT get a pass on this law. Many may think so, but it is not so if the LEO can't make a claim that the gun is used for LE activities . . . and there is no way to stretch a 10/22 to fit that unless you are an ACO.

Thanks for the info...I would tend to agree based solely on the dollar amount, however, I have yet to see ANY for sale anywhere....I have been to gunshows, gunshops, and scoured the interweb....I saw some old listings from an auction site for $80 (gunsamerica)....It is very difficult without a good point of reference....

The seller bought them back in 1998 as pre ban and paid $60 each...

Ridiculously priced! I sold mine to C-pher back in 2005-6 for $35 each and that would be a fair price.

Next problem is that I am unsure how you can prove/tell that it REALLY is a pre-ban mag! Lots of unscrupulous dealers bring new hi-cap 10/22 mags to gun shows in MA and sell them for a high premium, making felons of unsuspecting buyers. Be very careful.

LenS...thanks....as always well though out and right to the point....I guess the only way to be 100% sure that they are pre ban was to have actually purchased them myself....The next best thing would be to 100% trust the owner of said mags....

Even if I purchased them myself back in 1993 how the heck would I be able to prove to a LEO that they are pre ban unless I had a receipt? Maybe I will stick with 10 rounders...

$65 each? what a blue falcon. SKIP. you can get mags for cheaper. if you do this deal i know you are rolling in money and must sleep on hundred dollar bills with many naked beautiful women. you will also be sending me a check so i can at least get basic cable. please and thank you.

Overpriced. Way overpriced. Even for "verified" prebans (and there really is no such thing on the BC mags anyways, they're all more or less the same).

-Mike

$65 each? what a blue falcon. SKIP. you can get mags for cheaper. if you do this deal i know you are rolling in money and must sleep on hundred dollar bills with many naked beautiful women. you will also be sending me a check so i can at least get basic cable. please and thank you.

Rolling in it... not yet... ask me in 6 months..I do okay..i make it rain with quarters....but what do you consider "many naked beautiful women" ....[wink]...

atilla do you have any skills outside the gun world? (real question not a dig at ya)....I am always looking for "good people" maybe I could get you on your way to basic cable.....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom