• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

But No One uses an AR for Hunting !

No matter how many times this is debunked, some still cling to 2A is about Hunting and AR's have no use in Hunting. Both are fallacies as this NC guy demonstrates:

NC man bags 500-pound wild hog
500lb NC hog.jpg

BERTIE COUNTY, N.C. — A hunter in Bertie County shot and killed a 500-pound wild hog after spotting it last month. The massive animal didn’t stand a chance against veteran hunter Jett Webb’s .308 caliber rifle.

I like how they just called it a Rifle, not Assault Weapon.
Link: http://myfox8.com/2014/03/13/nc-man-bags-500-pound-wild-hog/

Sorry if Dupe - Saw this Thursday and expected it to get linked quickly - Searched several key words but didn't find anything.

People put way too much value in caliber choice. That recently popular video of a guy putting down a 1000 lb moose with a 2 second burst of fire from his glock is a perfect example of this.

You could pretty much take any game in North America with a .223 as long as you pick your shots. In a defensive situation, where the goal is not a humane kill but to end aggression, there is no animal on earth that would not be affected by a half dozen shots from AR.

I built my beowulf specifically for hunting. Plan on using it for bear this year and hopefully a hog as well.

People put way too much value in caliber choice. That recently popular video of a guy putting down a 1000 lb moose with a 2 second burst of fire from his glock is a perfect example of this.

You could pretty much take any game in North America with a .223 as long as you pick your shots. In a defensive situation, where the goal is not a humane kill but to end aggression, there is no animal on earth that would not be affected by a half dozen shots from AR.

I agree with you, but, when hunting, the ethical sportsman tries to kill as quickly as possible. Smaller calibers will do the job, eventually, but a 30-06 is going to dispatch a moose more humanely than a 9mm.

I agree with you, but, when hunting, the ethical sportsman tries to kill as quickly as possible. Smaller calibers will do the job, eventually, but a 30-06 is going to dispatch a moose more humanely than a 9mm.

I agree with you. But this moose was in aggression mode. He stood around to receive a half dozen shots.

In the case of most animals that you hunt, where you don't have time for a second shot, caliber choice is much more important. An aggressive animal is going to by definiton linger around to receive more than one shot.

A 300 grain bullet moving at 1900 fps from my .460 XVR will go thorough a deer length wise, a .223 hollow point . . not so much.

That was a calf of the year by the look of it. I shot a 5.5 year old cow this year that weighed 475 dressed. That was probably a 350-400 pound animal he shot, maybe a little more. Either way I get your point. I agree with your statement but not the sentiment. Yes a .223 in the lungs or heart will kill a bull elk but it is clearly not a great choice of round for task, at least IMO.

Anyone who has hunted for any length of time knows you don't always get a perfect shot, shit happens, animals move, shots can be slightly off intended target etc. I believe we owe it to the animal and the sport to pick a caliber/bullet combo suited to the task. Do you want a .223 round that disintegrates on an elk shoulder and doesn't get the vitals because the animal made a small move at the shot when even a 30-06 with a quality bullet punches through and takes out the lungs.

Hogs are tough animals and hog that size probably had two inches of plate covering the vitals. But like any caliber discussion everyone has an opinion and this is just mine.

That was a calf of the year by the look of it. I shot a 5.5 year old cow this year that weighed 475 dressed. That was probably a 350-400 pound animal he shot, maybe a little more. Either way I get your point. I agree with your statement but not the sentiment. Yes a .223 in the lungs or heart will kill a bull elk but it is clearly not a great choice of round for task, at least IMO.

Anyone who has hunted for any length of time knows you don't always get a perfect shot, shit happens, animals move, shots can be slightly off intended target etc. I believe we owe it to the animal and the sport to pick a caliber/bullet combo suited to the task. Do you want a .223 round that disintegrates on an elk shoulder and doesn't get the vitals because the animal made a small move at the shot when even a 30-06 with a quality bullet punches through and takes out the lungs.

Hogs are tough animals and hog that size probably had two inches of plate covering the vitals. But like any caliber discussion everyone has an opinion and this is just mine.

We do share the same sentiment. I wouldn't hunt a deer with a .223 because I have a .308 available to me. But in a pinch, like if I was hungry and it was all I had, a .223 is more than enough.

I have a friend who has a deer problem in his suburban neighborhood. He baits the animals with apples and sets a motion sensor wired to a clock radio out facing the pile. He leaves the back yard flood lights on all night, the deer aren't afraid of them. When the radio goes on in the middle of the night he gets up and shoots the deer in the head. . . with a .22. Over the last 3 years he is 9 for 9. No deer has moved more than 10 ft. The shot is only 50 ft. He will only shoot if the deer is broad side and totally motionless with its head down eating showing no signs of anxiety. He harvests deer more humanely with a .22 than 95% of the hunters out there, regardless of the caliber they use. If you have the skill, experience, and most importantly discipline to only take the shots you know you can make, you can kill ethically with anything.

Don
p.s. Just so I don't get flamed too bad. The purpose in my friends activities is not about the sport of hunting. Its wildlife control plain and simple. For example, he won't kill a coyote because they eat deer and he thinks the deer population is way out of wack.

Back
Top Bottom