Businesses that support our troops

If you know of any stores or businesses that offer discounts, or show full fledged support of our troops - list them here. Please put in the type of store/business it is and where they are located.

Elm Ice & Oil Co.
Falmouth, Maine
Home heating oil delivery, and dry ice.

The owner/operator, Glen, has willing held a job open for me for nearly two years. It is not required for him to do so because 1) I am a seasonal employee 2) I volenteered for this my second deployment consecutive. Even before I got deployed Glen would give me half the day off on Friday before a drill weekend WITH pay, so I could have plenty of time to drive to drill ( it is a 248 mile one way trip to drill for me).

I know that I've asked Ted at Northeast Trading if I was buying supplies for Paul, did I get a discount. He told me yes.

So, I would ask before thinking that it's just done. But I can tell you that he gave me a discount for the things that I was buying Paul. So as I paid for all of it at once, he took of some money for the things I said I was sending.

Talk to him, but I think that he's pretty open to it.

Army Barracks, Salem MA

I was in Salem in October, and did some shopping at

Army Barracks
361 S. Broadway
Salem NH 03079

The clerk wanted to check my ID, and I offered my retired ID as it was more accessable at the time than my drivers license. With my ID in hand, the clerk told me the store offers 10% off for military; active, reserve or retired.

Drop Zone Amherst, will with Military ID. Army Barracks West Springfield,when we have mentioned it was going to our son in Iraq they gave us a discount. Don't know if they'd do it all the time either. Worth a shot.

Militech is great. Alan had shared what we initially got for him,so we contacted them again and they sent us more alot. Alan loves the stuff and so didn't his platoon. They are also great as far as shipping right away too. We had it here at the house waiting for Alan, when they got their 3 day pass before going over.

Add L.E. Farrell/Pepsi Cola Bottling of Vermont to the list.

James's employer, and they treated him better than great during, and after his deployment. They treated his wife well, during the deployment as well.

It's nice to come back to work, and find out you're getting a better job AND more money. That happened for him.

The local Sears store is also good.

The UPS Store # 3645
11 ROBERT TONER BLVD,, STE 5
NORTH ATTLEBORO, MA 02763-1156 - USA
Phone: (508)643-7333

edited to add that this is the Triboro Plaza where the Shaws is located. It's right off Exit 5 on 95.

They are also doing a Toy's for Tots.

But, if you are shipping to an APO address, all you have to do is bring in whatever you are shipping. You don't have to pack it.

They will box it up and wrap it so fragile items will not break for free to members in the service. All they charge you is for postage.

I asked the owner if it's something that all UPS Stores are doing. He said that he didn't know. But it was something that him and his wife chose to do to support the troops.

One of the boys that were working there said, "God Love them" when the owner said that.

Toys R Us in Williston, VT. They had special shopping hours this past Sunday from 6 to 10 in the evening for military families only, and gave each of us a discount card, as well as refreshments and door prizes.

We bought a couple of items for the granddaughters, and our son showed up and filled two shopping carts.

Looks like the girls are going to have a good Christmas.

Mass is the only state that has a local Veterans Service Officer in each and every town. Many services and benefits are/may be available to a vet depending on her/his situation. If you know a Mass. vet in need refer them to their town or city VSO, they all deserve the best.

The next time you go shopping for soccer balls or related items, look for the brand name Diadora. My wife contacted them to see if they'd be interested in donating some soccer balls that our troops in Afghanistan could distribute to local kids, and they said they'd send some out right away - no questions, no hassles.

www.diadoraamerica.com

ETA: Update 9/17/08. The box containing 11 (!) soccer balls arrived at our house a few days ago and is now in Afghanistan with a growing mountain of other items awaiting distribution on the next Humanitarian Assistance mission, as soon as our guys can find a bit of spare time.

ETA: Update 9/30/08. Staples donated $30 worth of gift certificates, which we used to purchase school supplies. We requested a donation of volleyballs and/or soccer balls from Wilson; they declined to provide any. The US Postal Service offices in the Bolton/Harvard area have been most generous in providing drop-off bins for unwanted winter coats, gloves, and similar articles.

Last edited:
Lowe's & Home Depot - Vets as well as Active Duty

Just found this on ARfcom . . .

Lowe's and Home Depot both offer discounts (claimed to be ~10%) to all Active Duty AND Vets. This includes those with a VA card as well as those that retired.

Enjoy, you folks certainly have earned it!

I was in Salem in October, and did some shopping at

Army Barracks
361 S. Broadway
Salem NH 03079

The clerk wanted to check my ID, and I offered my retired ID as it was more accessable at the time than my drivers license. With my ID in hand, the clerk told me the store offers 10% off for military; active, reserve or retired.

I shop over there as well, but I'm not retired or on active, reserve or guard duty. I just told the guy to look at my veteran plates on my car, lol. It worked out. [grin]

Showcase Cinema's discount half price for military!

Lux Box seating in Foxboro, $7. Eat, Drink and be merry for 7 bucks instead of the normal 24 a head. Meals and Drinks are additional, but its worth seeing a movie WITHOUT teens ruining the movie, its 21+.

GI Joes in North Attleboro/Plainville on Rt 1 has a 10% discount for military (Mil Surplus gear).

Home Depot in South Attleboro does hold true to the 10% Military/Retired Discount.

If I remember anything else, I will edit my post and add them.

The New England branch of the USO

http://www.uso-newengland.org/index.htm

They've got 2 centers, one in Logan, Terminal C, and another in the USCG station in Boston.

I went to the Settle one on my way back from Lewis and the NYC one when i was there in NOV, they have offers for museums, tours and most touristy things that you would do in a city. If you swing by Boston or any other major city, they are worth checking out.

Back
Top Bottom